Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-25-2018, 11:12 AM   #1
Venomous Filigree

Default Some more polearm charge questions

What is the order of attack if two swordsman (adjDX 13) charge a stationary polearm defender (adjDX 11)? What about if three or more swordsman charge? What if the defender is charged from a side or rear hex?
Venomous Filigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:57 AM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Some more polearm charge questions

The polearm user goes first against anyone who moved from disengaged into a front hex of his. He can't attack people to his side or rear, but he does get to try to skewer people charging into his front hexes before any non-pole weapon users act.

If he stood still or only changed facing during movement, he also gets a +2DX.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:02 PM   #3
Helborn

Same is true even if polearm user has lower AdjDX. Polearms in a charge situation go first.

Added. But he can only attack one figure
Old 09-25-2018, 12:04 PM   #4
Helborn

Hmm. What about a sweeping blow?
Old 09-25-2018, 12:09 PM   #5
larsdangly

I don't believe the sweeping blow rules can be applied when benefiting from the double damage of a polearm charge (or when receiving a charge with a polearm). I couldn't tell you WHY I think that, but I know I would enforce it at any table I was GMing.

If you are thinking about the new Melee rules, then the answer is 'NAN'. We know how polearm charges work in the new edition, but there is no sweeping attack in Melee.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:48 PM   #6
Helborn

New ITL pg 126. However it is unclear whether or not it can be done against a charge though it sounds like it would not be in the polearm AdjDX sequence but in the regular AdjDX sequence - which is the way I would parse it.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:11 PM   #7
larsdangly

How do you have a page number for sweeping blow in the new ITL? Are you on some sort of playtest team or something?

Edit: Ooo! I just checked my email and saw the ITL pdf is out ahead of schedule. Very cool...

Last edited by larsdangly; 09-25-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:31 PM   #8
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helborn View Post
New ITL pg 126. However it is unclear whether or not it can be done against a charge though it sounds like it would not be in the polearm AdjDX sequence but in the regular AdjDX sequence - which is the way I would parse it.
I'm not sure what you have in mind but the way I read the rules, you can't perform a "sweeping blow" with a javelin or spear. It has to have a "cutting edge". The rule mentions a "poleaxe" but I don't see "poleaxe" listed in the Weapons Table.

I think you've parsed it correctly. I'm not sure what you mean by "can (sweeping blow) be done against a charge". At the end of a charge, the charger will be adjacent to you (presumably in a front hex), so you can use it then.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:13 PM   #9
larsdangly

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
I'm not sure what you have in mind but the way I read the rules, you can't perform a "sweeping blow" with a javelin or spear. It has to have a "cutting edge". The rule mentions a "poleaxe" but I don't see "poleaxe" listed in the Weapons Table.

I think you've parsed it correctly. I'm not sure what you mean by "can (sweeping blow) be done against a charge". At the end of a charge, the charger will be adjacent to you (presumably in a front hex), so you can use it then.
When someone says 'poleaxe' just think 'pike axe'
Old 09-25-2018, 08:43 PM   #10
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
When someone says 'poleaxe' just think 'pike axe'
Ah. Thanks.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote