Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-08-2019, 07:53 AM   #191
MikMod

Default Re: TFT Map Maker

Hi Shadekeep. I posted this in another 'hexes' thread but I think maybe it's better here? You can see how I've used your software to map square buildings. Maybe you can see how I'm missing something to stand in for doors though? Apart from that it works brilliantly!

---

A drawing of the Look Out Inn

Hex map for the Look Out Inn

The Look Out Inn was a simple four story stone lookout tower that's been added to over the years. It might be an interesting overnight for your characters. Maybe they are stopping or carrying out an assassination attempt on a noble who is staying the night. Maybe they've been charged with uncovering the local smuggling ring and have been led here just as a shipment arrives for storage upstairs. Maybe a wandering group of thugs chooses tonight to surround the inn and demand all the valuables. Maybe after they have settled down and had a few beers one of the party's arch-enemies bursts in shaking the rain from their cloak only to find the players staring back at them! In any case, the walls are good for climbing if you have a little skill, windows are not too hard to force, and the roofs are flat enough to have a running fight or chase on. Staff will be the innkeeper and his wife, plus at least one local girl serving and a stable boy. There will be more muscle around if the smugglers are dropping off or collecting goods.

You can only stand in a full hex - half hexes are too cramped too take a figure. The doors are not shown coz I cannot seem to get that bit out of the system, but maybe Shadekeep might add that?

Feel free to make use of this if its helpful.

Feedback welcome! :)
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:47 AM   #192
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMod View Post
Hi Shadekeep. I posted this in another 'hexes' thread but I think maybe it's better here? You can see how I've used your software to map square buildings. Maybe you can see how I'm missing something to stand in for doors though? Apart from that it works brilliantly!
Nicely done, and a really cool map!

As for doors, both of the ones in Shamat are hex-edge doors, as you've seen. For a mid-hex door, perhaps you can use the thinner Channel or Bands tool? Those would continue the line of the walls, but the different thickness would indicate they aren't walls themselves.

If folks think it's useful, I can add mid-hex door elements, plus hex-edge and mid-hex windows.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:16 PM   #193
amenditman

That's what I use for mid-hex doors, and I change the color.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:59 PM   #194
MikMod

I will look again. IIRC I couldn't find a way of drawing both horizontal and vertical doorways.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:50 PM   #195
Shadekeep

Another update of Shamat is out now, pushing it up to version 1.4 The main changes are:
  • New Features - I've added a Window component. Also mid-hex versions of the Door and Window are available as Mid Door and Mid Window. These make more map layouts tenable. Due to the expanding number of Features, there is now a "next palette" toggle on those as well, enabling you to switch between all the choices.
  • Megahexes - I noticed that the megahex overlay didn't work as expected with the new horizontal map grain. I've fixed that now.
  • Save File - When saving a map with megahexes enabled, the save file should store whether you selected regular or square megahexes.

Once again, please let me know if you find any issues with this release.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:28 AM   #196
MikMod

Hi,

I don't know if it is possible to add these 'extras' to make windows and doors work for maps like mine? I think one of the bars is there already.

:)

MikMods idea for windows and doors

Thank you!
Old 07-10-2019, 07:34 AM   #197
Shadekeep

Quote:
I don't know if it is possible to add these 'extras' to make windows and doors work for maps like mine? I think one of the bars is there already.
The ones where it's a bar across the middle of a hex are indeed in there. That can be done either with the Channel component or the thinner Bands feature.

The ones which overlap multiple hexes are unfortunately more complex in Shamat, as the app renders each hex discretely. So those would have to be multiple separate pieces you put together yourself, rather than a single door. Some of them could be simulated with existing components, such as placing half-hexes below overlay walls. Not very intuitive, but doable. ^_^
Old 07-10-2019, 11:35 AM   #198
MikMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
The ones where it's a bar across the middle of a hex are indeed in there. That can be done either with the Channel component or the thinner Bands feature.

The ones which overlap multiple hexes are unfortunately more complex in Shamat, as the app renders each hex discretely. So those would have to be multiple separate pieces you put together yourself, rather than a single door. Some of them could be simulated with existing components, such as placing half-hexes below overlay walls. Not very intuitive, but doable. ^_^
Yup. The additional three (all four needed) hex shapes are shown below the map. It's not completely intuitive because it's not working along one of the three existing hex axes, but I'm not sure it ever would be?
Old 07-10-2019, 12:56 PM   #199
Shadekeep

Quote:
Yup. The additional three (all four needed) hex shapes are shown below the map. It's not completely intuitive because it's not working along one of the three existing hex axes, but I'm not sure it ever would be?
I could probably add a few more components that go from point-to-point within the hex, rather than edge-to-edge. But they wouldn't look quite as nice I suspect. Still, may give it a go.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:33 AM   #200
MikMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
I could probably add a few more components that go from point-to-point within the hex, rather than edge-to-edge. But they wouldn't look quite as nice I suspect. Still, may give it a go.
If you could do the ones I posted, I would be a very happy bunny! For me, that would complete the mapmaker.