Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-08-2009, 06:37 AM   #131
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: They should really fix that in Cabaret Chicks on Ice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik1979 View Post
Shouldnt that be in DF?
It could be, but not all unrealistic low tech gaming is DF. I think someone already said that the anvil-on-a-short-stick 'dwarven warhammer' will be included.

Over here.

Last edited by Ulzgoroth; 06-08-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:50 AM   #132
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
An educated guess from interviews, anecdotes and what i've read.
I'm reasonably sure that if there's anything Peter doesn't want, it's an educated guess.

Quote:
In terms of cost, this actually just costs nothing to the land holder since he can take it out of the allocated labor tribute he receives from his villagers.
Actually, that is a cost. It may not be a monetary cost, but GURPS tends not to distinguish between income in cash, in kind, and in labor. The landlord's income includes the total value of what he gets from his peasants/tenants/serfs/whatever no matter how they give it to him. So even if he's not shelling out cash to put up a new barn or what-have-you, he's expending an equivalent value in labor on construction instead of whatever else he might spend it on.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #133
NorphTehDwarf

He certainly could try to pass the cost onto the peasants; maybe through some kind of influence roll--Intimidation would work best but Public Speaking, Leadership, Diplomacy, Fast-Talk and even Theology could have their uses. Failure indicates either the medieval equivalent of a strike; critical failure would mean an uprising.
NorphTehDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:12 PM   #134
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
... because spellcasters might want it in settings where ferrous armour interferes with spellcasting[1]...
[1] Is there a Limitation to Magery to reflect this, in GURPS Thaumatology? Wouldn't surprise me greatly if there is.
Not specifically, AIR. There is a mention of iron being a possible mundane countermeasure for faerie powers on p202. You could extend this to any or all magic for a particular setting. It might make an insulator also, but you can only get one limitation or the other from a given thing (as per Powers, p24).
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:27 PM   #135
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
GURPS tends not to distinguish between income in cash, in kind, and in labor. The landlord's income includes the total value of what he gets from his peasants/tenants/serfs/whatever no matter how they give it to him. So even if he's not shelling out cash to put up a new barn or what-have-you, he's expending an equivalent value in labor on construction instead of whatever else he might spend it on.
Exactly. In non-commercialized settings, most 'income' sources should provide for Cost of Living directly. A peasant's 'job' is to produce food and perform labor to feed his family and fulfill his obligations, while the landlord's 'pay' includes the labor needed to keep his holdings up to the standards of his status.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #136
Gizensha

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
Will Low-Tech include some "Fantasy-Tech"?
(I mean tools, weapons, armor etc. that occur in low-tech fantasy settings but which are fictional and not realistic...)
I hope not. Afterall, High Tech doesn't contain steampunk or clockpunk alternative technologies, so why should Low Tech be dilluted with non-realistic technology? [Note a difference between realistic and historically accurate. And on which note, I wonder if it's been decided if the armor design system that was mentioned elsewhere on this forum is going to be in Low Tech itself or a pdf volume])
Gizensha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #137
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizensha View Post
I hope not. Afterall, High Tech doesn't contain steampunk or clockpunk alternative technologies, so why should Low Tech be dilluted with non-realistic technology? [Note a difference between realistic and historically accurate. And on which note, I wonder if it's been decided if the armor design system that was mentioned elsewhere on this forum is going to be in Low Tech itself or a pdf volume])
(1) Low-Tech will not include any purely fantastic technologies; that proposal was abandoned a while back. It will include some discussion of cinematic technologies, which could include absurdly large swords.

(2) Design systems will go into the Companions. The print volume will be mostly a catalog with some discussion of game mechanics.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #138
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizensha View Post
Ultra-Tech had TL9^-TL12^ stuff. Where do we look for TL1^-4^ (and TL5^-TL8^) stuff then?
Old 06-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #139
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
Ultra-Tech had TL9^-TL12^ stuff. Where do we look for TL1^-4^ (and TL5^-TL8^) stuff then?
Note that uninvented technologies are, to some extent, fantasy, whereas there's plenty of reality to cover in LT and HT. Perhaps someone will propose a GURPS Fantasy-Tech, outlining outdated or simply inaccurate theories about never-was technologies (frex, using sound to build the Pyramids), alternative technology paths, and the like.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #140
Gudiomen

I think what some posters mean by "fantasy tech" is basically "anachronistic tech" or "alt-historical tech". The phosphorous treatment bronze is a good example. It's fantasy, because it didn't happen, but it's not cinematic, silly or entirely fiction.

I'm not saying I'd like these in Low-Tech, but it'd be nice to see them somewhere. DF isn't the place for it, because DF borders on silly and uses totally made-up things like magic, fantasy metals, etc. But it'd make an interesting Fantasy companion book (is that what we call it?).

No "anvil-onna-stick" here, but I'd like to see subtle variations of technology that would fit a realistic fantasy setting without exploding suspension of disbelief.
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabaret chicks on ice, low-tech, ships