Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-26-2018, 11:50 AM   #41
hcobb

Default Re: Polearm charge against a bowman

Don't flinch, because there is no opportunity to dodge against a polearm charge.

Before the charge the victim doesn't know that he will be attacked and so didn't take a dodge on his previous action. The polearm charge preempts the victim's action by going first and taking effect. Should the victim survive they can then take a Dodge option that will protect them until their next action. Right?

Alternatively players can announce they're dodging whenever attacked and if they aren't attacked then they can perform a charge attack or anything else that didn't require less move than they used.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:56 PM   #42
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherro View Post
(And, when we get to sabers & rapiers, they tended to be used with fast cuts from the wrist or elbow rather than from the shoulder.)
Most rapier cuts and slashes require the shoulder. A wrist only is exceptionally weak; a wrist/elbow only is only good for tip-cuts; to get the draw or push, they tend to be whole arm and also torso movement. (Yeah, I fence Rapier.)

Against anything but bare skin, a wrist-only tip slash is pretty weak (and for technical accuracy, the musculature to do so is largely the forearms).
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:14 PM   #43
Helborn

It's only a polearm in a charge that goes first. The examples of a charge with a sword go in order of AdjDX along with non charging swords, bows, thrown weapons and fists. Only charging polearms or polearms receiving a charge go before everyone else.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:18 PM   #44
Helborn

Also, you have to carry a polearm charge through, e.g. Continue moving forward until you are engaged. Can't stop two hexes away and jab.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:59 PM   #45
chrisbender

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Don't flinch, because there is no opportunity to dodge against a polearm charge.
My understanding is you can only dodge missile or thrown weapons, so defend would be the appropriate option here. I don't think it's a big deal that you cannot defend against a pole arm charge as it seems like it would be hard to parry away something that large.

It appears the best defense against a pole arm charge is to be wielding a pole arm of your own, which would give you a chance to strike first if your adjDX is higher.

I think I'll have the last shot missile attack happen at the end of the enemy's movement phase. If an enemy moves to engage an archer, the archer can make his shot at the end of the enemy's movement phase, and this counts as the archer's attack for the turn.
chrisbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:38 PM   #46
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbender View Post
My understanding is you can only dodge missile or thrown weapons, so defend would be the appropriate option here. I don't think it's a big deal that you cannot defend against a pole arm charge as it seems like it would be hard to parry away something that large.

It appears the best defense against a pole arm charge is to be wielding a pole arm of your own, which would give you a chance to strike first if your adjDX is higher.

I think I'll have the last shot missile attack happen at the end of the enemy's movement phase. If an enemy moves to engage an archer, the archer can make his shot at the end of the enemy's movement phase, and this counts as the archer's attack for the turn.
First paragraph, RAW (in Melee) don't allow you to defend with a missile weapon. But I agree that something like a polearm charge would be very hard to parry anyway. It does seem like you should be able to dodge it but the RAW don't allow that either.

Second paragraph. Very true.

Third paragraph. My understanding of the RAW is that you don't "resolve" your "last shot" until your turn comes in the adjDX order - not at the end of the engaging foe's turn. I don't see that it really matters whether you "last shoot" after the charger's turn ends or wait for your turn in the adjDX order, so I'm wondering why you'd change that. If anything, it might be better for you to wait until your turn comes as there may be another foe engaging you by that point and you may decide it would be better to "last shoot" him.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:47 PM   #47
platimus

In general, an archer needs to be wary of any non-missile weapon users getting too close. He needs to be very wary of polearm wielders getting close. It's that simple.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:31 PM   #48
chrisbender

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
My understanding of the RAW is that you don't "resolve" your "last shot" until your turn comes in the adjDX order - not at the end of the engaging foe's turn.
That is also my understanding of the rules. I meant to suggest that I will house rule the "last shot" to happen at the end of the movement step of the engaging target. I think that seems more fun and less confusing.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:55 PM   #49
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbender View Post
That is also my understanding of the rules. I meant to suggest that I will house rule the "last shot" to happen at the end of the movement step of the engaging target. I think that seems more fun and less confusing.
So, the archer will do nothing during the action phase that immediately follows that movement phase?
Old 09-27-2018, 02:57 AM   #50
chrisbender

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
So, the archer will do nothing during the action phase that immediately follows that movement phase?
Correct. That is what I'm thinking.