Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-14-2019, 04:33 AM   #1
KBH

Default Deathwatch

Hi,

I started recently with GURPS and also came up with a Deathwatch conversion, besides Onkl's excellent work.

In this folder, I provide three files
  • gurpsDeathwatch.pdf is the current work as backbone for the conversion, i.e., summarizing ideas and proposels from various GURPS sources
  • spaceMarines.pdf provides six ready to play Space Marines
  • spaceMarineCards.pdf is an attempt to boil down the combat relevant stats and play with the Tactical Combat rules little skirmish games like Kill-Team(tm)

Any suggestions and comments are highly welcomed and appreciated.
KBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #2
Maz

Default Re: Deathwatch

Gave it a quick read through. Looks very nice. :)

There are some stats I feel are off. For instance I feel the genestealers have way too high DR, the homagaunts should get some AD on their attacks, the plasmapistols should be able to severely wound a marine and so on. But you can play around with those numbers and set them to the style you prefer.

A few things I noticed on my admittedly very quick skim through:

"What is PF 10" you note. PF 10 is protection against radiation. It divides all radiation damage by 10. See campaigns p. 436.

Oh and there are no stats for plasagun in there, only pistol and cannon. (and the plasmaguns all lack a high and low setting)
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:00 PM   #3
KBH

Hi Maz,

thank you very much for your feedback and kind words.

Indeed, some stats are bit off and I start to adjust them since I get more and more into GURPS after a couple of sessions.

As such, I revised the Tyranid weapons and tried to streamline them.

Regarding the DR of the Genestealer, I am following FFG's Deathwatch to have a relation between weapon and armour values. For instance, a Space Marine's power armour has a value of 10 at torso, where a Genestealer is supposed to have 4, which is 40%.
Now, taking the Powered Combat Armor (HT p.183) as a Space Marine's Power Armour I have to take 40% of DR 70/50. That's how I try to map the game stats.

However, in the recent games there has been no problem at all with killing Genestealers, since the Boltgun with 8d(2) pi++ usually kills a Genestealer with one or at least two hits.

Work in progress. :)
Old 07-27-2019, 04:29 PM   #4
KBH

Now with distinctively revised Tyranid weapons. :)
Old 09-21-2019, 02:44 AM   #5
KBH

Hi,
I continued the work and have a question about the idea of an Honor Duel, which is usually applied to settle a disagreement, e.g., see here.

As a rough guideline, I thought to give this duel multiple parts (phases) to reflect the martial prowess which is nonetheless bound to the honor of a Space Marine (or even his chapter).

For the rules, I'd roughly followed the guidelines of Manipulation, Intimidating and Taunting from Social Engineering.

For instance, at first, both combatants might walk to the arena while citing their achievements in battle, showing their medals on their armor and while getting off their protection, proudly presenting the scars of former battle on their skin to the opponent.
Question: Which skills to use for an Influence Roll or make a Quick-Contest of it or simply each combatant writes down the MoS to appease the judge of the duel?

Second, both enemies study their opponent. Might be a Body Language test to check for the enemies tactic or even a Taunting check. If the enemy looses the latter, it is called a lack of discipline and the Space Marine looses this phase of the duel.
However, the Space Marine giving in to the taunt, might directly attack which gives him the first strike for the third phase. What about making such a provoking taunt, that the opponent is literally stunned which gives a critical success of the second phase and does not cause the opponent to directly attack.

Third and finally, the melee battle. It is simply about the first hit. However, it could be limited to a number of rounds to force the battle to end. If no one is able to land a blow, at the end, the accumulated MoS of attack and defense rolls decide who the winner is, since he showed a greater display of skill to the judge.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks and best, KBH.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:27 AM   #6
Andreas

It might be better to handle the second phase as an influence roll towards the audience as well. Space marines are, as I understand it, supposed to be extremely strong willed and disiplined. Being litteraly stunned by taunts like that, seems like it would disqualify them even as normal elite soldiers, and they are supposed to be superhumans who can fight directly against demons and other horrors.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:24 AM   #7
KBH

Hi Andreas,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
It might be better to handle the second phase as an influence roll towards the audience as well. Space marines are, as I understand it, supposed to be extremely strong willed and disiplined. Being litteraly stunned by taunts like that, seems like it would disqualify them even as normal elite soldiers, and they are supposed to be superhumans who can fight directly against demons and other horrors.
I agree with you, that my initial setup is indeed not plausible enough.
To be more precise, the second phase, is about a Space Marine's honor, i.e., about his deeds.
So, do you think it is reasonable to allow several skills like Perform (to accomplish a courageous speech), Savour-Fair (about the role to follow its duty as a Space Marine) but also Intimidation to make the opponent feel inferior with its own accomplishments.
Especially with the latter, would it be more reasonable that a critical success might impose a -1 penalty to all skill checks, since the opponent is literally impressed by the honor of his opponent - instead of leading to (mental) stun? This penalty might be dropped for the 2nd combat round, since the combat reflexes take over ...

Thanks and best, KBH
Old 09-21-2019, 10:17 AM   #8
Andreas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBH View Post
Hi Andreas,

I agree with you, that my initial setup is indeed not plausible enough.
To be more precise, the second phase, is about a Space Marine's honor, i.e., about his deeds.
So, do you think it is reasonable to allow several skills like Perform (to accomplish a courageous speech), Savour-Fair (about the role to follow its duty as a Space Marine) but also Intimidation to make the opponent feel inferior with its own accomplishments.
Especially with the latter, would it be more reasonable that a critical success might impose a -1 penalty to all skill checks, since the opponent is literally impressed by the honor of his opponent - instead of leading to (mental) stun? This penalty might be dropped for the 2nd combat round, since the combat reflexes take over ...

Thanks and best, KBH
Isn't it the first phase that is about their deeds?

Sure that does sound more reasonable. There is after all a huge difference between being stunned and such a penalty.

Space marines who find themselves greatly outmatched during the taunting might also choose to "lose" that round by attacking their opponent. Not because they actually lose control of themselves (unless perhaps if they have some applicable disadvantage), but because they consider that a lesser loss of face than continuing to suffer the taunting.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:25 PM   #9
KBH

Hi Andreas,
Quote:
Isn't it the first phase that is about their deeds?
Good point. I see it more as a display of honor, while the second phase is about testing your conviction.
Maybe compare it with a job application, at first you send in your CV (first phase) and if that convices HR they will invite you to test your personality (second phase), i.e., if you really have the skills and abilities you haven written about in your CV and for example what you consider "advanced" skills in something.

Quote:
Space marines who find themselves greatly outmatched during the taunting might also choose to "lose" that round by attacking their opponent. Not because they actually lose control of themselves (unless perhaps if they have some applicable disadvantage), but because they consider that a lesser loss of face than continuing to suffer the taunting.
Interesting idea, I will think about it! :)

Tags
beetle, wh40k