Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 06-04-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
Dreamer

Default Monster Levels Too Low

I just recently started playing munchkin regularly with friend and we noticed that we could easily beat monsters at the end of the game or get away from bad effects if we couldn't. My question is are there any packs that have monsters higher than level 20 and what you guys do to make the game harder? Thanks in advance!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
NOLAman

Default Re: Monster Levels Too Low

You could always pick up monster enhancers, tons of cards to make monsters stonger.
NOLAman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:29 AM   #3
morleydotes
Moderator Emeritus

Blend the base sets or add more expansions. The more cards you have to mess with folks, the harder it is to win. OR play Epic Rules. They do make it tougher.

Pat
morleydotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by morleydotes View Post
Blend the base sets or add more expansions. The more cards you have to mess with folks, the harder it is to win. OR play Epic Rules. They do make it tougher.

Pat
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when setting up a game next week.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
. . . what you guys do to make the game harder?
What I do is play nasty from turn one. If you start the game brutal it usually turns into some backstabbing action pretty fast. Be ruthless, mean, and take every opportunity you get to screw over anyone else no matter who they are.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
bondace007

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
What I do is play nasty from turn one. If you start the game brutal it usually turns into some backstabbing action pretty fast. Be ruthless, mean, and take every opportunity you get to screw over anyone else no matter who they are.
That is how I like to play my Munchkin games
bondace007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
StormyWaters

Quote:
This. I know a lot of people that play the game with the mentality of "Oh they're only level 4, let them kill it". It's way easier to stop people early than to try stopping them when they've built up steam.

A +5 Monster Enhancer hurts a lot more against a level 1 than a level 9.

Play mean, play hard, play to win.

Cthulhu: 1, 2, 3.

Munchkin Homebrew!

Illuminati: Deluxe, BFD, Y2K, MAD, Brainwash
StormyWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #8
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Although I might not go so far as to recommend a maximally aggressive strategy from the very start (if you're playing all your cards to keep your opponents from getting levels, you're not playing them go get them for yourself), it is nevertheless the case that for most of the game, you should be fighting the other players as much as the monsters. Which means that the monster level is just one component of a fight, and it's often a relatively small one. If the people you play with can smack around high-level monsters without trouble, they're not smacking each other around enough.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #9
morleydotes
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
In my home group, yes... At a convention, where I have to teach folks, I follow the Hackard Munchkin Theory of gaming.

I play against some of the best Munchkin players about and that is indeed how they play, low down, dirty, backstabbing Munchkins. From turn one, it's on! With the addition of Munchkinomicon, curses and traps have taken on a new meaning.

Sparkly Good Fairy damn near ruined the game for a bit. Everyone was being NICE to get the cards. Now it pays twice as much to be a curse monger...

Pat
morleydotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #10
Dreamer

I tried playing dirty from turn one and it was an amazing improvement. Not only did the people I was playing with respond by backstabbing everyone but I found that I actually had to try to get away from monsters much more often.