Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-23-2016, 10:25 PM   #21
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: I need a touch of help with clarity of magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Like Compartmentalized Mind (No mental separation, -20%; Limited: Spells only, -5%; Magical , -10%) [32.5/level] and probably Compartmentalized Mind (No mental separation, -20%; Limited: Spells only, -5%; Magical , -10%; Granted by Familiar -40%) [12.5/level] Remember you round the cost up after you have multiplied but the number of levels you buy. but one level would be [33] or [13] points

Which Would give you an extra Mental Manueaver like Concentration that you can only use with spells, only when not neutralise and in an area of mana, makes you count as a magical creature vs pentagrams it also doesn't give you the advantage's bonus vs mind control [and only when you familiar is present if the second option is taken]
Those are possiblities, yes.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:20 AM   #22
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Well, I concede that I was unsure of how Breathe Fire and Jet spells worked. So Jet requires you to spend 1-4 Fat in the first turn, doing nothing? That really sucks. Though Jet spells may change significantly in the DFRPG.
_All_ spells require a minimum of 1 Concentrate action to cast. Spells that require a physical attack roll require a separate Attack Maneuver for that. This is seems unlikely to change. It's very basic Gurps.

This can be gotten down to 1 second by relatively expensive Exotic Advantages but then it takes WM:Bow and Heroic Archer (both 20 pts) to fire 1arrow every round.

Without them archers are spending 1 Turn to draw the arrow (unless they have Fast Draw), 1 turn to ready their bow and then a 3rd Turn to actually fire. Fighters will frequently have to spend a whole Turn doing "nothing" but moving (and yes there are workarounds for this too).

This is just the way Gurps works. Mages aren't being nerfed especially.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:56 PM   #23
dripton

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Well, I concede that I was unsure of how Breathe Fire and Jet spells worked. So Jet requires you to spend 1-4 Fat in the first turn, doing nothing? That really sucks. Though Jet spells may change significantly in the DFRPG.
Remember, Jet spells can be maintained. And if you have them at a high level, the maintenance cost goes down.

For example, a wizard with Flame Jet-15 can cast a 1d Flame Jet at the beginning of the day and just maintain it all day, for free. (Except for the -1 to other spells for having a spell on.) If it's already up when a fight starts, he doesn't need to spend a turn Concentrating; he can just get in there and whack people with it.

Of course, 1d is nothing to brag about. It would be more typical for that wizard to cast a 3d flame jet at the beginning of combat. So one turn wasted while casting. But now, for the cost of 2 FP per turn (one less because of the skill 15), he can whack people for 3d fire damage, with reach 3. That reach is huge, both because it saves time moving next to your targets, and because it lets you hide behind the big guys with armor.
dripton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:58 PM   #24
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by dripton View Post
Remember, Jet spells can be maintained. And if you have them at a high level, the maintenance cost goes down.

For example, a wizard with Flame Jet-15 can cast a 1d Flame Jet at the beginning of the day and just maintain it all day, for free. (Except for the -1 to other spells for having a spell on.) If it's already up when a fight starts, he doesn't need to spend a turn Concentrating; he can just get in there and whack people with it.

Of course, 1d is nothing to brag about. It would be more typical for that wizard to cast a 3d flame jet at the beginning of combat. So one turn wasted while casting. But now, for the cost of 2 FP per turn (one less because of the skill 15), he can whack people for 3d fire damage, with reach 3. That reach is huge, both because it saves time moving next to your targets, and because it lets you hide behind the big guys with armor.
Actually Jet-15 will let you case 2d Spell for 1 FP the first turn and 0FP to maintain. (2FP - 1 FP for high skill to cast and (2/2) FP -1FP to maintain.

Last edited by roguebfl; 09-24-2016 at 07:36 PM. Reason: spelling
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:33 PM   #25
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Actually Jet-15 will let you case 2d Spell for 1 FP the first turn and 0FP to maintain. (2FP - 1 FP for high skill to cast and (2/2) FP -1FP to maintain.
Nope, Jets are same cost to maintain.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, spells