Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:44 PM   #131
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Ogre Playmat M1 Preorders at Warehouse 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failure16 View Post
Transitional hexes could/should/would look like those present on the original cover art for Ogre Battlefields: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/ogre-battlefields-1

At least, that is what I always imagined a transitional map to look like ever since I saw the product so many years (decades?) ago. I have been wishing for one for that long, too, so it is nice to know others have it in mind themselves.
I never saw that as transitional, but rather just semi-opaque overlay of both map types. Ironically, there are no orange maps in Battlefields. :-)

A better representation of transitional can be found in the Steam game. There are a bunch of different shades of clear that transition from green to brown.
Attached Images
File Type: png clear.png (50.5 KB, 67 views)
Old 07-03-2018, 03:23 AM   #132
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
I would hope that multiples of them (and future mat releases) would fit together just like the cardstock G.E.V. style maps do.
Print tolerances on fabric aren't as tight as on paper. The playmats will _not_ geomorph together. You can Frankenstein a merger by using overlays from the Ogre Sixth Edition box, but ultimately, the playmats are not designed to be used in quantities greater than one.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:37 AM   #133
Bowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Print tolerances on fabric aren't as tight as on paper. The playmats will _not_ geomorph together. You can Frankenstein a merger by using overlays from the Ogre Sixth Edition box, but ultimately, the playmats are not designed to be used in quantities greater than one.
Very sad. Oh well, disregard my message above about a two-mat original orange Ogre map. We'll still have a lot of fun with the other designs.

Bowser
Old 07-03-2018, 05:19 AM   #134
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
Very sad. Oh well, disregard my message above about a two-mat original orange Ogre map. We'll still have a lot of fun with the other designs.

Bowser
It's not that we don't think geomorphing playmats wouldn't be fun. We _wanted_ to that. The manufacturing realities stopped us.

We could create a 14" x 28" playmat without too much difficulty, but that won't exactly replicate the original Ogre map. It would, however, make for a cramped and nasty battlefield.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:01 AM   #135
dwalend

Quote:
Print tolerances on fabric aren't as tight as on paper. The playmats will _not_ geomorph together. ... the playmats are not designed to be used in quantities greater than one.
Thanks for continuing the project anyway. I'd have thought that would be a project-ending flaw.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:03 AM   #136
TheAmishStig

Quote:
You can't tell me what to do, you're not my dad! :P

Being a rampant cynic aside...it sounds like that becomes the neoprene mats' reason for existing: scenario-specific (or scenario-type specific) maps that couldn't be done in the G/S format specifically because the G/S maps do have to geomorph.

I'm thinking Iron Mountain, I'm thinking Icepick, after noticing something I now have to go try my hand at writing another scenario...
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:04 AM   #137
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
Thanks for continuing the project anyway. I'd have thought that would be a project-ending flaw.
Absolutely not! It just changes the way in which the playmat can be used; any scenarios written for Playmat M1 will take into account the size/shape of the battlefield.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:38 AM   #138
Mack_JB

As a bit of a open ended thought experiment: what about making the playmats so they could possibly geomorph, but the end user would have to trim the final size to shape based on the printing outcome of their specific sheet?

That is, the cut lines would allow one to trim it to geomorph with others, for those so inclined.
Mack_JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #139
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
As a bit of a open ended thought experiment: what about making the playmats so they could possibly geomorph, but the end user would have to trim the final size to shape based on the printing outcome of their specific sheet?

That is, the cut lines would allow one to trim it to geomorph with others, for those so inclined.
Neat idea for those of us who have the giant dismember-tastic paper cutters, but I'm guessing that's a PR headache waiting to happen. I can just picture someone doing a lousy job with a dull box cutter, the fabric comes loose, and the customer slags off SJG for 'low-quality manufacturing' rather than blaming their own sloppy hack job.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:52 AM   #140
Mack_JB

I've had good results trimming FFG mats smaller with a long straightedge and an X-Axto blade ... but the proof would be seeing what sort of materials the mat chosen by SJG uses.
Mack_JB is online now   Reply With Quote