Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 08:35 AM   #71
Icelander

Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
It makes no sense for the same personnel to have both a Sense of Duty and an involuntary Duty. The Sense of Duty makes the involuntary Duty unnecessary; the involuntary Duty is likely to imperil the Sense of Duty, as people don't usually care about those who control them with threats and coercion.
A brain implant which imposes Sense of Duty, as well as a requirement to be at the beck and call of their masters at all times* seems to fit that. Certainly I'd allow a brainwashed PC to still count his Duty as (Unwilling), even if the character has been convinced with super-science or magic that he actually wishes to serve his kidnapper.

*Which is what Duty amounts to. No amount of Sense of Duty makes Duty unnecessary on a character sheet. A character with Sense of Duty will, in his own time, using his own methods, do what he thinks is best for X. A character who also has Duty toward X will have to fit his adventuring and any personal plans he has into the times he's not working for X, not to mention that he is probably not in charge of deciding how he'll serve his master.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:43 AM   #72
Michele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
The infantry is the key to winning wars
Yes, if you are interested in the real estate, and the more you are interested in gaining it relatively undamaged, the more desirable infantry gets. If on the other hand the places where you can attack the enemy are Antarctica and the orbit, well... that's different.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:47 AM   #73
johndallman
Night Watchman

2.4 million people with a -30 secret is impossible. It will get blown long before that many people are inducted, and that will destroy the company.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:53 AM   #74
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Help Genesis win the lawsuit without licensing its processes or products:

• Adam and Angela undergo the experimental metamorphosis virus Origin and transcend the limitations of their own species, the homo superior is born.
  • Eva opposes the transformation, maintaining her human condition.
  • Lily Crucible begins to collaborate with the three geniuses.
  • There is a merger between the four original companies that gives rise to the corporation known as Genesis Technologies.

• There is a strong argument between Lily and Eva in which the first defends that the transformation of the human condition is something desirable, which finally leads the second to overcome the deep inferiority complex that she had as a result of the abuses of her father and his subsequent murder.
  • Angela discovers the relationship between her sentimental partner and Lily Crucible, immediately informing about it to Adam.
  • Eva Medici and Lily Crucible undergo the Origin virus.

• The US government begins to investigate Genesis Technologies due to alleged monopolistic practices and asks the corporation to license its processes and products to third parties.

• Genesis Technologies refuses to sign a decree of consent of the US Department of Justice and antitrust legal actions are initiated against the corporation.

• Judge Yvette Alexander reports on her findings and states that Genesis' dominance of the health market constitutes a monopoly.

• The court orders to dismember Genesis and license its processes and products.
  • Representatives of Genesis file an appeal directly with the Supreme Court of the United States.
  • The Supreme Court refuses to consider the appeal and sends it to the federal appeals court.
  • The San Francisco District Court of Appeals reverses Judge Alexander's ruling, who does not attend the sessions and is accused of unethical conduct in relation to the interviews she had granted to the press, in violation of the Code of Conduct of the judges of the United States.
  • Judge Alexia McDaniels is chosen to judge the case.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:58 AM   #75
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
1. So its better not to patent it to keep secrecy, okey.
Realistically that still leaves problems around secrecy. Presuming they are actually selling ultratech products or services as their business, the great majority of them will need safety authority and/or regulatory approval.

Quote:
2. About thirty years.
Okay, but FYI, patent protection in the U.S. is 20 years.

Quote:
3. I will lower it to $13,00[0, which I think to be the minimum for a high qualified professional.
You don't need to pay receptionists, office cleaners, admin assistants, bookkeepers, interns, lab assistants, truck drivers, night watchmen, etc. the rates of highly qualified professionals. If you do, you will run into issues around heirarchical expectations.

Quote:
4. Governments and financial companies. Maybe I will just create two kinds of shares, with the leader being supervoting ones.
Some more questions then: When did they become participants (particularly, before or after the merger, all in one sort of offering or over time)? What were the reasons for seeking them as shareholders, and what are their reasons and expectations for joining? Can you be more specific about the share percentages they hold?

Quote:
5. About sixteen years ago. The pre-merger valuation could have been about 120 billions total (30 billion dollars each).
Need clarification (though perhaps some will come from the questions above). I sounds like the lines of credit were secured around the time of the merger. You didn't say who provided them or how they were obtained (noting that the value of the company immediately after the merger seems to have been $120B, what revenue evidence/expectations supported the loan applications) . Also, hundreds of billions could be 200 or 900, can be you be more specific? Finally, how much remains outstanding on them, and what is/was the average of the carrying interest rate?

Quote:
6. Yes, thats what I thought. Could they do that with supervoting shares, or they need to own an specific share of equity?
A simple majority of votes could effect a compulsory buy-out. If you have a supervoting share structure, proving you are being fair to the minority being forced out will be more rigorous. But another snag for realism is the nature of your minority holders. Governments and banks would be sophisticated investors who would probably have sought agreements to protect them from the whims of the majority of supervotes. Or they may have rejected a supervoting structure entirely.

Quote:
7. How would you use the White Queen?
If I was a person or entity that is a viable rival, I would look at how I could induce WQ to mismanage over time leading to eventual critical business failures, possibly through faulty information or subtle problems with the algorithms.

Quote:
*The first level is the general one, for warehouses, hospitals, offices, factories, stores, etc. The second one is the research one, for laboratories and such.
Is this kind of split provided for or meaningful in the Boardroom and Curia rules?

Oh, and BTW, I think getting into a physical war with the nations of the earth will tank your markets and business prospects. And why would you. Just go to a poor archipelago state and cut a deal for what you need. Going to war against your customers seems impractical.

Further edit: How do you propose to keep your secrets with 2400000 employees?

Last edited by Donny Brook; 01-11-2019 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:59 AM   #76
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Your scheme might work better if you did it off Earth, by asteroid mining.
That was the plan for the future, but seems like there would be a lawsuit for violations of antitrust laws before that, so it may need to be fixed first.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:00 AM   #77
AlexanderHowl

Infantry is not key to winning wars at TL8. Air superiority is key to winning wars at TL8. You can see that it the last seventy years of US military conflicts. In conflicts where the USA attempted to control territory with infantry (Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.), they lost or stalemated after years of being bogged down (the US is still in South Korea. In conflicts where the USA used air superiority to cause the submission of their enemies (the First Gulf War, Bosnia, Kosovo, etc.), the US was able to declare victory and pretty much handed things over to the UN to clean up.

The error in modern military thinking is believing any infantry beyond snipers matter at TL8. At best, infantry can help the UN organize the clean up following the bombing runs of the USA and USN. At worst, infantry ends up being pack mules to take questionable objectives, using outdated tactics and inferior equipment, that the unbroken enemy will take back next year.

Of course, snipers are the exception. A ten person squad, divided into two sniper teams (flanker, sniper, spotter, and team leader) and a command element (communicator and squad leader) can cleanly engage two targets at a time, meaning that they can kill enemies without much risk to bystanders (unlike air superiority). A sniper team can kill two targets a day without difficulty and, sense they are only expending two bullets, they are vast more efficient than normal infantry (which expended 1 million bullets per enemy killed in Iraq and Afghanistan by some estimates and killed or wounded hundreds of bystanders per enemy killed). It makes you wonder why any military bothers with standard infantry.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #78
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
2.4 million people with a -30 secret is impossible. It will get blown long before that many people are inducted, and that will destroy the company.
He did note that the employees are brainwashed and there is an AI running security.
Of course, as with the android army, exactly how he got to that point without being shutdown in the early days is left as an exercise to the reader...
Old 01-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #79
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
An organization that has Enemy (Worldwide media) almost certainly is not also going to have Reputation +2.
Everyone, for high-quality products. They´re watchers.

Last edited by Alonsua; 01-11-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:07 AM   #80
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
In conflicts where the USA used air superiority to cause the submission of their enemies (the First Gulf War, Bosnia, Kosovo, etc.), the US was able to declare victory and pretty much handed things over to the UN to clean up.
Sure, but now they play at home. Will the public love a few bombings perpetrated by the nation's own rulers in the most important US cities against an apparently peaceful corporation that provides them with dreamy medical technologies and treatments?
Closed Thread