Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Scenarios

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 04:12 PM   #1
Jen

Default Last but not least!

This week's scenario, Holiday, wraps up all the winners of our Scenario Contest!

We'll keep this thread open until October 25 for commentary, so let us know what you think!

The thread for Scenario #8- The Dragon of Madgeberg closes on September 7, so we've got a bit more time for commentary.

We're reading it all and appreciate all your feedback!

Jen
Old 08-28-2015, 02:31 AM   #2
sgbeal

Default Re: Last but not least!

"Map G1 north and Map S2 North to his right"

==> inappropriate gender pronoun "his"

"As soon as a squad of infantry reaches it, ending movement for the rest of the turn, it is activated and can operate."

It is not 100% clear to me whether Dora (resp. Gustav) can fire/move on the turn in which the INF reach it, or not until the following turn. Once INF stop, they end _their_ movement, but the HWZ moves in the 2nd phase. This, in turn leads to confusion here:

"After activation, the squad can leave the Howitzer to its fully automated operation and go defend elsewhere . . ."

Is that on the turn after they reach Dora or the one after that?

"The railroad Howitzer, Dora, is worth 12 points, and Gustav is worth 18 VP."

Because Gustav is not introduced until later (leading to the reader asking himself "who's Gustav?"), and because the "18 VP" is unnecessarily repeated/duplicated here, i recommend removing this reference to Gustav:

"The railroad Howitzer, Dora, is worth 12 points."

When Gustav is introduced in the variants section, it is not 100% clear to me whether Gustav _replaces_ or _supplements_ Dora (are they a couple?). "The Howitzer is a monster..." implies that Gustav replaces Dora, but i'd like to see that be more explicit.

i love the story and the use of named units.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:02 AM   #3
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
(EDITOR'S NOTE: Having been dismounted in snow, I disagree with INF being the only ones NOT affected by heavy snow.)
Hah. Having been literally buried alive by a snowplow, I would tend to agree.

However...

We aren't talking about normal people, we are talking about INF; the only unit in the game who's movement is unaffected by pretty much everything on the map. Swamp, for example, is probably a close analog to snow. I don't have a problem with this. If anything, my objection is that GEVs are negatively affected. I would think a heavy blanket of snow would be the same as being on water and actually benefit GEVs.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:11 PM   #4
ianargent

These are jumpjet infantry in the fiction, and mechanically, they aren't affected by any other terrain, either.

If you want a "story" reason for why GEVs are affected, they compact the snow under them, but have to vector their lift fans forward to blow a path ahead, otherwise they nose into the snow ahead and bog down.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #5
Jen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbeal View Post

Good catch! Thank you, I'll fix that.

I really enjoyed the named units, too.

Jen
Old 09-03-2015, 11:19 AM   #6
Mack_JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I really enjoyed the named units, too.
Taken from history, too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwerer_Gustav
Old 09-03-2015, 01:13 PM   #7
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbeal View Post
Quote:
Good catch! Thank you, I'll fix that.
BTW, fixing should be to use appropriate direction designation instead of right/left:
Maps G1N and S2N; place S2N to the East of G1N
Old 10-02-2015, 12:31 PM   #8
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
This week's scenario, Holiday, wraps up all the winners of our Scenario Contest!

We'll keep this thread open until October 25 for commentary, so let us know what you think!

The thread for Scenario #8- The Dragon of Madgeberg closes on September 7, so we've got a bit more time for commentary.

We're reading it all and appreciate all your feedback!

Jen
Hi Jen,

What's your timetable for the full pdf including all the scenarios? And after that is anything new an interesting on the horizon for Ogre?
Old 10-17-2015, 06:42 PM   #9
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Playtest results. Attacker had 6 GEVs and 6 HVYs

Attacker had a +28 (Marginal attacker victory).

It was over in 8 turns, and played very easily. Most of the town hexes on the west half were wiped out, but nothing on the east half was lost. The north-central area is a real chokepoint for land-based units and it was a real battle. I tried to slip the GEVs through the south, but it was harder than expected to navigate the eastern corridor.

The attacker would have done a little better if I took time to rut the roads and rails as I moved across to slow the reinforcements down, especially through the forest.

Feels pretty balanced and is simple to set up (and doesn't take a football field to play). The relatively small number of units on the board also make it easy to keep track of things. It's reminiscent of Raid on a different layout.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:01 AM   #10
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

In the snow variant, the GEV movement reduction is odd/incomplete:

Quote:
GEVs have their movement reduced by half, that is 3/2 instead of 4/3.
3/2 is not half of 4/3, and it also doesn't cover what happens to GEV-PCs that are already 3/2. I think the details should be changed from:
All units except infantry have their movement reduced by 1 movement point each turn. GEVs have their movement reduced by half, that is 3/2 instead of 4/3.
to:
All units except infantry have their movement reduced by 1 movement point each movement phase. Note that means GEVs have their movement reduced twice (e.g, 4/3 becomes 3/2).
Closed Thread