Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 03-06-2013, 03:00 AM   #1
unknown

Default Questions about back stabbing

Hello all,

I had some questions about back - stabbing tricks.

1. Can you ask for help against a monster and then flee, even if you are able to fight the monster (and win)? In some cases bad stuff isn't that bad for you as it is for your helper.

2. Can you threaten someone with curses. Like trade this napalm staff for this stupid potion or else!

A not back-stabbing rule how do you devide treasures to helper?

1. do you have to lay down the treasures on table when someone helped you and treasures need to be shared?
2. can you claim first pick as a helper?

Or is it so that the one who's turn it is got to choose always?

Finally, can you break promises without breaking official rules:

Like sure i give you three treasures and then just dont give anyhing.

I play Munchkin often with a bunch of students and we are all not shy for a bit of back stabbing that's why i want some rules to be clear:p
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
Bampop

Default Re: Questions about back stabbing

1) No. You may not run away if you are winning. But you may play cards to help the Monster at that point.

2) Sure can.

3) When you have a helper, all Treasures are drawn face up for the whole table to see. They are then distributed as per whatever agreement was reached.

4) You can ask for first pick, but negotiating the terms of helping is between the helper and the main combatant. "I'll help for first and third pick." "No. How about second and third pick?" We even sometimes draw blindly and then turn them over.

5) Any deals made to divide the Treasures from an actual combat are binding. You must adhere to them. If I offer to help in exchange for you helping me later, or for you playing a Go Up a Level card on me later, you could back out of that, but it isn't sportsmanlike, and I probably wouldn't help you again.
MiB #3282, Palm Bay, FL
Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Burn in Hell!, Revolution!, Castellan, Chez Geek, OGRE DE, Chupacabra, Nanuk
mib3282@gmail.com
Bampop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bampop View Post

3) When you have a helper, all Treasures are drawn face up for the whole table to see. They are then distributed as per whatever agreement was reached.
well, there's one we've been doing wrong at my house.
Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
unknown

I know breaking promisis isn't sportmanlike, in real world i wouldn't do it. It can however bring an element of balancing between helping and not. Because you lose trust and therefor get negativity later. But on short term you gain an advantage.

I do understand that Munchkin probably isn't fun with betraying each other cause as soon as you do it, everyone starts doing it and no-one is helping each other anymore.

There are other games like Risk were betrayel can be effective and fun to win the game. However only when friends understand and like this type of play in general:p
Old 03-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
1. Can you ask for help against a monster and then flee, even if you are able to fight the monster (and win)? In some cases bad stuff isn't that bad for you as it is for your helper.
To elaborate on something Bampop overlooked: you cannot even ask for help if you're winning the combat, much less Run Away.

Which led to one of the munchkinliest plays I've ever seen: a player who was barely beating a monster played a one-shot to help the monster, played Help Me Out Here to steal the Kneepads of Allure from another player, and then forced that same player to help him kill the now grossly overmatched monster. Needless to say, he paid for that effrontery later.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
To elaborate on something Bampop overlooked: you cannot even ask for help if you're winning the combat, much less Run Away.

Which led to one of the munchkinliest plays I've ever seen: a player who was barely beating a monster played a one-shot to help the monster, played Help Me Out Here to steal the Kneepads of Allure from another player, and then forced that same player to help him kill the now grossly overmatched monster. Needless to say, he paid for that effrontery later.
Haha nice, thank you for the elaboration.