Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-26-2005, 01:59 PM   #1
NeverCool

Default Mega-spells

Yes it sounds silly. But I have just found some old notes from when a player of mine dabbled with a really strong mage character. We agreed that he could have Magery beyond level 3, and later we started talking what kind of spells would actually require that. The following are the examples in the notes I have just recovered (note that the mage did not have all of these, they were what Magery 4+ mages might have...).

I would like to know if anyone else has dabbled in extreme-power spells?

Snatch Enchantment (Enchantment)
Cast on an enchanted item, this spell will strip the item of its enchantments and place them on an item of the casters choice. A common choice would be a small rock or metal ball, to ensure it is not accidently destroyed. Even enchantments that will not work on their new home are snatched and placed on the new item! They simply will not work. this allows a powerful mage to snatch enchantments here and there and later use the same spell to place them on whatever he sees fit.
Anyone with Analyze Magic can cast that first to get a clear view of enchantments on the item in question. This allows the caster to actually select what enchantments are snatched, rather than take the whole bunch. It also warns of the cost (see below)
Duration: Permanent.
Cost to cast: 1/5 of the cost of the enchantments snatched. If Analyze Magic is not cast, the cost is not revealed until the spell has been cast! This can be lethal. A single casting of Analyze Magic can tell the total cost to snatch all enchantments on an item; further castings of A.M. will work as described in Gurps Magic, and will tell the costs of each individual enchantment.
Time to cast: 1 minute per point of cost to cast.
Prerequisites: Magery 4, Suspend Enchantment, Remove Enchantment
Item: A small iron ball, which can snatch and store enchantments. Energy cost: 50 X the maximum Cost to cast it can provide (e.g. if it can cast the spell equal to 200 points, it takes 10,000 points to make).

Blast (Fire)
Creates an explosive fire surge centering in the casters hex. Anyone in that hex takes full damage (like someone trying to kill the caster with touch or knife), and the damage then drops 2 per hex away from the center, until it is reduced to nothing. For example, someone standing 5 hexes away from a Blast doing 14 points of damage would take 4 points of damage. Anyone directly behind a full cover (man-sized shield or wall) is protected by the cover's DR, but being just one hex away from the cover nullifies the effect entirely. Can be combined with Throw Spell for terrifying results!
The caster is unharmed in the center, unless Throw Spell is used; in that case, the caster will suffer like anyone else if he is in the blast radius.
Time to cast: 1 second per die of damage.
Cost to cast: 3 per die of damage. Maximum dice of damage are the casters Magery (i.e. Magery 4 allows up to 4 dice of damage).
Item: Fist-sized rock from a lava lake. Activated by consciously willing it while holding the rock; the activating person counts as caster (and is safe in the center of the blast). 250 X the cost to cast the Blast normally, if reusable. 10 X normal cost if one-shot. will 'detonate' at full power only; no "I only want half the effect"!
Prerequisites: Magery 4, Explosive Fireball, Resist Fire.

Gathering (Mind)
This is cast on a landmark or other significant part of an area, or alternately, on a large mobile object like a wagon. People who see the mark it makes, or even sense its presence (non-visual reaction is limited to 5 yards), must roll vs. Will to refuse its call.
Its 'call' can be any of a number of things, but they all beckon people to assemble for some purpose around the mark. Once under this call, visual contact is no longer needed, and someone getting lost from the mark will try almost obsessively to find it again (this means obsessively in that persons own way. a non-violent person will not use violence to get to it, for example). Common examples involve people gathering to build monuments, or even towns, or to fight each other, or make sacrifices of some kind (casting this spell to make people surrender their belongings is a quick way to riches, but also a quick way to trouble from local lords). The nature of the call must be clearly defined at the casting, and must be somewhat logical (people may come to fight each other with no great reason at the gathering point, but not to commit irrational suicide).
Duration: 1 hour or 1 day.
Cost to cast: 0.2 per yard of visibility if cast for hourly effect, 1 per yard for full-day effect. Half to maintain. Note: In settings with broadcasting or similar technologies, the caster can pay double cost to have the effect work through broadcasting, at 1/20 effect. That means that a Gathering cast to work at 100 yards will also work within 5 yards of a TV set transmitting the source of the Gathering (the thing it was cast on), for just twice the casting cost. People will try to get to the source of the spell, though, not to the TV set...
Item: Big sign, made from solid rock or metal. energy cost is 50 times the cost to cast the appropriate day-version of the spell, but it is permanent, and people will flock to the sign to carry out its calling.
Prerequisite: Magery 5, Mass Suggestion, Mystic Mark, Lure.

I know there were other such mega-spells; I'll post them if I find them!
NeverCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 04:46 PM   #2
This Name is Taken

Default Re: Mega-spells

Snatch Enchantment sounds pretty cool, I can imagine a hench boss badguy teaching his grunts that spell - or scribing them scrolls - letting them use the spell on given target's enchanted item, and dying because it cost them so much. Bad guy chuckles, takes his new toy from the smouldering corpse.

And The Gathering, "Follow that Cab!!" or soemthing....

Did I mention that Necro Dr.Phil Avatar is truly disturbing?

Have you cuddled your Cthulhu today?
This Name is Taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 01:54 AM   #3
NeverCool

Default Re: Mega-spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by This Name is Taken
Did I mention that Necro Dr.Phil Avatar is truly disturbing?
But he is always nice to his Mom ;-)
NeverCool is offline   Reply With Quote