Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
Figleaf23
Banned

Default Re: [GM] a Gods tool - the Shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by korbeau View Post
What I understand about Modular Abilities his you must have a top reach of the number of CP you put in there - that's what determine the cost of Modular Abilities.

What i need is a no limit slot and the slot include all what the character sheet can include.

Should it look like Modular Abilities (Cosmic +50%), cost [375] and I let a pool of 250CP? That way, he could put whatever CP point in whatever thing he want to?
For a Shell with a pool of 500cp, the cost of the advantage would be [750]?
You want Cosmic Modular Ability, not Modular Ability (Cosmic).

Cosmic Modular Ability ignores slots and costs 10cp per point of Modular Abilities you can buy. For example, if you have Cosmic Modular Ability 10, it costs [100] and you can freely generate any combination of GURPS traits that would normally cost 10 points at character generation.

A 'shell' that can spend 250 points would require 2500 cp.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #12
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by korbeau View Post
What I understand about Modular Abilities his you must have a top reach of the number of CP you put in there - that's what determine the cost of Modular Abilities.

What i need is a no limit slot and the slot include all what the character sheet can include.

Should it look like Modular Abilities (Cosmic +50%), cost [375] and I let a pool of 250CP? That way, he could put whatever CP point in whatever thing he want to?
For a Shell with a pool of 500cp, the cost of the advantage would be [750]?
Just looking at the book and your posting, Ericthered is right. The cost is 10 points per point in the pool, so to have a 250 point pool, it will cost 2,500. I don't think that you can get it much cheaper than that. The -50% form of Cosmic is for only minor full bending rather than major rule-breaking like this. This is the most Cosmic thing in the books, so I'm not sure I'd allow either limitations or enhancements.

However, the RAW have it taking time equal to one second per ability. If you want it to take extra time, it would be a limitation maybe worth -10%. IMHO.

I would suggest that the blank shell have more than average human intelligence so he can figure out what he needs.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #13
Anders

Look under Modular Ability.

However, since this is an NPC you can just say "this is how it works" and never mind the point cost.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #14
korbeau

yea sure but this template would be available for the player after the encounter...

Like I read in the book, it's said "10 point per ability"
I want a skill at 16, would cost me 1600?? And what about the skill at 22?

I don't want to cap the limit of the "ability" (advantage or skills). The only limit is the CP pool. (yea, i know it's weird talking Character point for NPC but like i said, My PC would have a game with thoses creatures as playable).

If it was only NPC, you bet i wouldn't care about the math :D
korbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
Mathulhu

Modular Abilities can be interesting to work with, a friends and I once built a powers based spell casting system off modular abilities that ended up at less than 1pt per additional point in the power.

The 10 points for 1 point allow you to swap that one point around as much as you like with a second of concentration. If you add some limitations they will bring the cost down very quickly.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #16
korbeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
You want Cosmic Modular Ability, not Modular Ability (Cosmic).

Cosmic Modular Ability ignores slots and costs 10cp per point of Modular Abilities you can buy. For example, if you have Cosmic Modular Ability 10, it costs [100] and you can freely generate any combination of GURPS traits that would normally cost 10 points at character generation.

A 'shell' that can spend 250 points would require 2500 cp.
Oh ok.. I understand.
well.. a Shell of 250cp would be a 2500cp character. Time to choose the next book - Gurps Horror or Guprs Super :P
Old 05-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #17
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
However, the RAW have it taking time equal to one second per ability. If you want it to take extra time, it would be a limitation maybe worth -10%. IMHO.
Takes Extra Time is listed on page B115 and is -10% per level.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #18
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Takes Extra Time is listed on page B115 and is -10% per level.
However, that is for each doubling of time. How would you figure out how to stat this one?

I suppose that one could guess that the average addition is 12-15 points, which would be worth -40% (the amount for times 16). This is assuming a lot of little skills and a few major stats/advantages.

Me, as GM, I would just use the RAW and keep it to one second per ability rather than one second per CP.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:39 AM   #19
korbeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post

Me, as GM, I would just use the RAW and keep it to one second per ability rather than one second per CP.
Yes, I think it's a better idea then 1 CP per sec.
Thank you all for your help and opinions :)

Tags
cabal, cthulhu, in nomine, infinite worlds, mage