Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 11-12-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
N0M1S

Default iPhone Level Counter

Hi Gamers! I need an official ruling here...
So we've been playing Munchkin at work and I recently purchased the iPhone level counter. In it, I am given the bonus of getting an in-game 'Boon' at any time. Everyone else insists that it's cheating because I "bought" an advantage. But my feeling is, if Steve Jackson Games made it for the game, then it's completely legal and I should be allowed to use it. It would be one thing if I was the only iPhone owner in the group but 60% (3 out of 5) have iPhones (the others are on Android). So... what say thee?
N0M1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
ComBAT

Default Re: iPhone Level Counter

One of our friends has an iPhone with the app as well. We ruled that everyone can use it one time in the game and they must roll a 5 or a 6 to obtain the Boon.

It really is unfair that a perk is exclusive to iPhone owners and one who simply wishes to spend the money on it. That's like me bringing an extra deck to a poker game and claiming that I get to draw one card from it to see if it helps me win a hand one time through out the game.
ComBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
Nerftw

You realize almost all Munchkin merchandise has rules that benefit the player who bought it?

It's not cheating, as they are official SJGames products, and those bonus rules are endorsed for official tournament play. If your group doesn't like it, then house rule it away. But it certainly is not cheating to be following official rules on the items.

But also keep Wheatons law in mind. If everyone else in the group objects, then agree not to use it. No sense making everyone mad over one in game bonus.
Nerftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
Eben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerftw View Post
You realize almost all Munchkin merchandise has rules that benefit the player who bought it?

It's not cheating, as they are official SJGames products, and those bonus rules are endorsed for official tournament play. If your group doesn't like it, then house rule it away. But it certainly is not cheating to be following official rules on the items.

But also keep Wheatons law in mind. If everyone else in the group objects, then agree not to use it. No sense making everyone mad over one in game bonus.

Once I've used my boon off of the app, I just pass my Ipod around the table until either everybody who wants to use it, has, or the game is over.
Eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
MunchkinMan

I'm sorry, but a lot of the Munchkin promo items and accessories offer some kind of legal and officially sanctioned in-game bonus. If someone goes through the effort of going where MIB are to get a bookmark, are they "cheating" because they use the bookmark? No. Cheating is a harsh, harsh word to be used for people intentionally breaking the rules. Cheating is not using an official promo or accessory. As has been said: If your group feels that having an occasional advantage is unfair, then don't allow the advantage, but don't call someone a cheater just because they went through the effort to get hold of a promo or accessory and want to use it.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
N0M1S

Wise words indeed. Thank you all for your opinions! I hope many more people will chime in to get a better consensus of how this would be handled in general. I particularly like the idea of letting all players play a boon with a successful roll of 5 or 6, though at that point it just seems to add a wrinkle to the game and really isn't the intended use of the modifier. Given the amount of time designing, illustrating and developing said advantages it seems to me that this was truly meant to be incorporated into the game and not just an 'easter egg' afterthought.
N0M1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0M1S View Post
Given the amount of time designing, illustrating and developing said advantages it seems to me that this was truly meant to be incorporated into the game and not just an 'easter egg' afterthought.
This is true. It's also true that we never intended to limit the Level Counter app to Apple products; the Android version got stalled by a number of factors, but is moving forward again. I'd hope to see it before the end of the year.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
mummi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
This is true. It's also true that we never intended to limit the Level Counter app to Apple products; the Android version got stalled by a number of factors, but is moving forward again. I'd hope to see it before the end of the year.
Is there any 3rd party android app out there? my phone is in the repair shop so I cant search the app store.
mummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:18 PM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummi View Post
Is there any 3rd party android app out there? my phone is in the repair shop so I cant search the app store.
No. We haven't licensed Munchkin to any third-party smartphone developers.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #10
evol

Is there a list of all Boons available?

I was about to construct one, but figured I should find out if there is one before I go out of my way.
evol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boon, cheating, iphone