Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-14-2012, 02:12 AM   #1
Kalzazz

Default [Martial Arts, Fantasy] Greatsword Style

I am trying to figure out a Martial Arts Style for a Greatsword user in a Fantasy game, because an actual style is a cool thing to have (instead of just 'you put points in these skills')

The style encourages use of a greatsword to allow great defense through its long reach and the beneficial rules for two handed weapon parries, and to use Acrobatics and Running to try and get to proper areas to put a greatsword in play (also acrobatics for improving defenses as well . . . . also potential students think acrobatic swordplay looks Really Cool, so thus variants of the style which include it are likely to get more students)

The idea being that the long defensive weapon plus great manuerability allows one to fight groups of pesky goons or goblins or whatnot, and a mighty greatsword allows one sufficient wallop to hurt even thick scaled lizardman wearing a shirt with Fort +1 and such

The intended areas of use are on city streets and roads and such where wearing full battle armor and shields and such is antisocial, but wearing a sword (even a big one) is acceptable (large swords are becoming quite socially acceptable, because a normal humans greatsword is no bigger than a big ogres broadsword, and it would be inconsiderate not to allow the ogre his broadsword, and if the ogre can have a sword that big why cant a human)

But despite being intended for use in city streets and such, people also will want to take it into dungeons where its use may be more questionable and such

Anyway, would like to try and get proper cool flavor text, writeup, and ideas for actual 'how to fight like this in a game' and a name

Sorry if this makes no sense or things, is my first time trying to write up a style
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:18 AM   #2
Eintra

Default Re: [Martial Arts, Fantasy] Greatsword Style

You could have a look at the Longsword Fighting style from MA 181. Which is a historical style of 2 handed sword fighting.
Eintra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:38 AM   #3
Aneirin

If it is a civilian fighting style (like rapier or small swords style) you could mix and match it with that.

Fencing styles look at defense, parrying and manouverability.

You could include form/skill adaptation (forget the name of the top of my head), greatsword to rapier if the GM allows it to get the retreat bonus and the penalty with emcumberance to skill (though the skills to use them may be too different, may need a perk or unusual background to allow it)
Aneirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
Humabout

Personally, I usually use Longsword Fighting as is for a two-handed sword style in my setting. The option to adapt Greatsword to Rapier skill is a good one. I'd also suggest mining Kromm's Parkour style for some acrobatic ideas, since you seem to be ainig for a freerunning element.

As for flavor text and a translation into rules go, I'd strongly suggest reading Shortsword Fighting, Longsword Fighting, Sword-and-Buckler Play, and a few other similar style writeups from Martial Arts. The formermost will probalby serve you best, but in any case, look for aspects you want to include and see how they are handled mechanically. Then write up the fluff with mechanics interspersed accordingly! :)

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, martial arts, style