Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-10-2019, 09:21 AM   #1
DataPacRat

Default [BioTech] How Heavy Is My Flying Squirrel?

With TL10 geneering, how do the "Miniature Human" weight changes affect the "Winged Human" formulas?

Let's say that the species-modification tweaks are Miniature Human (Scale 1/2, weight 1/8), Brain Modifications to fix the IQ penalty, Musculo-Skeleton Modifications to bring ST back up to 8 and another +3 Lifting ST on top of that (for a Basic Lift of 24 lbs), Glandular Modifications to add Skinny, and sugar-glider-like flaps built as "Flight (40), Controlled Gliding (-45%), Winged (-25%), Accessibility (Requires Low Gravity, 0.?G, -?%), Temporary Disadvantage (No Fine Manipulators, -30%)". Sure, the Limitation value of this Accessibility doesn't matter since we're already over -80%, but I want to figure out what that low-g requirement actually is.

Assuming a standard-pressure atmosphere, Bio-Tech says to figure out the average racial body weight (with Skinny: ST^3 * .15 * 2/3 = 51.2), and to calculate the maximum gravity for controlled gliding by totting up (1.5 * Basic Lift / AvgRacialBodyWeight = 36 / Weight).

Do I ignore the Miniature section when figuring out Winged stats (=51.2 lbs, 0.7 G)? Do I just take the 1/8th weight figure from Miniature (=12.5 lbs, glide in up to 2.9 G)? Do I take the formula from the winged section, and multiply that by 1/8? Do I do something else?

(If it matters, yes, this clade will also get the other expected tree-climbing-and-gliding geneering traits: Fur, Blunt Claws, Sharp Teeth, Prehensile Toes, Prehensile Tail, Brachiator, Double-Jointed, Perfect Balance, 3D Spatial Sense, etc.)
"Then again, maybe I'm wrong."
DataPacRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:28 AM   #2
Rupert

Default Re: [BioTech] How Heavy Is My Flying Squirrel?

I'd use the formula from the flight section. The weight for making the species miniature is correct for a ST5 species, but you've bumped the ST back up by quite a lot, and so your species should weigh rather more than a half-height, 1/8th weight, ST5 miniature human would.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:41 AM   #3
DataPacRat

Default Re: [BioTech] How Heavy Is My Flying Squirrel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
I'd use the formula from the flight section. The weight for making the species miniature is correct for a ST5 species, but you've bumped the ST back up by quite a lot, and so your species should weigh rather more than a half-height, 1/8th weight, ST5 miniature human would.
So simply treat the weight figures under Mini as special cases of the more general formula under Winged? I can work with that.

Hm... should I also tweak the clade's food requirements similarly - basing the numbers of meals per day on Mini (ie, 6 instead of 3), but size of each meal on Average Weight (ie, at ~50 lbs instead of 150, each meal is 1/3rd normal), for a total of twice a human's intake?
"Then again, maybe I'm wrong."
DataPacRat is offline   Reply With Quote