Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 01-22-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
Zanatar

Default Question on usage of Transferral Potion

Ok I was playing a game of Munchkin last night in which my son was in a scenario that won him the game. I want to make sure what he did is in fact a legal move in relation to this card.

Basically he was level 8. I, myself was fighting a monster (King Tut) and I could not beat it. My son offered to help me kill the monster , in exchange of having 2 of the 4 treasures. I accepted the offer.

He then played the "Transferral Potion" card, in which he stole the monster I was fighting form me, and he fought it himself. He was able to kill the monster , which granted him all 4 treasures (which is moot) and 2 levels, which won him the game, lvl 8 to 10.

Is that a legal use of that "Transferral Potion" card? Given the way he used it?

If he did , I applaud him, as that is very much in the nature and spirit of the game.

Thanks,
Zanatar.
Zanatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Question on usage of Transferral Potion

The only thing I question is why he offered to help you first. He could have played the Transferral Potion at any time.

Yes, it's totally legal.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #3
Zanatar

Ah fair point.

Ok well thank you for the reply.

I do have a follow up question, on that point which you made.

Exactly up to what point in the combat could he have used the "Transferal Potion" ? Let me raise a hypothetical scenario...

Same scenario mostly as above.. in that my son is lvl 8.. and I am fighting the same monster (King Tutt).. But lets change it so that I am in fact able to beat it.. and I play some boosts and whatnot, to make it possible for me to beat him.

Would my son, be able to wait until the end of my combat.. within the 2.6 seconds of my having beaten King Tutt..(before I claim victory) and then spring the "Transferal Potion" on me? Which would take the monster away from me.. stealing my win and he instead beats it and gains 2 levels and wins?

And also would I lose my boosts in that scenario, that I used to allow me to beat King Tutt?

Thanks,
Zanatar.

Last edited by Zanatar; 01-22-2014 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Follow up Question
Old 01-22-2014, 09:51 PM   #4
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanatar View Post
Would my son, be able to wait until the end of my combat.. within the 2.6 seconds of my having beaten King Tutt..(before I claim victory) and then spring the "Transferal Potion" on me? Which would take the monster away from me.. stealing my win and he instead beats it and gains 2 levels and wins?
It is perfectly legal to play Transferral Potion in the reasonable time you must provide before winning the combat, yes. All the One-Shot Items you had played to the Munchkin side would be discarded, but any that had been played to the monster side would stay. If your son could beat the monster, he still needs to provide you reasonable time to play cards to stop him from winning too (hopefully you have some more One-Shots, a Wandering Monster or a Monster Enhancer to play against him).

Quote:
And also would I lose my boosts in that scenario, that I used to allow me to beat King Tutt?
If you are meaning One-Shot Items, then yes, they are discarded when the Transferral Potion is played.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:50 AM   #5
Zanatar

Thanks so much.

I love these rules and how the game is played.. you help people almost in disguise. You can never trust anyone who helps you, as everyone is helping for there own benefit.
I especially love how the cards are designed for that type of scheming in mind.

This is so much my type of game. I really don't know how I never discovered this before! :)