Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 07-26-2007, 12:48 AM   #1
tHEhERETIC

Default Anyone fluent in French?

I've just babelfished my way through a document I've written for my IN LARP in September. I studied enough French in school to catch the obvious errors, but I would like a native speaker to critique what I've written. It's a character's diary (even though he calls it a Captain's Log) and makes references to IN type things.

I'm sure the players would forgive bad French, but I'd rather have it beautiful.

Captain's Log of a hellsworm
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:19 PM   #2
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Default Re: Anyone fluent in French?

I've run this past a friend, who has been known to translate the French In Nomine Satanis/Magna Veritas for me, and her comment is that, well, it's Babelfish. She'd suggest handing it over in English and saying, "This is a translation of the French."

Assuming, that is, that the prospective players are English-readers.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:35 PM   #3
alduc

As a native French-speaker, I agree. It would be easier to do a proper French translation from the English original than from babelspeak.
alduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:18 PM   #4
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by alduc
As a native French-speaker, I agree. It would be easier to do a proper French translation from the English original than from babelspeak.

Thank you both. The (original) English is below the babel. If you want to take a crack at it, I'll definitely give you credit. It's a game prop, but if the game goes well I don't mind sharing the whole game with other GM's.

Fact is, the odds of any of the American players actually knowing enough French to tell the difference are extremely low. Unless "Night Boat" gets published/shared it's really just about me being an artiste.
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meta