Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-18-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
Dangerious P. Cats

Default Abused disadvantages

What disadvantages do you find get abused often? What combination of disadvantages and possibly advantages cause abuse?

I find Berserk is abuse worthy for combat characters, as is taking on the edge and daredevil so that the player is immune to fear and can pull off doing stupid stuff.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Abused disadvantages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerious P. Cats
What disadvantages do you find get abused often? What combination of disadvantages and possibly advantages cause abuse?
Low Wealth plus Debt. The $ value of the Debt is proportional to starting Wealth but the points returned are fixed. You can get 20 pts for a very low monthly burden for any sort of functional adventurer.

Fred Brackin
Fred Brackin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
PK

Outside of supers, I have never seen a character with On the Edge last very long, Daredevil or no Daredevil.

I find Weirdness Magnet is regularly abused, primarily because most GMs don't treat it as a disadvantage. I'd say more, but I've already gone on about it elsewhere -- suffice it to say that it's a pet peeve of mine.

I've seen tons of other, various abuses throughout my years, but they're usually specific to the gaming group and GM. For example, one GM didn't bother with self-control rolls, as long as you acknowledged the disadvantage while roleplaying. So you could take Lecherousness (6) [-30] and fulfill it by occasionally hitting on people. Some GMs don't bother tracking fatigue, turning Insomnia and Light Sleeper into free points. And so on.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerious P. Cats
I find Berserk is abuse worthy for combat characters
I disagree. If the Berserk character can win by sucking up damage without defending they could probably win under any circumstances. If they can't they're screwed. I think it's well worth 10*.
Gold & Appel Inc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
LemmingLord

As a GM I think I let players get away with quite abit on the impulsive side that they shouldn't.
LemmingLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

It sounds more like Cats is upset at players taking disadvantages that they were going to roleplay anyway making it seem like free points.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:56 PM   #7
Dangerious P. Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran
It sounds more like Cats is upset at players taking disadvantages that they were going to roleplay anyway making it seem like free points.
No, in cases I've encountered this abuse the players used it to circumvent rules that they couldn't have done it they were roleplaying the disadvantage without having the full rules based effects (such as by taking it at quirk level). Mainly they use it to get around fear, although one player I had used Berserk to soak up damage.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #8
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Light sleeper and combat reflexes is one I abuse often.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:31 AM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Paranoia. I once ranted in a thread about it.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:16 AM   #10
pnewman

Callous. Three out of four PC's in my current group have it. They apparently reason that gives a -3 to Teaching, and Psychology (used to help only) and they'll never try either of those skills. It also gives a -1 reaction from past victims and those with Empathy - they figure that most of their past victims are dead, the ones who aren't would react negatively anyway, and Empathy is rare. It gives them a +1 to Interrrogation and Intimidation when they use threats or torture, something they'd always want to do anyway. The idea that you get paid points to care little about others, which they'd do for free anyway, is gravy to them.

The only PC without Callous is a Medical Doctor who, while he's not Callous per se, considers going through his patients pockets a required part of a First Aid roll to a NPC.

Last edited by pnewman; 01-19-2008 at 04:18 AM. Reason: spelling
pnewman is offline   Reply With Quote