Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 01-29-2019, 11:00 PM   #1
RoboAdmin
Spam Assassin

Default January 30, 2019: DragonQuest Worldbuilding

January 30, 2019: DragonQuest Worldbuilding

Read this article on the Illuminator.
RoboAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:07 AM   #2
kentreuber

Default Re: January 30, 2019: DragonQuest Worldbuilding

I posted a query to some DQ Yahoo groups.
kentreuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:56 PM   #3
Phergus

Steve - You have mail.
Phergus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:22 PM   #4
Ronbo

I don't want to pollute this thread and divert it from its useful purpose, but I did dearly love that game. There were so many good ideas that I preferred over D&D. I even loved the action points. It was a simple matter to adjust the rules so that a cheetah didn't become the most deadly creature on the planet. ;) My brother preferred RuneQuest, and that had some great ideas too. Steve, I wish you luck in your quest. If you're going to resurrect the book for TFT or GURPS... toss us old DQ fans a bone and put out a PDF for DQ too :)
Ronbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:26 PM   #5
David Johansen

I don't imagine Wizards of the Coast even remember they own this. I came to GURPS from DQ rather than TFT. I had TFT but DQ was more up my alley.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:52 AM   #6
larsdangly

DQ is a genuinely great game; I have raided it many times for spells, and ideas for home-brew systems and house rules. Its merging of the concepts of classes and skills (skill 'bundles') is genius, and, while some of the quantitative aspects of the experience and rank advancement should be re-tuned, the basic structure of the character creation and advancement is outstanding. Plus the combat system is second only to TFT in playability and tactical depth. TSR was evil but smart to kill it off before it could grow.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:23 PM   #7
Don Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
I don't want to pollute this thread and divert it from its useful purpose, but I did dearly love that game. There were so many good ideas that I preferred over D&D. I even loved the action points. It was a simple matter to adjust the rules so that a cheetah didn't become the most deadly creature on the planet. ;) My brother preferred RuneQuest, and that had some great ideas too. Steve, I wish you luck in your quest. If you're going to resurrect the book for TFT or GURPS... toss us old DQ fans a bone and put out a PDF for DQ too :)
Another request from a lifelong (the games’ lives, that is) fan and supporter of both TFT and DQ, also asking for that PDF for DQ.

These are the two fantasy RPG systems I run, both with hefty support from my GURPS reference materials.

Thanks to Ronbo for putting this request out there, and here’s hoping Phergus’ note about an e-mail is a good portent!
Old 01-31-2019, 11:02 PM   #8
ashareem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hawthorne View Post
Another request from a lifelong (the games’ lives, that is) fan and supporter of both TFT and DQ, also asking for that PDF for DQ.

These are the two fantasy RPG systems I run, both with hefty support from my GURPS reference materials.

Thanks to Ronbo for putting this request out there, and here’s hoping Phergus’ note about an e-mail is a good portent!

Oh, Ghods, likewise. Our gaming group* for the past 30 years has alternated between GURPS and DQ (currently we're in a DQ campaign.)

* GMd on a rotating basis by those guys who wrote GURPS for Dummies

Last edited by ashareem; 01-31-2019 at 11:03 PM. Reason: typo
ashareem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:17 PM   #9
ashareem

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
I don't imagine Wizards of the Coast even remember they own this. I came to GURPS from DQ rather than TFT. I had TFT but DQ was more up my alley.
Who knows, but in 1996 TSR was still clinging to it as it's copyrighted property.

I'd love for someone, anyone, to pry it from from Hasbro/Wizards, dust it off, clean it up and reissue it.
ashareem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:43 PM   #10
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashareem View Post
* GMd on a rotating basis by those guys who wrote GURPS for Dummies
Cool, I appreciated that book.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote