Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-24-2020, 08:53 PM   #91
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: High/ultra tech sights/accessories on muzzle-loaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
There may be — in my campaign setting there are — interstellar interests such including both commercial interests and non-profit institutions that feel strongly about what happens on a planet despite not enjoying the support of its local elites. The Sons of Patrick Henry, Amnesty Interstellar, Democracy Unlimited, and the Œuvre of the King of Prussia obviously can't rely on the local warlords and technarchs to arm their agitators, assassins, and agents provocateurs. Less obviously, neither can the Journalists' Guild, Human Heritage, or the Zinfandel Museum of Modern Art.
Even if the local elites are only the targets of the operatives and not the employer, having them be a scattering of poorly-resourced hermits doesn't really give the agitators, assassins, and agents leverage to make any noticeable difference.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:21 PM   #92
Agemegos

Quote:
Please don't reject the premise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Even if the local elites are only the targets of the operatives and not the employer, having them be a scattering of poorly-resourced hermits doesn't really give the agitators, assassins, and agents leverage to make any noticeable difference.
You're hyperbolising.

I'm trying to devise an image for a RPG book cover that will wordlessly evoke the covers of thriller novels while simultaneously suggesting a sci-fi setting where backwater planets have workshop hybrids of ultra-tech imports and backyard welding. The image doesn't need to withstand the closest scrutiny.

A laser sight on a caplock pistol is a striking image that conveys the idea. If I replace the caplock with a revolver or a self-loader most readers won't get it, since a revolver is not obviously archaic or obsolete. If I replace the caplock with a TL9 RPG-firing cone pistol that is obsolete in the TL10 setting no reader will get it.

On the other hand this is a public forum and you are free to discuss any aspect you wish of anything that comes up the thread.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 01-25-2020 at 04:12 PM. Reason: flow of thought
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:10 PM   #93
WaterAndWindSpirit

I'm gonna be honest and say that putting an awesome scope that was looted more or less intact from a military depot on a crossbow or black powder gun would fit pretty well in an After the End setting... With no need for crazy import shenanigans.

After the End is already a mix and match of reasonably widespread TL 4 tech augmented by whatever prewar (A lot of AtE stories happen after a nuclear war, and the Fallout series made "prewar" a neat little term...) relic one can scrounge up... A tactical flintlock would be right at home there...

Just saying I am stealing any ideas that may come up here about a good scope to put on a flintlock or similar crazy ideas for the AtE game I have planned...

Last edited by WaterAndWindSpirit; 01-25-2020 at 12:18 PM.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:25 PM   #94
Fred Brackin

Quote:
I'm trying to devise an image for a RPG book cover that will wordlessly evoke the covers of thriller novels while simultaneously suggesting a sci-fi setting where backwater planets have workshop hybrids of ultra-tech imports and backyard welding. A laser sight on a caplock pistol is a striking image that conveys the idea. I
You can get this sort of anachronism due to laws but they might be more common laws than you think. My Father had a TL5 caplock rifle with a TL8 telescopic sight. The local state game laws were the reasons and there were many similar hunting weapons.

So that paticular anachronistic image might not be recognized as such.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:07 PM   #95
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
You can get this sort of anachronism due to laws but they might be more common laws than you think. My Father had a TL5 caplock rifle with a TL8 telescopic sight. The local state game laws were the reasons and there were many similar hunting weapons.

So that paticular anachronistic image might not be recognized as such.
That's interesting. Disappointing, but interesting. Perhaps a FLYLUX air-pickup with a pintle-mounted swivel gun….

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:16 PM   #96
Sam Cade

Quote:
That's interesting.
It is common for there to be part of hunting season reserved especially for "primitive" weapons.

So we americans sometimes have oddities like "blackpowder" rifles that are electrically fired and mounted with multi-thousand dollar rangefinding scopes.

http://www.jpfo.org/
كافر
Sam Cade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:09 PM   #97
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Cade View Post
It is common for there to be part of hunting season reserved especially for "primitive" weapons.

So we americans sometimes have oddities like "blackpowder" rifles that are electrically fired and mounted with multi-thousand dollar rangefinding scopes.
Humans do weird things when constrained and incentivised.

Nod head. Get treat.

Tags
flat black