Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > The Gnomes of Zurich > Gamer Finder

Old 03-16-2019, 08:05 PM   #1
Agemegos

Default Flat Black by Facetime, 10:30–13:30 UTC Fridays

Edited to add: This campaign is now fully subscribed. Thank you for your attention.

After a long hiatus from role-playing, I'm planning to kick off a new campaign soon, which I will run by way of Facetime video chat from 8:30 PM to about 11:30 PM or midnight on Fridays, Australian Eastern Time¹. Session Zero (for character generation etc.) will be on the 29th of March 2019, the adventures will begin on Friday the 5th of April, 2019.

Setting
The campaign will be set in my perennial SF setting FLAT BLACK.
Genre
Serial rationalised planetary romance.

Planetary romance is a subgenre of science fiction in which the bulk of the action consists of adventures on one or more exotic alien planets, characterised by distinctive physical and cultural backgrounds. Rationalised planetary romances lack the science-fantasy elements that are common in other planetary romances, and take place against the background of a future culture where travel between worlds by spaceship is commonplace. But travel and naval action in space are not the the focus of planetary romance. It is adventures on the exotic alien planets that are the focus of the story.​

The campaign will be a series of largely unconnected adventures. In each adventure the PC or PCs will come as an outsider or outsiders to one of the 1,000 inhabited worlds in Flat Black, with a job to do, a task to accomplish. This will bring him or them into contact with the bizarre society and culture of the inhabitants of the world, which will at first be an obstacle to the PC's or PCs' mission, but which may be circumvented or even turned to advantage. Adventures will all contain significant elements of (a) finding out and figuring out what is going on and of (b) doing something about it. But the PC or PCs will not have the duty or right of changing or fixing the bizarre societies, nor resources to do so.
Premise
The player character or player characters will be "effectives"² working for some sort of interstellar non-government organisation, perhaps as troubleshooters, perhaps as secret operators, perhaps sometimes as one and sometimes as the other. They will not have official authority nor official duties. They will be involved in unofficial investigations of thefts and missing-persons, hostage rescue, object recovery, a bit of espionage sometimes, leak investigations, and sometimes subversion of government and non-government, but seldom if ever tasked explicitly with assassination.

It is as yet undecided whether the PC or PCs will be working for an NGO that has or that lacks a grand political agenda. The one player recruited so far would like a look at the political skulduggery that is going on as the new worlds in eh Fringe become self-governing and appoint their Imperial senators. I'd slightly prefer that the PCs be effectives of a politically neutral NGO such as the Reporters' Guild, Human Heritage etc. That's subject to discussion.
Tone & Content
I'm aiming for varied mixture of scenes and exploits including combat, action, suspense, adventure, drama, and some spectacle. The focus will not be on combat or tactics, but violence will [almost] always be an option both for PCs and their antagonists. I won't emphasis the brutal, but the violence may sometimes be graphic. There will likely be some bawdy content. Sexual incident will likely occur from time to time; it will be mentioned explicitly but fleetingly, not described graphically. There will be anthropological content, including character nudity and bizarre social conduct. Warning: colourful Australian figures of speech.

Consider the campaign to be rated M 15+ : for mature audiences.
Game system
I will probably run this game using ForeSight, a 1980s-style SF RPG based on Victory Games James Bond 007, SPI's Universe, and SPI's Commando, though that is subject to discussion.
Participants
So far I have one fellow signed up to play, and I expect that this will end up a one-on-one campaign. But if you're interested despite the time-zone, let me know.

[strikeout]If you are interesting in playing send me an e-mail or a private message on these forums.[/strikeout]
_____
¹ AET is AEDT (UTC+11:00) until 2019-04-07 (i.e. for the next three Fridays) then daylight saving ends and it will be AEST (UTC+10:00) until October. Daylight Saving is not really terribly convenient for co-ordinating people who live in different jurisdictions.

² "Effective" covers a range of duties in the field variously covering the ideas of "troubleshooter", "field agent", "private detective", and "clandestine operator". Effectives may work permanently for NGOS or private firms, or be free-lances; the term excludes government officials. Effectives are contrasted with spies in that their duties emphasise effecting changes to a situation rather than gathering information. Effectives have to be usually less violent and more subtle than special operators because they lack a military mandate.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 03-24-2019 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Added definition of "rationalised planetary romance".
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:21 PM   #2
Agemegos

Default Re: Flat Black by Facetime, 10:30–13:30 UTC Fridays

Okay. I have three players signed up now, which feels like about the right number. Two are habitués of these forums.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flat black, videochat