Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #31
PseudoFenton

Default Re: [DF] One shot- Crevan Brokenhands Last Rest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
NOW I am affraid of Crevan =). And his loot now is exactly in the details that I like. I alwyas put decorations on my itens, so my players rarely encounter a "simple" broadsword. Even orcs shilds I normaly put a dorwing simbol on them.
I'm glad you like the loot, some of it is still pretty ordinary like the boots, and the mail doesn't have any extra embellishments, although is a custom made piece. I generally just build loot to the picture in my head, and make sure its befitting, for instance if this guy was encountered in the field (in life) I'd have a number of small bits of gear on his person too (whetstone, small knife, perhaps a magical drinking horn, etc) - but he's been buried in his best garb without utility items so they're missing.

He would still have those ordinary boots though, a barbarian walks through more boots than they have sit down meals - so nothing special there. I'm also quite pleased with the helm (cheap and rusty, as he never worked out how to remove the Horns of Intimidation and put them on a new helm), and the Heavy Fur Mantle as its the sort of status symbol a barbarian king would wear.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #32
Mateus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoFenton View Post
I'm glad you like the loot, some of it is still pretty ordinary like the boots, and the mail doesn't have any extra embellishments, although is a custom made piece. I generally just build loot to the picture in my head, and make sure its befitting, for instance if this guy was encountered in the field (in life) I'd have a number of small bits of gear on his person too (whetstone, small knife, perhaps a magical drinking horn, etc) - but he's been buried in his best garb without utility items so they're missing.

He would still have those ordinary boots though, a barbarian walks through more boots than they have sit down meals - so nothing special there. I'm also quite pleased with the helm (cheap and rusty, as he never worked out how to remove the Horns of Intimidation and put them on a new helm), and the Heavy Fur Mantle as its the sort of status symbol a barbarian king would wear.
Yes =). I am a little excited to my players finish the MotFD adventure to run this one. I have alredy put the links for the two in place =). Congrats for your work.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #33
Ego Archive

PseudoFenton- The changes to Crevan are interesting, that would definitely make him more of a challenge. I really like the addition of the combat guide, and the loot inclusions. I will have to try this with your changes as well.

I want to try the encounter in area 7 with the Golem-Armor Swordsman, and then run it with the Steel Golems, to compare the challenge levels. I will have to try that with both versions of Crevan too. At this point I'm going to have to run this quite a few times, to try out the various suggestions and variations. That said, I probably won't make any significant changes soon; I'm writing up the extended version, and would like to get that down.

[DF]One Shot - Crevan Brokenhand's Last Rest

Towndale: A user generated fantasy town for any game system.
Ego Archive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #34
PseudoFenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego Archive View Post
PseudoFenton- The changes to Crevan are interesting, that would definitely make him more of a challenge. I really like the addition of the combat guide, and the loot inclusions. I will have to try this with your changes as well.

I want to try the encounter in area 7 with the Golem-Armor Swordsman, and then run it with the Steel Golems, to compare the challenge levels. I will have to try that with both versions of Crevan too. At this point I'm going to have to run this quite a few times, to try out the various suggestions and variations. That said, I probably won't make any significant changes soon; I'm writing up the extended version, and would like to get that down.
I generally add combat guides to big fight creatures for my games, more so if they're solo (although they're often more rough as its for personal use). I find it helps to have the attack options picked out with a brief of what the creature is good at and how they should engage optimally, that way a quick glance will remind you what they should be doing.

Otherwise you're left reading every line looking for key traits and trying to guess what they're good at, which is even worse when you've never seen the creature before. So I do feel they're needed for "published" material, especially for key scenes or especially tactical fights.

I'm currently running area 7 with basic Steel Golems as outlined in your last revision, the fight is about half way through though so I cant fully comment on it just yet. The lack of an N factor in their placement will cause a very different feel depending on the number of potency of the dungeoneers running through it - of cause Crevan has that issue too though. I'm not sure if you had a specific power level for this dungeon which things should be roughly balanced too?

Either way, I hope you and others have fun with my Crevan variant!
Old 09-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #35
Mateus

So, is this project done? Any updates or changes? In 2 or 3 sessions my players will begin this adventure, but I will extend in some bit cause I want a +- 10 sessions from it all. Will enlarge the "dungeon" a bit and put a lot of trouble until the pcs get there and probably some unspected "old friends" when they get out of the tomb.

I am linking this with the MotFD.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:16 AM   #36
Mateus

Here is a not finished take on my version of the map (it is some 60mb large:

EDIT: OLD LINK. NEW ONE BELLOW.

EDIT: 1 hex = 1m. I am stil working on the right effects of the hexgrid here.

Last edited by Mateus; 09-20-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Mateus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:38 AM   #37
Mateus

Probably the finished version (+-50mb), enjoy:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37717003/PAN...2056%201.5.PNG

ENGLISH TRANSLATION

Final Rest of Crevan Brokenhand

On the arrow is written "Surface".

1 - Stairway Entry
2 - Access Corridor
3 - Antechamber
4 - Main Chamber
5 - Huscarlr's Rest
6 - Temple
7 - Crevan's Tribute
8 - Crevan's Cript
9 - Sealed Chamber
Old 09-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #38
cbower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
Probably the finished version (+-50mb), enjoy:
Very nice!
cbower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #39
Mateus

Here is the map that I will handle to my players for them to find the tomb of Crevan:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37717003/PAN...0200%201.4.PNG

Translating...:

Repouso de Crevan = Crevan's Resting Place.
Refúgio do Veterano = Veteran's Hideaway
Máscaras de Sangue = Blood Masks
Atenção às Colinas = Attetion to the Hills!
Morte de Crevan = Crevan's Death
No Escuro está a Resposta = In the Dark is the Answer
Ignore o Canto do Pássaro = Ignore the Song of the Bird
Queda do Guerreiro = Fall of the Warrior
Na espada não confie = Dont trust in the sword
Pergunte pelo Cervo Cego = Ask for the blind deer.

All the rest are names of places.

EDIT: Link now working. I had updated the map and did not correct it here.

Last edited by Mateus; 03-15-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #40
Mateus

Next wekeend I will begin to run this. Thanks Ego Archive for all work and inspiration. If you guys think is appropriate (and Ego did not mind), I can post the enemies that I use and how things went in my version of the adventure (that I plan to be +- 10 to 15 sessios long)

Last edited by Mateus; 03-15-2013 at 09:21 AM.

Tags
adventures, dungeon fantasy, one-shot, [df]