Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-17-2019, 12:42 PM   #1
Ser Biffy Clegane

Default RPM Gate and Specific Definition Questions

I'm putting together a grimoire for a gate spell that allows travel through distance and/or planes and was curious about people's thoughts.

1) Under "Specific Definition," it looks like I need to include "Speed" if I want to be open gates that cover distance, and "area of effect" if I want the ability to open a gate larger than the 2 yard radius you get for 0 points. At that point, any gate spell I cast with the grimoire would need to include at least 1 point for speed and 2 for AoE (before the multiplier), even if that particular gate didn't need one or both of those components. Does that sound right?

(That is, I assume you can't just say "this spell has an AoE under 4 yard, so it has an AoE component but the cost is zero," because that would moot the requirement of including AoE in the ritual in the first place.)

2) On a related note, most cosmologies are going to require some kind of point to point mapping of planes, and to rule that a planar transport without a physical range and speed component only takes you to the corresponding point, or else you could get unlimited transport by jumping planes, opening a new gate on the other side and coming back to the same plane but a different location. Again, sound right?

Thanks!
Ser Biffy Clegane is offline   Reply With Quote