Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #41
ImperialOne

Default Re: iPad/iOS GURPS Character Sheet releasing soon - request for weird test characters

Sad indeed... I can't believe the only GURPS app out there is for the Android OS.
ImperialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #42
Dan_McCurdy

Default Re: iPad/iOS GURPS Character Sheet releasing soon - request for weird test characters

@Archangel Beth - thanks, I appreciate it. I really just hope that an official app is released at some point since people are obviously desperate for it (although I do wonder if there is any commercial viability in it).

To those people who are asking me in PMs to release the code to them, I am sorry but I will not do this under any circumstance without SJG's explicit permission. While it may not technically be against copyright rules (I'm not sure) it's against the express wishes of Steve Jackson, and that's enough for me.

I am happy to provide programming TIPS (not code) for those developing their own personal apps (not for distribution), assuming there are no objections from SJG, as this was really more a learning project for me than a commercial one. It is a really good primer for parsing XML and building a "multiple table" app with a central data core, with lots of popups and view hierachies. With my knowledge after building the app, it could probably be built from scratch in a weekend or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayDowling View Post
This is, sadly, one of the perils of doing work on speculation.
Respectfully, I don't see this as a case of speculation. SJG's online policy makes it unequivocally clear that game aids are fine as long as they are released for free. It makes no distinction between platforms. Since there has been no official update to this, I can't see any reason why anyone else couldn't create their own iPad app and release it for free. My case is different, I admit, in that I specifically asked for permission before releasing and was rejected.

Assuming that the creator referenced SJG's online policy upon submission of the app, I SERIOUSLY doubt that Apple would entertain any request to take down the app, based upon Apple's own developer guidelines and developer protection policy. If the online policy didn't provide tacit support for Game Aids, this would be a very different matter though.

Last edited by Dan_McCurdy; 05-06-2012 at 02:40 PM. Reason: More stupid iPad autocorrections ...
Dan_McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #43
Dan_McCurdy

Hi again,

To anyone coming to this thread later, I've noticed that the online policy has been updated now to make it clear that mobile apps are a no-no.

On the positive side it does say "for now" so hopefully once SJG have reviewed it all internally they will change this to "Ok". If it ever does change and I get the OK from SJG I'll definitely release it ASAP. I wait with bated breath ...

Cheers,

Dan
Dan_McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #44
pepsaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_McCurdy View Post
Hi again,

To anyone coming to this thread later, I've noticed that the online policy has been updated now to make it clear that mobile apps are a no-no.

On the positive side it does say "for now" so hopefully once SJG have reviewed it all internally they will change this to "Ok". If it ever does change and I get the OK from SJG I'll definitely release it ASAP. I wait with bated breath ...

Cheers,

Dan
Point of interest. An iPad is no more a "mobile device" than is an ultrabook or tablet PC. An iPad is not a phone. If software that runs on a laptop / ultrabook is kosher, then an iPad-limited iOS device should be kosher as well.

Beyond that, is there a clear rationale for the 'mobile device' ban? Or is it simply a matter of paranoia? (-10 Points)
pepsaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #45
Mushraeddur

I would so love an app for gurps. I don't care if it can create sheets, I just want an interactive sheet. I use iplay4e when I was playing dnd and it was nice to not deal with pencil paper during game sessions! I hope your project will one day see the light of day on my iPad!
Mushraeddur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:21 PM   #46
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsaholic View Post
An iPad is no more a "mobile device" than is an ultrabook or tablet PC.
Respectfully, we disagree. iPads and iPhones and iPod touches run on the same OS, which is NOT the OS shared by Mac computers (laptop or otherwise). We therefore put them in the same category.

Just being clear for anyone watching that your opinion may be shared by some, but it's our IP and it's our opinion about what constitutes a "mobile device" that controls here.

(And yes, the same is true for Android phones and Android tablets.)

Edited to add: If you have a better term of art that sums up all of those types of devices, we'd love to hear it. For now, "mobile devices" conveys our meaning adequately, we think.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 10-25-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:16 AM   #47
pepsaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Respectfully, we disagree. iPads … run on the same OS…. We therefore put them in the same category.

Edited to add: If you have a better term of art that sums up all of those types of devices, we'd love to hear it. For now, "mobile devices" conveys our meaning adequately, we think.
Fair enough. However (also respectfully) my post was less about the term "mobile device" and the concept of a mobile device. What difference does OS or Platform (computer vs phone vs tablet) make with regard to Intellectual Property? (edit) Meaning: I can take my laptop with me to a gaming session, or I can take my iPad to a gaming session. It _should_ make no difference to you either way.

More to the point, I realize that it's your IP, so you can say what's kosher. But you seem to have missed the more important gist of my post. Can you explain the rationale behind banning a character sheet app for mobile devices? As an eager potential user, it seems somewhat arbitrary to block based on OS/Platform. Usually, such blocks are because developers don't want the hassle of porting to a particular OS/Platform, but this is clearly not the case. There's a developer (the original post in this thread) with the product apparently ready for release, but you've put the kibosh on it for (seemingly) arbitrary reasons.

Last edited by pepsaholic; 10-26-2012 at 12:34 AM.
pepsaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #48
robkelk
Untitled

Assuming the original poster will eventually be going ahead with this project (which assumes the "for now" in the policy against such projects changes), I am surprised that nobody mentioned this thread.

You don't get much weirder a character than a sentient blueberry muffin, after all...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:03 AM   #49
Sutibu

How about releasing a generic app without any reference to any SJG stuff?

Just a 'generic pdf spreadsheet overlay app', which allows the user to use any pdf file and overlay text and numbers on it, and make links to other pdf files? This could be used for a multitude of purposes, including but not limited to, character sheets.
Sutibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #50
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutibu View Post
Just a 'generic pdf spreadsheet overlay app', which allows the user to use any pdf file and overlay text and numbers on it, and make links to other pdf files?
Is that actually more useful than a paper character sheet? It has lots of techno-cool, but using a pencil is faster for me than typing on the iPad screen keyboard.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps 4e, ios, ipad, iphone, ipod