Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-04-2017, 02:51 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Freezing People Solid

How exactly would you go about freezing people solid in GURPS with Afflictions and/or Innate Attacks? I was thinking of using a Fatigue Attacks with Freezing and a Follow-up attack of Affiliation with Heart Attack (with death representing the body freezing solid) though I am unsure if it is the best option. How would represent freezing people solid with an Affliction and/or Innate Attack?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:04 PM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: Freezing People Solid

I've used Binding with a Linked Fatigue Attack for freezing people in blocks of ice. There is also the possibility of Affliction (Paralyzing; Persistent; Extended Duration: Permanent) (cost of Permanent depending on whether it can be dispelled or not) for a more fatal version.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:15 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

If you are just killing people (as opposed to comic book reversible freezing) then it is probably just a special effect of non-incendiary burning damage and/or fatigue damage with the freezing hazard.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:43 PM   #4
whswhs

Is what you have in mind turning human body tissues into what amounts to impure water ice, like putting a carcass into the freezer? Some online research suggests that this is a slow process at best; industrial "flash freezing" processes use liquid nitrogen and take several hours. And the subject will die of hypothermia long before any major freezing takes place, though they might lose ears and fingers to frostbite.

However, if you want to imagine cinematically fast processes like what you see in comics, I would say that this sort of freezing amounts to whole body destruction. There's no way anyone is going to survive it by making HT rolls, and while you'll have the outward form of a human body, there'll be nothing left that could be physiologically functional. That sounds like inflicting 60 points of damage—probably mechanicked as Burning without incendiary effects. So maybe 17d, or 20d if you want to have a margin. Buy an attack at that level of damage. I wouldn't mess with Fatigue attacks; the process you're describing has nothing in common with the way cold actually affects living organisms.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:58 PM   #5
Stone Dog

The same way you turn people to stone, just call it ice.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:08 PM   #6
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Dog View Post
The same way you turn people to stone, just call it ice.
In fact, Gurps Magic has a Flesh to Ice Spell. It costs more than Flesh to Stone but can be reversed (non-fatally) by simply melting or chipping away the ice.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:13 PM   #7
The Benj

A whole lot of Freezing Fatigue damage.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote