Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-23-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
C.Olimar788

Default Cheat card with empty hands

A situation that I'm not sure would be legal came up in a game of Munchkin Fu. I had both of my hands full and used a Cheat card to hold the Ebony Nunchuks Delivering Typhoon of Blows (uses two hands or one, depending on which you choose, for different bonuses). A few turns later, I got the Iron Hand Kung Fu style, which lets you get a +3 bonus for every empty hand. I opted to carry the two items I was previously holding, leaving my hands free, but still holding the Nunchuks with the Cheat card, thus getting for the +6 bonus for empty hands and the +5 for the Nunchuks. Was this legal?
C.Olimar788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
Jarlaxle

Default Re: Cheat card with empty hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Olimar788 View Post
A situation that I'm not sure would be legal came up in a game of Munchkin Fu. I had both of my hands full and used a Cheat card to hold the Ebony Nunchuks Delivering Typhoon of Blows (uses two hands or one, depending on which you choose, for different bonuses). A few turns later, I got the Iron Hand Kung Fu style, which lets you get a +3 bonus for every empty hand. I opted to carry the two items I was previously holding, leaving my hands free, but still holding the Nunchuks with the Cheat card, thus getting for the +6 bonus for empty hands and the +5 for the Nunchuks. Was this legal?
Since you're cheating with the Nunchuks, you get the full bonus while using none of the slots. So as long as you aren't using any weapons other than those being cheated with, and if you don't have any effects adding or subtracting hands, then you do get the + 6 bonus as well.
EDIT: Also it might be a good idea to the sticky marked READ ME FIRST!. I don't know how exactly to put an exact link into another post, but #8 in that sticky covers the cheat! card.

Last edited by Jarlaxle; 01-23-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
C.Olimar788

I looked at the topic, I assure you. :P The reason I posted is specifically because the topic says the Cheat card "lets you use another Hand Item when your hands are full". Note the full part, and the issue becomes clear, as my question involves my hands being empty at the time of the Nunchuks' use.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

You don't suddenly uncheat an Item just because the reason you had to cheat it went away. The Cheat! card is not detachable unless you lose the Item, so you're still cheating to use that particular Item.

The game is not pedantic enough to try to track all this stuff. If it were, we'd have a 30-page rule book with tiny print. . .
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:09 AM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
Since you're cheating with the Nunchuks, you get the full bonus while using none of the slots.
In this case, this is true. As a general rule, however, Cheat! does not automatically let you use the maximum bonus on the cheated card, nor does it "remove" the type of the card -- so if your only Armor is Cheated, and you're hit with a Lose Your Armor curse, buh-bye cheated Armor.

(I mention this because Cheat! in Munchkin Quest works slightly differently, and there has been confusion in the past by people assuming the cards work the same in both games.)

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:21 AM   #6
C.Olimar788

So if I had gotten the style first and THEN opted to Cheat the Nunchuks in when I was holding nothing, it wouldn't work since I wasn't holding anything, right?
Old 01-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #7
Jarlaxle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
In this case, this is true. As a general rule, however, Cheat! does not automatically let you use the maximum bonus on the cheated card, nor does it "remove" the type of the card -- so if your only Armor is Cheated, and you're hit with a Lose Your Armor curse, buh-bye cheated Armor.

(I mention this because Cheat! in Munchkin Quest works slightly differently, and there has been confusion in the past by people assuming the cards work the same in both games.)
Yeah I worded that wrong when I said "none of the slots". Can you give an example where it doesn't give the biggest bonus just so that I know when that situation arises?
Old 01-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
Jarlaxle

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Olimar788 View Post
So if I had gotten the style first and THEN opted to Cheat the Nunchuks in when I was holding nothing, it wouldn't work since I wasn't holding anything, right?
Since the style was giving a bonus per empty hand your hands were in essence "full". They are being used even if it is by a style or power.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
Rudkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
Yeah I worded that wrong when I said "none of the slots". Can you give an example where it doesn't give the biggest bonus just so that I know when that situation arises?
The Horny Helmet is an easy example of this:

If you Cheat! with it, you don't suddenly get the +3 bonus that it grants to Elves (unless you are actually an Elf), but you do get the regular bonus and get to wear another piece of headgear (if you want).
Rudkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
Jarlaxle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudkin View Post
The Horny Helmet is an easy example of this:

If you Cheat! with it, you don't suddenly get the +3 bonus that it grants to Elves (unless you are actually an Elf), but you do get the regular bonus and get to wear another piece of headgear (if you want).
Thanks for the clarification.

Tags
cheat, iron hand kung fu, munchkin fu, nunchuks, style