Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:00 AM   #141
TheAmishStig

Default Re: Ogre Playmat M1 Preorders at Warehouse 23

Oh nice. Needs less equipment than I gave it credit for [but seriously, I do want a guillotine paper cutter, it'd make carving out stuff like support easels so much easier]...but that's my fear, that someone will screw it up and drag SJG's name through the mud.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:02 AM   #142
Mack_JB

A guillotine cutter wouldn't be much use on a playmat, too stretchy and prone to move around while cutting. One of those Olfa style rotary cutting wheels and a straightedge would likely work best since those cutters are designed for cutting cloth.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:04 AM   #143
offsides

I wonder if this is the sort of thing where you might try to geomorph only 1 side, assuming the production tolerances are close enough. That is, if you know the north side of M1 is clean, then make M2 such that the south side connects cleanly and don't worry about the rest. Certainly not as satisfying as a full geomorph, but it's better than nothing :)
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:13 AM   #144
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
A guillotine cutter wouldn't be much use on a playmat, too stretchy and prone to move around while cutting. One of those Olfa style rotary cutting wheels and a straightedge would likely work best since those cutters are designed for cutting cloth.
Good to know. I've got a couple neoprene "fender guard" things that I'd like to cut down, they're way too big and just get in the way currently.

For support materials I'm currently using one of those slidey-tab things, the $10 hunks of junk from Staples. It gets the job done, mostly, but I'd like to have much cleaner cuts, and the ability to cut vertical edges without first chopping 4" or so off the sheet.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:54 PM   #145
sparky00

Rotary cutters are great, but one needs to be careful with them - they are extremely sharp & efficient.

For best results, use them with a cutting mat & a straightedge. i like the ones with the metal tab to grip them - useful for keeping thumbs & other digits intact.
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:02 PM   #146
Bowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Absolutely not! It just changes the way in which the playmat can be used; any scenarios written for Playmat M1 will take into account the size/shape of the battlefield.
I wish to clarify: Just because I can't geomorph these maps, doesn't mean that I'm not excited about them. It just means that there are some projects of mine that will have to go to a more do-it-yourself mode.

There are still so many possibilities for a series of map/mats that it makes my mouth water! (I am, after all, still . . .

Bowser

P.S. I also wish to add my thanks to you, Phil, for taking part in this discussion. I find it amazing that there is a company out there where officers like you, Andrew, and Steve himself follow discussions and threads and give us back facts and opinions. SJG is truly a special company.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:36 PM   #147
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
P.S. I also wish to add my thanks to you, Phil, for taking part in this discussion. I find it amazing that there is a company out there where officers like you, Andrew, and Steve himself follow discussions and threads and give us back facts and opinions. SJG is truly a special company.
Thanks, Bowser. I think all of us here were fans well before we were "on the inside," and we try hard to treat you guys the way we want to be treated. Sometimes, we stumble, but overall I think we do a pretty good job.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:10 AM   #148
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Thanks, Bowser. I think all of us here were fans well before we were "on the inside," and we try hard to treat you guys the way we want to be treated. Sometimes, we stumble, but overall I think we do a pretty good job.
Even SJ was a fan of games before he started the company. Indeed, if not for a classified ad at just the right time in just the right newspaper, none of us would be here today. And while I've stumbled a lot, I would never trade my time "on the inside" for anything.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:39 PM   #149
sparky00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Sometimes, we stumble, but overall I think we do a pretty good job.
Everyone stumbles. Everyone. what separates the successful is the courage and will to get back up and press on.

I believe SJG does an excellent job, and you have my respect. I wish every company has the kind of honesty, respect and openness that I have seen from SJG. Your willingness to honor past commitments is exemplary, and is one of the reasons I'm always happy to do business with you. The attributions I see on every SJG product also speak to the high regard in which you hold your team members, as well as your customers.

The gaming business has changed much since i was an avid player decades ago. The marketplace is now very crowded in almost every genre (except hex & counter wargames, where it arguably began. Weird). But even with so many producers participating, I see very few who have the courage to put their name on the company. That takes guts.

Your hard work, attention to detail and pursuit of quality are noticed and appreciated.

Its a pleasure doing business with you and participating here in these forums.

Have a great Independence Day!

thx, erik
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:14 PM   #150
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
Thank you! As has been mentioned, we're all gamers here and want to be sure to do the best we can for the games and the players.

Thanks. You've made today better.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote