Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 07-17-2006, 08:08 AM   #1
SML '06

Default Direct to Video Sequel

During a six-player game of Epic Munchkin, an epic dwarven bard (I'll leave it up to you to imagine how many cards he was holding in his hand) kicked open his doors to encounter Kali. The rest of us chipped in with backstabs, monster enhancers, etc. to try to kill him so we could loot the body. He was eventually able (not without some difficulty) to defeat the monster, and was reaching for the loot pile when one of the people at the table played the Direct to Video Sequel card.

The card says something like: the players that survive the combat have to face the original monster with all enhancers. The bard was arguing that since he survived one combat, he was entitled to draw the treasure cards before facing Kali (again) in the sequel. The rest of us respectfully submitted that the sequel popped the monster(s) back into existence in front of the pile of treasure, and he would have to wade his way through if he wanted loot. Eventually, I (since I wasn't the one picking up something like nine treasure cards) invoked the 'owner of the game' clause and told him he wasn't getting anything until he finished the sequel.

Was this the right interpretation? Should he have been able to draw treasure cards after the first round, and then fight in the sequel? Should a player also get a second round of looting for successfully finishing the sequel?
SML '06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:38 AM   #2
BIGsheep

Default Re: Direct to Video Sequel

It's obviously all down to interpretation but I think the spirit is that you have to react to a card as soon as it's played. So in this case it was played before he picked up the treasure and so he should fight the monster before receiving the booty.

I mean, if you were cursed with the card that says the monster was broke and had no treasure you wouldn't pick the treasure up and then tackle the card.
BIGsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:13 AM   #3
tempeststudios

As the lowly Orc, and designated "charity case" at a table filled with Epics, to the right of the Epic Dwarf/Bard in question, I second that opinion. As a side note, he had all the toys and was still screwed out of winning by the Elf Cabal (at the other end of the table) with a combined monster-stomp double win. Serves him right for hogging half the treasure card deck without having to be charitable. :-)
tempeststudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 04:56 PM   #4
Gawain

Timing is definatly not an issue with this card, I'll tell you that much. And I'm inclined to say that the treasuergrabbing is skipper after the first combat, and that you have to beat the monster(s) a second time to get to grab it. I think that's the way we've played it at least. Been a while!
Old 07-17-2006, 10:28 PM   #5
thedude

"Play this card after any combat ends"

and later on the card "New cards, including enhancers, can be played on the new combat."

Since this card can only be played after combat is over, the results of that combat must be resolved first. This includes bad stuff, levels gained, and treasures drawn.
thedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:05 AM   #6
GodsWorshipMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude
"Play this card after any combat ends"

and later on the card "New cards, including enhancers, can be played on the new combat."

Since this card can only be played after combat is over, the results of that combat must be resolved first. This includes bad stuff, levels gained, and treasures drawn.
Try this interpretation: "Play this card after any combat ends."

the combat has finished, but you haven't looted the bodies yet, so you have to deal with the sequel... this also means, if you successfully defeat the sequel, that there will be a second pile of loot for you to keep. This is how we play with this card, as it seemed straightforward at the time.

Telling your god how to act since 1999
GodsWorshipMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:36 AM   #7
MunchkinMan

It is important to remember that combat is a sub-phase of play that can be entered from one of the first two phases. The Loot The Room phase is the phase that includes taking Treasure won from combat, not just the phase you go to if you didn't fight a Monster.

That being said, I would support the ruling that the characters would have to fight and win, again, to get all the Treasure, but I will be verifying that one with the PTB.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:14 AM   #8
init0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan
but I will be verifying that one with the PTB.
What's PTB?
init0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:11 PM   #9
MunchkinMan

Powers That Be. In this case, people who can verify or explain design intent and will speak to me but not to you. Well, they'll speak to you and they'll tell you to talk to me. . .
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:00 PM   #10
MIB2826

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan
Powers That Be. In this case, people who can verify or explain design intent and will speak to me but not to you. Well, they'll speak to you and they'll tell you to talk to me. . .
They talk to me too:

Steve just told me "You are a munchkin hero. Go up a level."
MIB2826 is offline   Reply With Quote