Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-27-2018, 02:32 AM   #1
Rabek

Default Dependency/Maintenance for Rituals

So I am going to start play in a new GURPS game.

The GM of this game is letting me play as, what amounts to, a golem/construct. This is my first time building something so very non-human, and the GM is not providing templates. I have many obstacles to getting things how I want, but there is one in particular.

Golems in their setting run on magic, and that magic slowly drains. How mine, in particular, recharges that magic has been left up to me, as the setting allows for as many different methods as there are constructs.

I've decided on a ritual (destroying an effigy) that must be done in a certain environment (a junkyard) but does not have to be a specific place, as long as it meets the requirements (being a junkyard).

I've thought of using Dependency. I've thought of using Maintenance. I've thought of using Restricted Diet. None are quite perfect, though I'll probably use Dependency if nothing better comes up.

In short: How would you guys model a being that doesn't need to eat, but does need to perform a ritual in a certain environment once a week or slowly run out of power and die? As I'm not the GM, RAW would be preferred, without house rules.
Rabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:53 PM   #2
trechriron

Default Re: Dependency/Maintenance for Rituals

I would like to take a pitch at it, but I can't until I get home later.

First question - are you sure you want the junkyard restriction?

I feel like burning a sacrifice of goods or something daily would suffice. It would be like Upkeep. The junkyard restriction sounds horribly restrictive for your average adventurer.
My Blog
trechriron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:36 PM   #3
Rabek

Thank you very much for your response.

The junkyard was actually the important part for me. The GM just wanted me to do more than simply go there.

Most of the game should be taking part in a single city, so one should generally be within travel range.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:37 PM   #4
trechriron

After a little thought I came up with an alternative to Dependency. I wanted to focus on the fact that you have and deplete "mana" to fit within a magic world. You should ensure most of your (magic/cool) abilities have Costs Fatigue, to represent your depletion of internal mana reserves. I would also use lots of Extra Effort if making a physical combat character. Normally "machines" don't have Fatigue so this will ultimately be a potential hazard for you.

(Meta-Trait) Magic Golem: You are a Golem forged by magic with a mana fuel reserve. Doesn't Breathe [20]; Doesn't Eat or Drink [10]; Doesn't Sleep [20]; Golem Mana Fuel [18]; Injury Tolerance (No Blood; Unliving) [25]; Immunity to Metabolic Hazards [30]; Unhealing [-30]. 103 Points.

(Meta-Trait) Golem Mana Fuel: You do not possess traditional Fatigue. Instead you have special Fatigue that can only be recharged in specific circumstances. Extra Fatigue Points 20 (Special Recharge (Only With Regeneration - Fatigue Only) -70%) [18]; Reduced Fatigue Points -10 [-30]; Regeneration (Fast: 1FP/Min) (Fatigue Only +0%) (Accessibility (Only Works In Junkyards with Simple Ritual) -40%) [30]. 18 Points.

This means;
  • You must be repaired to heal.
  • You must locate a junkyard and perform a simple ritual to recover FP. Your FP DO NOT recover unless under these circumstances!
  • It takes 20 min to fully recharge your Fatigue.
  • You DO have 20 FP, so you won't seem too fragile.
  • You will still go "offline/unconscious" normally when reduced to 0 FP.
My Blog

Last edited by trechriron; 05-29-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:58 PM   #5
trechriron

Also, I believe it would be appropriate to add Restricted Diet (Mana Fuel) at -40 points. This would reduce the template to 63 points.

Each day you can't Regenerate FP, you will burn 3 FP. You are essentially "starving". The only way to recover is to find a Junkyard and perform your ritual (burning the effigy, speaking words of magic, etc.).

If you do this, I would NOT add "Costs Fatigue" to any powers/abilities you take. You would deplete your FP too fast. If you DO have magic or powers that cost fatigue, consider buying up the Mana Fuel higher (maybe 30 points?).
My Blog
Old 06-03-2018, 12:38 PM   #6
Rabek

That's actually a really clever way to handle it. I don't have any magic powers, beyond being fueled by it, so this should work very well.

Very much appreciated.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:33 PM   #7
trechriron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabek View Post

Very much appreciated.
My pleasure!
My Blog
Old 06-06-2018, 02:53 PM   #8
Pursuivant

Depending on the golem's nature and construction, Fragile (Unnatural) [-50 points] wouldn't be out of place, but it seriously messes with your ability to survive combat.

Dependency (Mana, Constantly) is appropriate if your character quickly "shuts down" if it encounters a No Mana Zone, rather than "starving."

For other ideas, check out Meta-Traits (p. 262 in the Basic Set). One of Body of Metal or Body of Stone, and the Automaton mentality meta-trait are very common for this sort of character.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chargen, raw