Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:10 AM   #201
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Ogre Playmat M1 Preorders at Warehouse 23

Just got mine. I agree the printing is really nice.

This is basically my first playmat and I have to say the first thing that jumps out at me is I'm going to have to use the mounted chipboard maps to support it.

This is an issue I didn't really think about, but playmats work great on a surface that is large enough to support the whole mat. For those of us where table space is a premium, a soft mat doesn't work very well. When I first pulled it out of the box, I was immediately faced with an inability to lay it out to see it. I had to put it on the floor in order to have a flat surface big enough to check it out.

When I'm playing with my ODE maps, I'm usually hanging over the coffee table by several inches (even with the Orange map) and I end up using the ODE box as a support system for the overhang. I can't do this with a soft mat.

This is not a complaint, just an observation about using mats in general that I didn't anticipate that's going to significantly complicate my being able to actually use it. :-(
Old 08-02-2018, 11:52 AM   #202
TheAmishStig

If you've got a place to stash such a thing when it's not in use, you can also get a thin sheet of plywood to act as a 'table extender'...then you won't have to worry about straining the joints on the hardboard maps [since you'd mentioned a pretty significant overhang]. It's about $6 for a 2x2 sheet of 1/4", or half that if you go with 1/4" MDF.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:20 PM   #203
jfleisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSumner View Post
Any word on when this will be up for sale on WH23, as I want to pick one up? I messed up, forgot to get my preorder in, and when I went to do it, the preoders were shutdown.
If you miss out, let me know. I bought 4 and can certainly let 1 or 2 go...

My Ogre Miniatures Blog: http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com
jfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:20 PM   #204
sparky00

Just opened mine...

Gorgeous!

Thanks to all involved for making this happen.

e
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:49 PM   #205
RoyT

Got mine today in Houston. Had to use dining table to hold it.

https://imgur.com/gallery/JQTvrSw

https://imgur.com/gallery/BZH1tnb

Last edited by RoyT; 08-02-2018 at 04:03 PM.
RoyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:22 PM   #206
totalfailure

Arrived in NY today, so I thought I would offer a few comments on it. I agree that the print job was pretty good; the map was legible and not 'blurry' or 'washed out'. At the same time, I felt it was kind of thin for the price, compared to some other included or optional mats that I've played on for other games.

While satisfactory, it doesn't change my opinion on having these be a regular series of items. They would pile up fast, and take up a lot of room, besides personally not being able to justify that kind of commitment for the amount I get to play. So I would have to say still I would not be interested in being a 'subscriber' to these, and would rather efforts were mostly directed elsewhere on the Ogre product line in general, as opposed to regular playmat releases.
totalfailure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:07 PM   #207
Izzy_B

Eagerly watching the tracking page for when mine arrives!
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:00 PM   #208
woodchuck

New maps and new minis inbound soon Ogre is hotter than a Texas summer.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:02 PM   #209
jfleisher

I will say that the mats are beautifully done, however there is an odor...

I’m sure it will go away over time.

My Ogre Miniatures Blog: http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com
jfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:57 PM   #210
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfleisher View Post
I will say that the mats are beautifully done, however there is an odor...

I’m sure it will go away over time.
It's that "New Tread Unit" smell!

Mat M1 sighted in southeastern PA as well. Two things took me by surprise right away: the quality of the print job, and the thickness of the backing.

I wasn't expecting the printing to be anywhere near as crisp as it is...seriously Phil, great job sourcing a company who knows what they're doing.

I was expecting it to be about twice as thick as it actually is; looking at it next to my mousepad was a bit of an 'uhhhh...' moment, so the first thing I did was cross-reference M1 against a few UltraPro MtG mats for price. Initial reaction was "Ok, UltraPro wants 30% more for their 24x24 mats. I can live with it to pay $25/pop instead of $32/pop."

Then when I got home, trying to compare / contrast print quality, I started laying it next to stuff. Laying next to G1 it's a little darker...easily explained by being a fabric mesh over black rubber compared to solid paper, which was confirmed by a magnifying glass.

It was laying it next to an UltraPro "Magic Grand Prix" tournament participation mat that my jaw dropped. They're the same thickness. Same can be said for both my mass-produced MtG mat, and my mass-produced L5R mat. It seems thin at first blush because we're all used to looking at mousepads, but seeing them side-by-side like that put things in perspective.

I will definitely be buying the next one, and in the meantime be investigating good ways to tile them with one another and keep the overlays still, since poster putty on the fabric would be ill-advised.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote