Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 09-06-2013, 12:33 AM   #231
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [OOC] The Starship 'Fritjof Nansen'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
I am starting to think about the 34 NPCs in INS Fritjof: at least setting up an armature for future detailed work. If there's anything you want included now would be a good time to start thinking about it.
I like your terrible section leader as a foil for Bucky (classic persuader versus classic authoritarian; just like boot camp), I think he might be an interesting choice for the second team leader.

Quote:
Does any PC have an NPC fiancé (or fiancée) in the ship?
We already know that Caroline Lowell is teaching at Regulus, and I think that Tomiko is in that relationship for the long haul. Ada is both biologically and psychologically incapable of romantic love. Strickland, I see as a confirmed polygamist and as likely to form romantic relationships as she is to infiltrate any other social group; so she's probably already involved with some of the non-Marine personnel by the time the first adventure starts. Bucky was married in his youth, whether she died in the war or divorced him I'm not entirely sure yet. He's not going to get involved with anybody on the ship because he believes that kind of thing leads to drama, and drama is not relaxing.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:12 AM   #232
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
• TEAM: MARINES
Does my marine proposal fit here?
Sorry, it has taken me an age to realise what you were asking here.

Answer: it would be an acceptable basis, though you'd have to make a few changes to get a marine private (trained) of twelve years' service or less rather than a corporal. Also, I would have a question about the thing about the son. While she has been a marine she has been living in barracks and getting sent on deployments while the boy was in an Imperial boarding school. It's hard to be a smothering mother in those circumstances. Also, though almost everyone else gets individual postings Marines are usually rotated with their units. The exceptions are usually effected by commanding officers to balance experience and deal with personality problems, or else occur with experienced veterans moving on to non-commando trades. Finally, I think the character is a bit too dramatic for what is essentially a procedural position. I'd prefer a character for this part who was more of a static icon and less involved in a dramatic arc of development. In short, I'd prefer that you start over devising a character who complements and contrasts Bucky and Bear.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #233
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Sorry, it has taken me an age to realise what you were asking here.
Yeah:
"Where's my muppets at?" -Cpl. MacAdams

Quote:
In short, I'd prefer that you start over devising a character who complements and contrasts Bucky and Bear.
Possibly not with a nickname that starts with "B". :)
Old 09-06-2013, 01:27 AM   #234
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I like your terrible section leader as a foil for Bucky (classic persuader versus classic authoritarian; just like boot camp), I think he might be an interesting choice for the second team leader.
I can do somebody more energetic and authoritarian than MacAdams, but s/he won't be anything like as bad as that monster.

Quote:
We already know that Caroline Lowell is teaching at Regulus, and I think that Tomiko is in that relationship for the long haul. Ada is both biologically and psychologically incapable of romantic love. Strickland, I see as a confirmed polygamist and as likely to form romantic relationships as she is to infiltrate any other social group; so she's probably already involved with some of the non-Marine personnel by the time the first adventure starts. Bucky was married in his youth, whether she died in the war or divorced him I'm not entirely sure yet. He's not going to get involved with anybody on the ship because he believes that kind of thing leads to drama, and drama is not relaxing.
Okey-doke, then. Strickland is a sportswoman, Eichberger is effectively chaste, Ada is aromantic but not asexual, and MacAdams keeps it strictly outside the ship. Some of the NPCs ought to be sportsmen, but I'm not thinking of bunkies for any of your characters.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:30 AM   #235
Agemegos

Quote:
Possibly not with a nickname that starts with "B". :)
By the way: what's the significance of the nicknames "Buck" and "Bucky"? I see them in American material, but they aren't used here.

Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 09-06-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:39 AM   #236
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
By the way: what's the significance of the nicknames "Buck" and "Bucky".
At this point, I'm not sure why it's there. It's now just one of those weird little details of life I guess. "Bucky" is nickname derived from either "Buckley" or "Starbuck". I suppose that Macadams middle name might be "Starbuck" but rather I think it was bestowed upon him ironically at some point. It's often used sarcastically like "Sport" for somebody with a surfeit of ebullient motivation. So calling MacAdams "Bucky" is like calling the 2.4 meter Marine "Tiny". It's also Capt. America's boy sidekick (that eventually turned out to be the Winter Soldier).
Quote:
I see them in American material, but they aren't used here.
If that makes it inappropriate for a Hellion, we can give him another nickname.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:54 AM   #237
Agemegos

Quote:
At this point, I'm not sure why it's there. It's now just one of those weird little details of life I guess. "Bucky" is nickname derived from either "Buckley" or "Starbuck". I suppose that Macadams middle name might be "Starbuck" but rather I think it was bestowed upon him ironically at some point. It's often used sarcastically like "Sport" for somebody with a surfeit of ebullient motivation. So calling MacAdams "Bucky" is like calling the 2.4 meter Marine "Tiny". It's also Capt. America's boy sidekick (that eventually turned out to be the Winter Soldier).
I see. It makes about as much sense as calling all red-haired men "Bluey", but who has to make sense?

Quote:
If that makes it inappropriate for a Hellion, we can give him another nickname.
Not at all. Hell is on Tau Ceti, which got immigrants from everywhere during several decades in which it was the only sensible place to go. And that's not even counting the next century or so of American influence on world culture. I was only curious.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:55 AM   #238
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I see. It makes about as much sense as calling all red-haired men "Bluey", but who has to make sense?
Same reason I was "Pretty Boy". :(
Old 09-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #239
martinl

Quote:
I'd prefer that you start over devising a character who complements and contrasts Bucky and Bear.
How about a straightforward adrenaline junky private with a fascination with foamy (that is to say, foam grenade) sports. (Foamy sports: foamy tag, foamy assisted parkour, foamy-rugby, 7-team zero-g foamy maze war, etc.) Gives something to talk about and a fun yet traditional hook in combat scenes.

"This one time, we in the middle of the scrum in "Riot" and some idiot newb tried a double reverse expanding encirclement on the R-team without throwing the front reverse backup in the middle! Can you imagine? Needless to say we massacred the I-team that day, 200-2. Now who are these guys who are shooting at us again?"

Last edited by martinl; 09-06-2013 at 02:26 PM.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #240
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
(Foamy sports: foamy tag, foamy assisted parkour, foamy-rugby, 7-team zero-g foamy maze war, etc.
Your explanation doesn't explicate. What's a "foamy sport" other than a sport with with "foamy" adjective?

Tags
flat black, planetary romance, sci-fi, space opera, ultra-tech