Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:50 PM   #121
Buzzardo

Default Re: Ogre Playmat M1 Preorders at Warehouse 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
While I did order one mat, I'm _not_ overly excited about it. I am excited to see a new map, but I bought it more because of "completionist disease" and as general support for the line to help promote growth. I found the different form factor a bit disappointing because it draws a distinct line of separation from everything else.

I'm not looking forward to yet another awkward shaped thing to deal with transporting, and honestly not looking forward to a pile of them in the future. That likely won't stop me from buying the next one, but I would have preferred to see a new G/S map board instead of making another fork in the road.
Zactly. I pre-ordered one, for the same reasons, but I'd be much more fired up for green boards that fit with the other green boards.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:10 PM   #122
sparky00

Quote:
Tubes are annoying to handle, but I do think "Ogre in a tube" sounds amusing.
Aside from being excited about trying out the urban combat on the new map, one of the main things I excited about is having a map that is less susceptible damage during travel. I take my O6E orange map with me when i travel - its replaceable if lost or damaged. I take all sorts of precautions to make sure its safe from scuffing/ bending, corner crushing, getting wet, and all the other horrible things that happen to baggage during air travel. A tube in the bottom of my roller duffel, containing a fabric/rubber mat is likely more survivable than a chipboard mapboard.

I love the chipboard maps. They are my first choice for anything not involving air travel. Unfortunately, I travel alot. It will be good to have the fabric mat for at least some Ogre on the road.

Concur on the amusing "Ogre in a Tube".Personally, I think it should be a nice, printed Ogre tube, with playmat(s), rulebook & scenario booklet inside. Oh, and a pair of custom dice for the map(s)/scenarios.

But thats probably another discussion...
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:47 PM   #123
Bowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
That's actually how I'd like pursue it, if we go that way. Use the extra space for the CRT and the stats of the various units so the game is completely contained on the mat. Miniatures would look good on it and there would be no referring to paper pages or books.
Actually . . .

Why not use the "extra" space that two mats would provide to extend the classic Ogre orange mapboard. It represents a blasted and barren battlefield, but in the "new" section there could be ruins or a stream or something else . . . It wouldn't have to stick to the traditional terrain. As long as you leave the traditional part identical to the original map. (Have a faint line to show the extent of the original mapboard.)

Just saying . . .

Bowser
Old 07-01-2018, 12:28 AM   #124
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
Actually . . .

Why not use the "extra" space that two mats would provide to extend the classic Ogre orange mapboard.
That's actually an interesting idea. A scenario with some heavy-duty power (a Mark VI attacks, for example) could use the extra space...
Old 07-01-2018, 10:02 AM   #125
ColBosch

Quote:
That's actually an interesting idea. A scenario with some heavy-duty power (a Mark VI attacks, for example) could use the extra space...
Transitional green hexes.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:06 PM   #126
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
Actually . . .

Why not use the "extra" space that two mats would provide to extend the classic Ogre orange mapboard. It represents a blasted and barren battlefield, but in the "new" section there could be ruins or a stream or something else . . . It wouldn't have to stick to the traditional terrain. As long as you leave the traditional part identical to the original map. (Have a faint line to show the extent of the original mapboard.)
Bowser
Quote:
There's another interesting possibility with a longer Ogre map: A newbie start zone. New to the game? Put the CP all the way at the back. Know the game? Put the CP forward of that faint line that marks the original map edge.

By extension, there could be a line for grand masters - perhaps for bonus points in tournament play or some such thing.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:21 PM   #127
Knockman

I've put in an order for the playmats, but that's so they serve a purpose - perfect for demo/participation games at events.

My main preference would be to see more Green Boards.

My second preference would be to see a Transitional board, half orange/blasted zone morphing onto the other half green/proper terrain board.

Poster-maps are OK, as a last resort. But I'd prefer Mapboards every day of the week, and on Feb 29th!

E-mail Contact: tiffingames@gmail.com

BGG Link: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamee...ponsored-count

Update: 8th June 2018 - officially formatted S&TO Rules Version 3 now available on this website.
Knockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:11 PM   #128
dwalend

Quote:
Yes - a longer cratered zone to the north would work well.

Is the northern edge of the map a major influence in the game? I've thought of some tactics around squeezing an ogre against the north wall, but I don't think I've ever had the opportunity to try them - not enough defenders to matter.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:00 PM   #129
Bowser

Proposal for making the original orange Ogre map as two playmats like the (currently in production) Ogre Playmat M1, labelled “North Mat” and “South Mat”, where new hexes are added to fill out the 24” x 24” mats.

Long post – please skip if the above title doesn’t interest you. Drew: Consider this my item in the “So . . . What do you want?” thread, thanks.

Ogre Sixth Edition map: North/South: 22 hexes = 33 inches, East/West: 15 hexes (plus two blacked-out half-hexes on each side) = 16 hexes = 21 inches.

Ogre Playmat M1 (according to the illustration shown in the June 26, 2018, Daily Illuminator): N/S: 16 hexes = 24”, E/W: 18 hexes (where the two side half-hexes are just slightly oversized) = 24” (if the oversizing is 3/16” for each half-hex, which should be OK.)

Thus, the South Mat would contain the south 16 hexes of the original Ogre map (count in column two where you start and end with a full hex). This would be 24 inches tall. The South Mat would be 17 full hexes plus two half-hexes wide. This would be 24 inches wide. There would be added one and a half new hexes on each side to fill out the map. More on the added hexes below.

The North Mat would have the same dimensions: 16 hexes (24 inches) tall by 17 plus 2 half-hexes (24 inches) wide. The southern 6 rows of hexes would be the rest of the original orange Ogre map so that joining the North Mat and the South Mat would give players the original Ogre map. But the northern 10 rows of hexes and the one and a half columns of hexes on each side would be new additional hexes not present on the original map.

Several items would need to be addressed:

1. Keep the hex numbering on the original section the same as on the original Ogre map. This means that any scenario references that use the original Ogre map’s numbering would work here. Thus, starting in the original map’s upper-left hex (0101), the one to the North of it would be 0199 – still in column 01 but numbering the rows backward from the highest number. The hex to the upper left of original hex 0101 would be numbered 9901 – still in row 01 but the “new” column would be counting down from the highest number. Or something like this. This method would be a bit clumsy, but it gives each hex a unique number and it preserves the original Ogre map’s area’s original numbers.

2. The hex edges around the original Ogre’s map section would have to be a different color or somehow delineate what is “Original Ogre” and what is not. Playing a strictly “original Ogre” scenario means that these lines cannot be crossed.

3. I would like to see the new left and right side hexes on the South Map for the southern six or seven rows to be clear hexes to more or less match the terrain on the original map. The next 15 or 16 rows north (moving onto the North Map and edging the rest of the original map) can be clear or not because players can alter them somewhat with overlays.

4. “ColBosch” suggests that the rest of the North Map (all rows of additional hexes) start to include transitional green hexes culminating (I assume) in the last row of hexes be typical G.E.V. style “fertile” terrain. I agree. I suggested earlier that this area could even contain a stream or any of the other G.E.V. style terrain. I don't know what "transitional green hexes" would look like, but I'd like to find out!

5. “Buzzardo” suggests that the entirety of the North Mat and the South Mat together be a “newbie zone” and that some kind of “grand master” line be put across the map further to the south from the original Ogre map’s north edge. I see what he means here, but I’ll expand on this idea.

Put a line across the section of the original Ogre map’s area south of the original northern edge by about 3 to 5 hexes. (Something tells me that 5 hexes is just too much, but it balances out the other numbers. PLAYTEST THIS!) Call this line the “Ogre Line” because Ogres will like its effects. Put a line 5 hexes north of the original Ogre map’s northern edge across the original Ogre map’s area and call this line the “Command Post Line” because the defense’s Command Post will like its effects.

Now play any scenario that is made for the original Ogre mapboard. For regular play, use only the area inside what is designated as the original Ogre map. If you consider yourself an expert ON DEFENSE (not me, that’s for sure!!), confine yourself to the original Ogre map area south of the Ogre Line only. If you consider yourself an expert ON OFFENSE, use the original Ogre map but extend it up to the Command Post Line.

Switch this around for beginners. If you are a beginner ON DEFENSE, use the map up to the Command Post Line. If you are a beginner ON OFFENSE, use the map up to the Ogre Line only.

If a real newbie is playing defense, let him have the entire map of the South Mat and the North Mat be his playground.

This was long but was necessary to explain fully what I’d like to see. Should these be sold in sets (North & South) or separately? Doesn’t matter to me, I’ll buy three sets’ worth so I can line them up East to West for a really large scenario and maybe add a few of the M1 Playmats to the north edge. Who knows?

Bowser

Note to Drew or Phil on the Ogre Playmat M1: I’ve only seen the one illustration of the Ogre Playmat M1, but I hope that the print of the map is moved slightly so that the edges of the “top” and “bottom” (i.e. the “North” and “South” edges) are cut right on the line of the hexside. That is, don’t leave that sliver of a hex at the bottom and be missing a sliver of a hex at the top. I would hope that multiples of them (and future mat releases) would fit together just like the cardstock G.E.V. style maps do.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:14 PM   #130
Failure16

Transitional hexes could/should/would look like those present on the original cover art for Ogre Battlefields: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/ogre-battlefields-1

At least, that is what I always imagined a transitional map to look like ever since I saw the product so many years (decades?) ago. I have been wishing for one for that long, too, so it is nice to know others have it in mind themselves.
Failure16 is offline   Reply With Quote