Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
Mateus

Default Crossbows Reloading Times

Ok... I am almost quitting in understand how crossbows function in GURPS terms. Excluding mechanical aids (goat's foot, windlass, etc), how do I know how much time (ready actions) a given crossbow takes to reload? As Low-Tech gives different times of reloading to diferent crossbows, how do I know how much time it will take to reload a crossbow with a higher ST than the character have or how much time the aid of one foot or two feet can give?

Edit: Basic Set 410 says that it takes 2 seconds to cock (with only two hands and no other body part help I suppose) a crossbow with your ST or less; 6 seconds to cock a 1 or 2 greter ST (but LT talks about percentages) and that you need a goat foot load a 3 or 4 higher ST (fixed time in 20 seconds).

Last edited by Mateus; 07-20-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Mateus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: Crossbows Reloading Times

Lowtech gives reloading times based on users ST vs crossbows ST depending on the mechanical aid used. I haven't found anything based on the *model* of crossbow, can you give me a page reference? I missed that ;)

I'm not sure what you mean by one foot or two feet cuts?
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
Mateus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Lowtech gives reloading times based on users ST vs crossbows ST depending on the mechanical aid used. I haven't found anything based on the *model* of crossbow, can you give me a page reference? I missed that ;)

I'm not sure what you mean by one foot or two feet cuts?
On the table on page 76 in the shhots colum. Diferent numbers for diferent crossbows. A Military Crossbow takes 32 ready manouvers, a Gastraphetes 8, etc. About the part that you did not understand was my fault (bad english), I will edit the post to make it clear.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
On the table on page 76 in the shhots colum. Diferent numbers for diferent crossbows. A Military Crossbow takes 32 ready manouvers, a Gastraphetes 8, etc. About the part that you did not understand was my fault (bad english), I will edit the post to make it clear.
The bottom four crossbow entries are Steel crossbows, needing massive ST to reload and thus mandating the use of cranequins (see note 6). The time listed is with that mechanical aid.

The Gastraphetes is a special case, an early (and very large) crossbow that was fired by bracing against the belly, rather than from the shoulder. Presumably it is more cumbersome to reload and get into position, hence the doubled loading time.

The other "discrepancies" on the table (Repeating Crossbow, Slurbow) are bows that either have a "magazine", or fire multiple projectiles at once. As such, much more of the loading time is spent loading individual bolts, rather than the process of cocking the bow. I think if you were loading an over-ST Slurbow, the extra time to use a Goat's Foot or Cranequin would be added on to the end of the cycle.

Last edited by vierasmarius; 07-21-2011 at 12:12 AM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote