Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #11
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.
Default Re: Sweet heaven is this well written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
P.109 of Dungeon Fantasy - Adventurers, under "As You Like It," that's the most absolute madman thing in the entire set.
I really like that piece. It hands over a great deal of flexibility (or the fun buzzword - agency) to the player on something that really has no impact on DF and many other RPGs.

So it gives the player and GM something really cool at no "cost" to the game.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:23 AM   #12
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
P.109 of Dungeon Fantasy - Adventurers, under "As You Like It," that's the most absolute madman thing in the entire set.
"You're wearing a suit of Heavy Scale?"

"Actually my character is wearing a spiked codpiece, a wide leather weight-lifting girdle with studs and a giant buckle, gigantic spiked pauldrons held on by no visible means that don't hinder my vision, random metal bracers, and huge fur boots. With spikes."

"And your Plate helmet is...?"

"A steel headband."

I am 100% OK with this, as long as the player is fine with it being conductive, enemies mysteriously knowing that all that bare skin is actually armored, and that your pauldrons won't randomly fall if poked gently. And no bonus damage beyond the gauntlets and boots stuff. I'd usually suggest something like that be Ornate so they can intimidate/impress people with it, but it's not mandatory.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:07 AM   #13
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB.6361 View Post

I really like that piece. It hands over a great deal of flexibility (or the fun buzzword - agency) to the player on something that really has no impact on DF and many other RPGs.
And you'll note I used that a few times for the sample NPCs. Look at Francesco Zombani's clothing and armor, Argua's "light leather armor," and how Zephyra's clothing is defined.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:47 PM   #14
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
And you'll note I used that a few times for the sample NPCs. Look at Francesco Zombani's clothing and armor, Argua's "light leather armor," and how Zephyra's clothing is defined.
I certainly noted! In addition, my household got great enjoyment from the quirks on those characters (and Delvers to Go) and were inspired to be more creative with theirs.

Last edited by MIB.6361; 09-27-2017 at 12:48 PM. Reason: dood, seriously.
MIB.6361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:03 PM   #15
kmunoz

I just opened my box last night (I moved across the country a month ago and my DFRPG showed up the day after I left the East Coast).

I've been critical of the tone of GURPS DF in the past, and I was slightly concerned it was going to be repeated in DFRPG. I'm so relieved and happy that the tone is, by and large, a lot more straightforwardly "insider" than its original incarnation. There is still talk of munchkinism and silliness, but overall the text takes the genre a lot more seriously than it might have done. It doesn't talk down to its audience and it doesn't (however inadvertently and unintentionally - I'm not a post-modernist by any stretch of the imagination and so I strive to take authorial intent at face value) dismiss the enjoyment of the style as childish, which is something I detected throughout the GURPS DF series.

DFRPG just may be the game I've always wanted. I'm hopeful that it does really well in retail and gets a chance to spread its wings.
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:42 PM   #16
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmunoz View Post
I'm so relieved and happy that the tone is, by and large, a lot more straightforwardly "insider" than its original incarnation.
I agree. The whole "serious roleplaying is badwrongfun" vibe from DF put me off for a long time, I happy that nonsense is not present in DFRPG.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote