Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 04-18-2020, 11:39 PM   #51
trooper6

Default Re: Has COVID hit your gaming?

I haven't had an in person game for a couple of years now.

There was a monthly game in San Diego that was an in person game that I joined years ago remotely. So just me on Zoom and everyone else there in person. But a few more people have moved to remote since then. But our game continues to go strong no change because of COVID.

That said, the bulk of my gaming is not just online, but also remote streaming on Twitch. Before COVID, I was doing 1 streamed RPG a week with a one shot here or there. I started running a stream on my channel making it 2 RPGs a week. But then COVID hit. Once COVID hit, I've been inundated with RPG stream requests. I'm looking at 4-5 RPG Streams a week starting next week. I can only do that because the semester will be ending really soon giving me more time. (So Soon!). I'm feeling pretty good about how my RPG streaming life is shaping up. Though I do aim to scale back to only 3 shows a week...because it is getting to be a lot. The stream games are almost all Roll20 at the VTT, Zoom for video, and OBS for streaming. There is one that uses Discord for video rather than Zoom...but that is quite rare. And I'll be GMing A Good Society...and that won't need a VTT...so we'll be using Google Docs instead.

The only other thing COVID is doing...it threatening GENCON. I was scheduled to GM some games at GENCON and I was very excited to do that...as well as meet some of my stream community members...but...I suspect GENCON may not happen. Which would be a bummer.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:03 AM   #52
sgtcallistan

Our group is three who live in the same household, and one who visits for games.
-so we've been doing catch-ups among the three, and the parallel strand for the fourth player unfortunately on hold.

While this might seem a problem, we were actually at a point that three strands were out of sync at the time.
Three players have characters in more than one strand, so it's actually gone well.

I feel we may come up against a barrier when the calendars DO sync up, though.

So, Covid-19 hasn't prevented us gaming, exactly... :)
sgtcallistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:58 AM   #53
Anders

Anyone else have trouble focusing when playing online? I can't resist doing other things while at the computer.
Old 04-20-2020, 01:51 PM   #54
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Anyone else have trouble focusing when playing online? I can't resist doing other things while at the computer.
I think it depends. If it's voice chat, I have a hard enough time hearing people through speakers I don't want to chance missing something someone said, especially the GM. Or I am the GM and thus have to pay attention to everything and make sure I am coming across as clear as possible.

If it's typing, then I have to do something else during downtime to be able to focus on the campaign. Usually it's reading something that doesn't require heavy thinking.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:15 PM   #55
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I think it depends. If it's voice chat, I have a hard enough time hearing people through speakers I don't want to chance missing something someone said, especially the GM. Or I am the GM and thus have to pay attention to everything and make sure I am coming across as clear as possible.
I'm hard of hearing, so when we actually start gaming, I hook up a headset so I can hear more clearly and it blocks external sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
If it's typing, then I have to do something else during downtime to be able to focus on the campaign. Usually it's reading something that doesn't require heavy thinking.
Ugh, I can't stand playing-by-type. I've had issues with it keeping me focused and me falling asleep between posts.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:17 PM   #56
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
I'm hard of hearing, so when we actually start gaming, I hook up a headset so I can hear more clearly and it blocks external sound.
I have issues with white noise so a headset makes perfect sense. My old one finally broke down :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Ugh, I can't stand playing-by-type. I've had issues with it keeping me focused and me falling asleep between posts.
I feel it only works in one-on-one and definitely not in a combat heavy game (a single fight takes forever).
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 04:13 PM   #57
trooper6

Quote:
For streaming there is no way I can multitask because I'm streaming for a live audience...so any sort of distraction is unprofessional. For the online game I'm in that isn't streamed, I'm the note-taker so I'm pretty focused there as well.

I find online to be more intense in terms of focus rather than offline were people can just get up and wander around or checkout for a while.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:28 PM   #58
namada
Banned

Quote:
This has always been my biggest resistance to digital gaming. Anytime anyone pulls out an electronic device, they're going to do other stuff and become an annoying d-bag.
Anyone ever have a GM pull out their phone, mid-session, say, "I have to take this call," disappear for 20 minutes? Leaving you sitting there thinking, "2 years ago when you didn't have that iPhone, you didn't 'need' to take any calls mid-game, so no, you didn't 'need' to take that call - you 'wanted' to. Goodbye useless."
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:04 AM   #59
Fred Brackin

Well, my group has decided to try a virtual session via Skype and it turns out that my equipment is not ready to join the 21st century. My IPad is too old to work with Skype and a microphone and webcam I found in The Computer Cabinet of Accessories Past don't appear to work at all. I'm sure the microphone worked fine in 1998 though I'll admit I never even tried the webcam.

So it looks like I'm out for at least the first session. I can probably afford a new microphone and assume I'll amortise its' cost over many future sessions but Amazon isn't doing a lot of two-daying stuff right now. I guess I'll see what the group does abot a second virtual session.

At this point I hope that everyone has figured out that they have more knowledge and experience in this sort of thing than I do. Knowledgeable advice on the practicalities of going virtual is welcome.

This dead end on problem one does postpone any action on what would be problem two. The session is going to be the start of a Numenera game. I believe the GM is probably using the Numenera Starter Set (which is half-price of $12.50 at Monte Cook's site). I played a couple of sessions some years ago and was so underwhelmed that I never bought book for the game.

I made a character out of a borrowed book last time but that doesn't work so well when you have no common table. there are going to be pregens but hours and hours of choosing actions at random and asking "What dice do I roll?" is demoralizing.

Any advice on subjects related to " Oh! Numerera can be lots of fun if you just do x, y and z!" is also welcome.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:16 AM   #60
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
At this point I hope that everyone has figured out that they have more knowledge and experience in this sort of thing than I do. Knowledgeable advice on the practicalities of going virtual is welcome.
Well, testing your setup well in advance is recommended but probably something you've already figured out. I had to go out and buy a new headset (for something like $50) when we started testing our ability to go online (fortunately we were testing before COVID actually hit), but in general I would assume that session 1 will be nothing but making sure everyone can actually run.

Tags
gaming, illness