Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 05-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
BTRC

Default [New release] EABA v2 augmented pdf

(self-serving blurb from the publisher...)
EABA v2 is a technological and to some extent conceptual evolution of the first edition of EABA (or EABA v1). EABA is the self-mocking acronym for the End All Be All role-playing system, a universal system designed to work with any genre, level of realism or gamemaster style. BTRC has been at the bleeding edge of pdf development, with our first pdf gaming products actually predating the advent of places to sell them. EABA v2 continues the tradition, in that it is designed from the start to be a tablet-friendly game, but it is also equally at home on the desktop, laptop or in print-it-yourself form. In its most sophisticated form, the pdf has:

• pop-up navigation menus

• fully hyperlinked

• built-in dice roller

• semi-automated character sheets

• ability to import pictures directly into character sheet

• on-screen mapping

• one-click character creation

• savable changes so you can have your own library of custom characters, NPC's, vehicles, maps and so on.

And all this is in the pdf, so you do not need anything other than a pdf app capable of implementing it. At the moment, the best choices are Acrobat Reader (desktop), PDF Expert (iOS) and qPDF Notes (Android). A free quickstart version with all the advanced features can be downloaded from here, and there is a YouTube video of the interface here. It is, of course, available at e23...

(end blurb)

If you do download the quickstart and have any questions, you might find the answers over on the BTRC forum, but if you want to ask here, I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Last edited by BTRC; 05-24-2013 at 06:57 AM. Reason: added e23 product link
BTRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: [New release] EABA v2 augmented pdf

Having a quick tinker ... Sumatra PDF doesn't handle the JavaScript. Trying it in Acrobat Reader 10.1.7, the dice roller works, but it isn't obvious how to get rid of it without re-rolling if you select it by accident.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:23 AM   #3
BTRC

On a desktop, you really need to use Acrobat Reader to get the full features. You can get rid of the dice by clicking the "clear all" button. There is also a hidden button to the left of the die icon, and it rolls a straight 3d6. Tapping the word "Result" rerolls the last die selection from the menu.

My house got hit by lightning last night and I am replying via a jury-rigged connection, so bear with me if I am mostly off-line for a day or so as I get this taken care of.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:14 AM   #4
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTRC View Post
If you do download the quickstart and have any questions, you might find the answers over on the BTRC forum, but if you want to ask here, I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Does the quickstart demonstrate some or all of these cool functionalities?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:16 AM   #5
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Does the quickstart demonstrate some or all of these cool functionalities?
Yes. That's what I was using.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:24 AM   #6
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTRC View Post
On a desktop, you really need to use Acrobat Reader to get the full features.
I am.
Quote:
You can get rid of the dice by clicking the "clear all" button. There is also a hidden button to the left of the die icon, and it rolls a straight 3d6. Tapping the word "Result" rerolls the last die selection from the menu.
Those are good, but there isn't a way out of having clicked the dice icon by mistake without loosing the current result.
Quote:
My house got hit by lightning last night and I am replying via a jury-rigged connection, so bear with me if I am mostly off-line for a day or so as I get this taken care of.
I hope this is reasonably straightforward!
Old 05-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
BTRC

Quote:
I hope this is reasonably straightforward!
Better than last year, anyway. When that happened I was up to my elbows in MOSFET's for a week after the main inverter blew. What happened this time was a nearby strike vaporized a few of the copper phone wires going into the house and fritzed the DSL filter. That just got fixed, so everything is happy now. Got other things to catch up on, but if there are any new questions I'll get to them in the morning.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

You should have a more obvious link to e23's page of EABA 2.

*Sigh* I should some time take a closer look at this system. Wonder if it would handle Transhuman Space templates better than GURPS. (This is more idle curiosity than actual intent.)
Old 05-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Okay, I finally skimmed the quickstart.

I'm quite worried about the 'keep 3 dice, and optionally convert one into +2', since it seems to make higher difficulties not reachable with even significant roll levels. E.g. a difficulty of 21 can be beaten automagically with a 42 dice, but with 41 die, it turns into trade one for +2, roll 40, keep three sixes, and still only reach 20.

GURPS is sometimes criticized for breaking down at high skill levels, but EABA seems to make difficulties above 20 outright unbeatable.

(Also, I'm a Sumatra user too. Hope I don't miss any essential comment boxes or the like.)
Old 05-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #10
BTRC

Don't know how well it would do THS. EABA v1 had a nanotech post-Ruin supplement called Age of Ruin, but I have not converted that over to the EABA v2 powers system. I am in the early stages of a different nanotech-postsingularity supplement called Grep, which is thus far working out under v2 rules.

Tags
btrc, eaba v2, greg porter