Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-19-2016, 04:34 PM   #41
Disliker of the mary sue

Default Re: Post Your Characters!

This was one of my experiments to try to make a character using gurps to experiment. My idea was a magical girl who was also a very rich bully archetype. I only got the rich bully part though just to figure out how much that would cost before putting in the magical girl powers. So far I thinking I need to get better at point budgeting since assuming budget of 250-300 I barely have enough points to put into magical powers

Lady Sanfriska Arcus
203 pts
female/teenager

9 str (-10)

11 dex (+20)

11 int (+20)

10 HT

Advantages

Beautiful (+12)

Fashion sense (+5)
Wealthy (+ 30)
independent income (+1)
Chrisma +3 (+15)
fit (+5)
Luck (+15)

Disads:

Stubborn (-5)
skinny (-5)
Bad temper (-10)
bully (-10)
intolerant ("losers") (-5?)
Pasifist (cannot kill) (-15)
Overconfident (-5)

skills
Savoir Faire +5 (+16)
Sex appeal + 5 (+20)
Persuade +4 (+20)
Captivate +5 (+24)
erotic arts +2 (+8)
Fast Talk +4 (+16)
Intimidate+3 (+12)
Leadership (+2)
Body Language+2(+8)
Carousing+3 (+8)
current affairs+3 (+8)
detect lies +1 (+8)
Disliker of the mary sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:14 PM   #42
zoncxs

Ice Mage made for a DF game.

250 Ice Mage
Attributes (110)
ST 11 [10]
DX 12 [40]
IQ 12 [40]
HT 12 [20]

Secondary Attributes (0)
HP 11 [0]
Will 12 [0]
Per 12 [0]
FP 12 [0]

Basic Lift 24
Damage: 1d-1/1d+1
Basic Speed 6.00
Basic Move 6

Ground Move 6
Water Move 1

Advantages:
Sorcerous Empowerment (Limited Ice) 9 [60]
Ice Sorcery Talent 4 [20]
Cold Snap 17 [10*]
Glacier Field 1 [5*]
Icy Weapon [3*]
Tundra Armor 1 [57**]
Hail sphere 1 [0*]
Icicle Spear 1 [0*]
Freeze Field 2 [0*]
Ice Sword [0*]

Disadvantages (-50)
Overconfidence (12) [-5]
Sense of Duty (Adventuring companions) [-5]
Trickster (12) [-15]
Skinny [-5]
Weirdness Magnet [-15]
Curious [-5*]

Primary Skills:
Innate Attack (Projectile) (E) DX+4 [12]
Brawling (E) DX+2 [4]
Broadsword (A) DX+2 [8]

Secondary Skills:
Hidden Lore (any magical) (A) IQ [2]
Thaumatology (VH) IQ-2 [2]

Background Skills:
Climbing (A) DX-1 [1]
Stealth (A) DX-1 [1]
First Aid, (E) IQ [1]
Gesture, (E) IQ [1]
Diplomacy (H) IQ-2 [1]
Hiking (A) HT-1 [1]
Search (A) Per-1 [1]

Last edited by zoncxs; 09-24-2016 at 12:47 AM.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:03 PM   #43
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disliker of the mary sue View Post
This was one of my experiments to try to make a character using gurps to experiment. My idea was a magical girl who was also a very rich bully archetype. I only got the rich bully part though just to figure out how much that would cost before putting in the magical girl powers. So far I thinking I need to get better at point budgeting since assuming budget of 250-300 I barely have enough points to put into magical powers
Some thoughts

You paid 10 points too many for Wealthy unless you meant Very Wealthy. On that note, I'd consider dropping wealth down to Average, and buying Status and Patron (Parent). I'd also add Social Stigma (Minor), unless she was at the age of majority.

You forgot to include the +4 from appearance in Sex Appeal. Leadership gets a +3 from Charisma. Detect Lies defaults from Body Language, saving you 1 point.

On the enthrallment skills, you're missing the prereq for Captivate, Suggest. Assuming you're basing them on Sex Appeal, Captivate is also going over the skill limit, as it cannot be higher than the base skill (See B191). I would remove them entirely from the character; they are very expensive and meant as alternatives to magic or psionics.

Assuming you keep the relative skill levels the same, the corrections here and the removal of the enthrallment skills gives a point cost of 146. I'd probably drop all of the skill levels by 1, lots of the skills are at a level where she could find a job doing these things, which seems unrealistic for a teen. I'd also cut Current Affairs down to a point and put it into various hobby/everyman skills (Driving, Other Current Affairs, Computer Ops, Artist, etc.) Either way, you should have plenty of breathing room to add magic with this base.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:21 PM   #44
Kalzazz

Whoa!

You should seriously look into Talents or raising Stats . . . . all those many many many points on the various skills!
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:38 PM   #45
MadCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Some of my chars in this thread have been conversions from SWd20 and Pathfinder, so I would say it's permissible. The only real issues would be stuff like conversions from companies that expressly do not want conversions made (like Palladium/Rifts).

Some investigation into the other company's policies about such things is probably a good idea. Mind, going with "something similar to X" instead of "a direct conversion of X" is probably a better bet. YMMV, though.
Thanks Phantasm!
MadCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:00 PM   #46
WaterAndWindSpirit

"Ageless eldritch horrors are surprisingly vulnerable to a trusty M249 SAW. Oh, well, anyone wanna go for some energy drink and some Chinese take out after a shower to get all the blood off us and a change of clothes?"

(Note: This character is inspired by my 1st XCOM 2 Grenadier ever, nationality and name come directly from random soldier generation, and several of her behaviors come directly from the way I use Grenadiers on the tactical layer, so if you think my character reflects poorly of Brazilian people, blame the XCOM 2 RNG, not me.)

Yolanda "Pitbull" Hernandez (200 points)

In a world filled with wizards, vampires, werewolves, and so on, one can accomplish a surprising amount with no special powers and only good old fashioned military training. Yolanda "Pitbull" Hernandez proves it. Born in the favela of a small Brazilian town, in the middle of warring drug lords and human trafficking, she wanted nothing more than to escape her lot in life. She was gifted with smarts, strength, stamina and agility, but lacking in actual education. She saved up enough to pay a US citizen for a phony marriage to get a green card before joining the US army. It turns out she was a natural, and she ended up becoming a US citizen. She was also nicknamed "Pitbull" for her incredible brutality in hand to hand combat. She was trained in an array of talent including the M249 SAW and explosives, quickly becoming well liked by her squad. She ended up being critically injured by a child suicide bomber and the assault the followed, which included a lot of child soldiers, but her tenacity allowed her to keep firing, saving her squad at the cost of acquiring quite a few scars, including on her face and on her mind (she did not take having to gun down children well). She was then honorably discharged, but by then she was already a US citizen. She ended up without a regular job, and with nightmares. A chance meeting with one of the children from her favela running from a sweatshop lead her to start a career as a vigilante, hunting down human traffickers and getting quite a high body count, her impression of the Joker laughing along with her machine gun the last thing many crime lords and common muscle alike ever heard. She learned how to deal with the criminal element, learning rumors and information from questionable elements as well as where to sell what she could get from the bodies of those she killed (jewelry, electronics and so on) so she could keep herself afloat. Her lifestyle meant that she prefers to keep her wits with her, leaving her to have sworn off alcohol and drugs, even though she's a sucker for energy drinks. It was during one of her vigilante rampages that she had killed a human trafficker that just so happened to also be a vampire, leading her to meet with organizations that dealt with the paranormal on a daily basis and being recruited by one. She deals with paranormal threats the way she knows best: Through trickery, traps, explosives and heavy weapons, and keeps hunting down human traffickers in her spare time, though they have started hunting her as well in return.

ST 12
DX 12
IQ 13
HT 12

Advantages:

Luck
Combat Reflexes
Photographic Memory.

Disadvantages:
Mundane Background (She just got introduced to the paranormal elements, and has no supernatural ability whatsoever.)
Secret: Vigilante (while the cops admittedly do like her work, they can't officially sanction it and should thy gain enough evidence on her she'd have to go on the run.)
Enemies: Crime Syndicates (They'd love to capture her, torture her, break her, then kill her after all the damage she has done to their human trafficking business).
Sense of Duty: Friends
Nightmares
Severe Insomnia
Compulsive Generosity: Veterans' aid.

Quirks:
Preferred tactics: superior firepower.
Evil laugh when firing heavy weapons.
Sucker for energy drinks
Scars
Dislikes drugs an alcohol.

Skills:

Karate 14
Knife 14
LMG 14
Explosives: Demolitions 15
Traps 15
Holdout 15
Stealth 15
Stealth 14
Tactics 15
Soldier 12
Streetwise 15
Wrestling 14
Climbing 14
Intelligence Analysis 15
Interrogation 15
Intimidation 15
Survival (Desert) 13
Swimming 12
Fast Talk 13
Diplomacy 13

Equipment: a small apartment, a small knife, a small concealed pistol with concealed carry holster, an M249 SAW and a specialized case to carry it.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:44 PM   #47
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.

Oleg Taktarov
TL: 3^ due to magic and imports from more advanced races
Setting: www.primordio.com.br
Genre: Dungeon Fantasy
Height: 6’ 5’’
Weight: 240 lbs
Eyes: Right eye is bright blue while left eye is scarred by a poisoned dagger, resulting in a bloody eye.
There is a scar in the shape of a vertical slice over the left eye.
Hair: Blonde, but he mostly keeps it bald
Skin: Caucasian
Items: Medium plate in the torso, hands and feet. Light plate in the arms and legs, heavy plate helm in the head. When appropriate, Winter clothing and a Parka. Always carries several weapons. Including a baton (used to be a staff but broke), large scutum, greatsword, longsword, crossbow, hatchet, shovel and pick. Also has a climbing kit, and plenty of vodka and food for days in his backpack.

Bio:
Oleg is the second son of Vladmir, head of one of the most important families in the forsaken icy kingdom of the blue continent (the equivalent of an arctic continent). His father oversees one of the biggest iron mining operations in the realm and is a very important and powerful man. His eldest brother, Alexander likes the family business and is very heir apparent. Oleg OTOH is a tactless brute who disappoints his father since his birth, which caused the death of his mother.

When the king requested all higher nobles to send one son to serve at the kings court as a knight, Vladmir chose to send Oleg. He got there very young and was sent along with the other young nobles into a elite training regimen under the best teachers money could buy, for this is a very violent land. Despite his elite training, Oleg was a mediocre soldier, and ill suited to the tasks involving life at court, most of his duties were as a glorified bodyguard. In his offtime, he and some friends pursued some rumors about a mysterious figure stealing corpses from the graveyard and engaged in a melle with a strange old man that stabbed Oleg in the eye. Were it not for his friends he might have died, alas they drove the elder man away and took Oleg to the king’s mage, where he was tended properly and managed to retain his eye, despite the scar. He discovered that the thing they fought against was a human servant of vampires which forever made their threat very clear to Oleg. Overtime he became good friends with the mage’s apprentice and absorbed a lot of knowledge from him, even learning the elven language.

After the training was completed, the more local knights were retained to become the king’s bodyguards and the ones from more distant places were sent back home as bannerman who should be ready to be called in case the king needs it, as well as advancing the kings agenda (such as protecting the land, expanding the borders, fortifying towns, training local militias, etc).
Oleg due to his experiences with vampires felt they were the biggest threat and dedicated a big part of his time into convincing his father of it. One day wandering the town after dark he saw a mysterious figure, ambushed it and killed it. Sadly it was an innocent man (well, he was guilty of something, according to Oleg’s father), who was working for Oleg’s elder brother. The whole thing turned into a family drama, and eventually Oleg’s father suggested him that he might better serve the king as a Knight errand, away from his lands.

And so Oleg’s journey began.

345 CPs

HP 26 [12]
Arms ST+2 [10]
Striking ST+2 [10]
ST 20 [100]
DX 10
IQ 10
HT 14 [40]
Per 10
Will 15 [25]

Combat Reflexes [15]
High Pain Threshold [10]
Weapon Master [30] (Greatsword, Staff, Longsword and Shield)
Luck [15]
Patron [10] (the 20 pts one, x1/2 cost 6 or less)
Extra Attack [25] (Multi-attack +20%, Sword Skills only -20%)
Enhanced Parry (greatsword) [5]
DR 1 [5] (human racial maximum)
status 1 [5]

Disadvantages
Duty (The King) -10 (its complicated, but id venture to say it’s a hazardous duty with low chance)
Sense of duty (Commrades) -5
Obsession (Killing vampires) -10
Code of Honor (Soldier’s) -10
Xenophile -5

Quirks
Sympathizes with big time thiefs
Sings when drinking
Paranoia (vampires)
Smokes the shamanistic herbs
Doesn’t like standing still

Perks
Weapon Bond (greatsword)
Wpn bond (staff)
Shield wall training
Controllable disad (callous)
Controllable disad (easy to read)
Penetrating voice
Your next! (follow thro free intimidation after killing x opponents vs x guys)
Fearsome stare
Sure-footed ice and snow
Power Grappling
Pet (Kakadu, ferret)
Grip Mastery Greatsword)

Skills – pts invested

Brawling 1
Shield 8
Two-Handed Sword 16
Fast-Draw (Greatsword) 2
Tactics 1
Survival (arctic) 1
Area Knowledge 0 (standard IQ roll for home county)
Swimming 1
Crossbow 1
Ocultism 1
Savoir-faire (high society) 1
Soldier 1
Intimidation 8 (with all bonuses I can get up to 19 without accounting for shows of strength)
Carousing 1
Theology (Bahamut) 1
Wrestling 1
Climbing 1

Techniques
We use a house rule where anyone can attempt a sacrificial parry at -9 to parry, and buy that up as a hard technique up to no penalty for 10 pts. I did just that.
sacrificial parry 10

We also allow players to buy up the penalty for using 1h weapons with 2h skills as a hard technique. I spent 5 points to be able to use 1h swords with the same skill I have for 2h swords without a penalty.
One hand adaptation 5

Last edited by D10; 10-24-2017 at 10:03 AM.
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:53 AM   #48
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

wow, that's not a build I've seen before.

Fantastically high ST and HP -- well outside of human range, coupled with HT 14. But his DX is 10. I don't see that often. With this character it might just work.

His sword skill is pretty low for a 350 point character: just 14. If the martial arts book is available I'd preface attacks against well defended foes with beats.

His parry isn't terrible, considering his skill: 12. He's going to take a fair number of hits, but he'll live. High pain threshold is key to this build.

And of course, the damage dealt is very high. 4d+13 cu averages to about 26 points of damage.

Its something of a simple build, and very combat focused. He feels like a warrior, not a person. But that weirdly feels like a stylistic decision intentionally done. It also doesn't feel min-maxed, despite the fact that tons of points are thrown into doing two things very very well.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:48 AM   #49
quarkstomper

These are a few that I posted a while back on the GURPS Repository site. They're rough in places, but I like the characters.

Mimsey Grant -- An amateur occultist and wizard-in-training for a contemporary supernatural/monster-hunting campaign

Major John Jeroboam Hunter -- A clockwork cyborg inspired by an Edgar Allan Poe story, for a steampunk campaign

Mitch "The Weasel" Weisel -- Originally created for an online game here on these boards; a low-level crook who took a job as test subject for a mad scientist and now looks like a ferret; for a pulp-era campaign.

Fenton Blake (Code Name: Flywheel) -- A nerdy gadgeteer for a secret spy agency in a '60s era espionage campaign.

Bonnie Baker ("Stinger") -- A teen sidekick to a super-hero named Avenger Bee, for a supers campaign
Old 10-24-2017, 09:03 AM   #50
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
wow, that's not a build I've seen before.

Fantastically high ST and HP -- well outside of human range, coupled with HT 14. But his DX is 10. I don't see that often. With this character it might just work.

His sword skill is pretty low for a 350 point character: just 14. If the martial arts book is available I'd preface attacks against well defended foes with beats.

His parry isn't terrible, considering his skill: 12. He's going to take a fair number of hits, but he'll live. High pain threshold is key to this build.

And of course, the damage dealt is very high. 4d+13 cu averages to about 26 points of damage.

Its something of a simple build, and very combat focused. He feels like a warrior, not a person. But that weirdly feels like a stylistic decision intentionally done. It also doesn't feel min-maxed, despite the fact that tons of points are thrown into doing two things very very well.
Indeed, also to consider, my two main weapons (the baton and the greatsword) are both balanced and have weapon bond, so effective skill is often 16

I started at 250 pts, with less ST, and focused on that so I could use the greatsword in one hand. I has been fun to play thus far. And with the large shield, I can get my parry up to 16. Also, the 2h parry for the greatsword is 13, I think you didnt count the enhanced parry. And we use MA options and feverish defenses.

Also, forgot to add, but I have a point in climbing, and I began with a -5 points curiosity which I just bought off after my GF's PC (which is my cousin in the game, a noble sorceress) read the necronomicon and became bound to it, fated to either read it and slowly get insane or not reading it and dying. Also forgot to add status 1 [5] it seems

The best part, is being able to carry tons of stuff. In serious combat I can have all my armor, shield and the two main weapons, and still be on no encumbrance. I still cant invest more points than 16 in a skill until due to arbitrary campaign cap that should be unlocked at some point to 28 pts, then later the final cap at 40 pts.

Meanwhile I intend to improve my survivability by buying up HP (we can buy 50% of ST in extra HP, so I can get to 30). And maybe buy fit, extra movement (im allowed up to +3), feint, and maybe some dual-weapon attack technique for shield and sword

Last edited by D10; 10-24-2017 at 12:05 PM.
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character building, character generation, chargen