Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-25-2009, 08:48 PM   #41
LoneWolf23k

Default Re: [Banestorm] Rom's custom Banestorm

More Dimensions, this time hailing from D&D:

Faerie: Also known as the Feywild, this shiftrealm floats through the multiverse, and is populated by numerous fae creatures, including the elf-like Sidhe-lords. It is currently divided into two realms, one ruled jointly by the Seelie monarchs Queen Titania and King Oberon, and the other under the iron grasp of the Unseelie Queen of Air and Darkness. The two realms are currently at peace, although there is tension between the groups. It is connected to Yrth via a few trods across Caithness and Megalos.

The Shadowfell: This Dark Echo of Yrth is a world of gloom and darkness, inhabited by the spirits of the dead and creatures of darkness and shadow. Many believe it is the afterlife, or at least Purgatory.

The Elemental Chaos/Planes: Scholars are still divided on whether or not the Elemental Planes count as multiple dimensions, or just one. What is known is that it is inhabited by virtually every imaginable type of Elemental and Para-Elemental imaginable to thaumatologists. Of perticular note are the Elemental Archons, an intelligent and militaristic race of armor-clad, weapon-using Elementals who are not averse to cooperation between different Elements.

The Far Realm: This is the name given by scholars to the mysterious world from which the Banestorm brings a wide variety of nightmarish alien creatures, possessed of impossible anatomies and impenetrable mindsets, collectively categorized simply as "Aberrations".
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #42
LoneWolf23k

Haven't updated this thread in days, so here's a new bit... Converting D&D material to fit into the Banestorm setting. For starters, everyone's favorite obsidian-skinned, spider-loving, matriarchical race of fantasy bad guys...

The Drow

The Drow do not exist on Yrth.

Well, all right, there are some ancient elven legends dating back to the dawn of elven civilisation, about a group of elves who turned away from the Eternal, to worship a dark entity known only as "The Spider Queen", which apparantly drove it's followers to madness and violence, and this led to a civil war, which ended with the Spider Queen worshippers being nearly exterminated, the survivors fleeing into the depths of the underworld for shelter.

That was the last time any elf ever saw any of the "Drow" as they would be come to be called, but to this day they are used as bogeymen to frighten elven and dwarven children. Those parents tell horror stories of the dark underworld kingdom of the Drow, ruled by sadistic witch-queens and priestesses, who revere monstrous spiders and enslave outsiders for labor and unspeakable torments, while plotting the conquest of the surface world...

But no reasonable elf puts credence to such tales.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #43
Voltron64

Hey Lone, you old genius, you!

Any thoughts of updating this old thread?
Voltron64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #44
LoneWolf23k

Well, since there's still some interest in this thread, I'll just going to make a quick update, based on #13 of Pyramid.

-The Archetypes of Fairy Tale Magic: a relatively recent discovery, records having been made of unusual spellcasters, displaying not common spellcasting abilities, but instead strange ritual powers based on folk stories and fairy tales.

-Mystic Knights, and Imbuement Magic: Imbuement magic is known of, but until recently, was rarer then spell magic. But the Templar knights have recently developed a new order of Imbuement-using warriors known as the Mystic Knights. Time will tell how successful these will be, and whether or not they will inspire the creation of other Imbuement-based warrior orders (or if others already exist in secret)

-The Book of Null: the vile sorceror who's dark deeds and wicked curse were recorded in the Book of Null was in fact a Megalan sorceror (which explains a lot, really). For the past 300 years, the Null have secretly operated out of the catacombs of Megalos, and have occasionally spread to other cities, before being wittled down to near extinction by Michaelite Inquisitions. Nonetheless, the Book of Null always manages to somehow avoid destruction, and inevitably resurfaces, creating new Nulls, starting the cycle anew.

-Red Diabolism: Diabolists are not unknown in Ytarria, and are targeted by agents of the Inquisition for obvious reasons.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:19 AM   #45
Voltron64

Hey Lone, how are you thinking of adding material from the more recent Dungeon Fantasy pdfs to Banestorm?

Also, got any ideas for personally created signature characters for the setting as well?

(PS, sorry for the necro.)
Old 04-05-2010, 07:36 PM   #46
LoneWolf23k

Well, time for some Necromancy.

I don't have any custom signature characters yet, Voltron, but as I've recently gotten a group interested in the setting, I may change that soon.

Now, I was thinking of a few short notes for this update, based on Pyramid Vol 3, Issue 1.

-The Hermetic Brotherhood of the Silver Order is a standard Wizard's Guild based out of Quarterdec

-Undead Arm Grafts, Skull-tipped wands and Improved Zombies are all commonplace in Abydos.

-Curses and Magic Gems are slightly less common, but well-known. Cursing, in particular, is considered a blasphemous crime in most corners of Ytarria, and punished as such.

-The Island Continent of Su-Dwar is located West-by-southwest of Araterre, and is only occasionally explored by Aralaise sailors.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #47
Voltron64

[QUOTE=LoneWolf23k;962729]Well, time for some Necromancy.

I don't have any custom signature characters yet, Voltron, but as I've recently gotten a group interested in the setting, I may change that soon.[QUOTE]

Well I got one NPC-wise.

-Felix Magister (Adapted from the GURPS Magic viginettes), basically a Gandalf/Elminister-type Archmage. I'd have him be Caithness-born origin-wise and currently be around his mid-70s age-wise. He's known throughout Ytarria and considered one of the most powerful mages in the history of Yrth. He's has an array of contacts and allies, including a few Dragon Wyrms and rulers such as the Caliph of Al-Wazif (who he's a good friend with). He's of course, also made quite a few enemies. There's even one story that goes around, that when he was once surrounded by a small gang of Balikites, he beat them all without any magic but rather with good-old fashioned swordplay.

That's all for now.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #48
LoneWolf23k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron64 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
Well, time for some Necromancy.

I don't have any custom signature characters yet, Voltron, but as I've recently gotten a group interested in the setting, I may change that soon.
Well I got one NPC-wise.

-Felix Magister (Adapted from the GURPS Magic viginettes), basically a Gandalf/Elminister-type Archmage. I'd have him be Caithness-born origin-wise and currently be around his mid-70s age-wise. He's known throughout Ytarria and considered one of the most powerful mages in the history of Yrth. He's has an array of contacts and allies, including a few Dragon Wyrms and rulers such as the Caliph of Al-Wazif (who he's a good friend with). He's of course, also made quite a few enemies. There's even one story that goes around, that when he was once surrounded by a small gang of Balikites, he beat them all without any magic but rather with good-old fashioned swordplay.

That's all for now.
Interesting character you got there.

I think I should start working on some Signature characters of my own. I especially want to see if I can't make a "Lich King" type with a uniquely Ytarrian twist. ...Perhaps an Abydosian fanatic warlord?
Old 05-02-2010, 02:09 PM   #49
newtkeeper

[QUOTE=Voltron64;975715][QUOTE=LoneWolf23k;962729]Well, time for some Necromancy.

Quote:

Well I got one NPC-wise.

That's all for now.
That's weird. I have a sort of a running character by the name of Felix Magister, and I'm pretty sure I've had him since before I read GURPS:Magic (at least, I don't recall that as a source). Orbital Mind Control Laser?
newtkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #50
Voltron64

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
Interesting character you got there.

I think I should start working on some Signature characters of my own. I especially want to see if I can't make a "Lich King" type with a uniquely Ytarrian twist. ...Perhaps an Abydosian fanatic warlord?
Got some more NPC concepts for you as well.

-An eccentric Hazi inventor who seems to always wear a pair of large googles and whose devices tend to cause lots of destruction. (I totally agree with you on the whole Al-haz being a TL4 land of Shia Muslim clockpunks.)

-A wandering Knight-Errant who travels across the continent, looking to challenge the greatest swordsmen in 1-to-1 combat.

-An expy of Blackadder.