Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Default Progress blog on new Ogre projects

At the moment we have three separate Ogre projects underway, which is three more than we've had going at once for quite a while. Understandably, there's interest. To save you folks the trouble of asking "How is X going?" and save me the trouble of bleeding from my eyeballs and screaming, here's a locked, sticky thread in which I'll report progress on a completely irregular basis.

At the moment:

Ogre Miniatures Lite is waiting for some production time in which the layout will be completely changed in hopes of fitting in some more Stuff. Phil will probably do this himself.

Ogre Miniatures (First Edition Revised) got a bit more attention today. I identified two trouble spots, dealt with one, and need to do some research on the other before I decide whether there's an issue worth posting on the forum.

Ogre 6th Edition is still in the component planning stages. Price, box size, map size, and counter size are all tied together, and none has any strict constraints. Some of you will happily pay $80 if the game is big and beautiful enough; some of you can't go over $40 or so, no matter how nice it is. The box will have to be big but can't be TOO big, or retailers won't be able to shelve it, and in the end, neither will you. The map has to be big enough to support big counters, and it would be wonderful if it would hold actual miniatures. The counters should be at least 3/4" and could reasonably be any size up to an inch. So numbers are being juggled, and when I have reduced the situation to two or three reasonable alternatives, we'll let the printer bid on them. At which point, if none of the alternatives yields a reasonable price, we start over . . .

However, I have already noted a tiny rules issue which has its own forum thread now.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:54 PM   #2
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Default Re: Progress blog on new Ogre projects

The first draft of the update for Ogre Miniatures has been posted. See the thread "Ogre Minis Update is posted."

Phil and I worked on Ogre Miniatures Lite, or to be more correct, he worked on it, and I looked at it and said "Neat! Now we have room for Mark III and V record sheets!" They probably won't be pretty, but they'll be THERE.

The first specs for Ogre 6th Edition have gone to the printers for bidding.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:11 AM   #3
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Very occupied on other things, mainly income tax and Munchkin Quest, and have not caught up on the forums in more than a week, but there has been a bit of progress on actual game work.

Good progress: Ogre Minis Lite has been through more iterations. We got a Mark III record sheet on there and added a few more variant units. Aaaaaaalmost ready to post.

Not-so-good progress: The first print bids for Ogre 6e came back, and they're too high. Plan B is under consideration.

And some great news: Detailed Casting Products is back in business. Their site is at www.detailedcastingproducts.com. I have dropped Darell a note to see if he wants to resume production of the Ogre Miniatures resin structures.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:51 AM   #4
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

A new version of Ogre Miniatures Lite is posted. Again, comments welcome. We think that, modulo any errors you catch, this is close to the final version - at some point we will add live links.

www.sjgames.com/ogre/resources/ogrelite.pdf
Old 05-18-2008, 12:24 AM   #5
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Live and learn. The Munchkin Quest delay may have opened a hole in our print schedule, but since we were still working to get MQ out, we didn't have nearly as much time as we needed for Ogre. Especially since the print buying has been a challenge. We still think we'll deliver a very nice game at a price that won't require you to sell more than one of your organs. But Phil Reed has worked very hard to make it so, and it's not yet a done deal. And it will come out after MQ, not before.

Everyone who has been suggesting we contract FireHorse to do Ogre stuff: You can stop telling us. Because we did. He has been completely redoing the layout of Ogre Minis Lite. So much so that we now need to think about how to use the space he opened up. There may be a draft posted soon for comment.

I'm officially on vacation for the next month. I am still allowed to work on Ogre stuff, but I'm also allowed NOT to. So . . . some work will be done, but I have promised myself and others that I will not treat this as a deadline situation. I'm going to work in some actual R&R.

More as it happens.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:18 PM   #6
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Ogre Miniatures Lite is posted. Quoting the Illuminator that posts tonight (you can ignore the explanation, because everybody reading this knows what it is).

OML is a brand-new version of the old "Ogre Lite" reference sheet. It isn't really Ogre Miniatures on two sides of an 8.5" x 11" sheet, because if we could do that we wouldn't need the rest of the book, but it IS a great cheat-sheet for experienced players, and a perfect handout for newbies at a convention.

And it's a free download on e23 - that's e23.sjgames.com, for those who haven't visited.

That's all very well, you ask, but what about Ogre Miniatures itself? When will it be out in PDF?

Real . . . soon . . . now . . .

I decided to get the new OML out of the way first, and it took longer than expected. Months longer. Don't ask. But now it IS out of the way, and I'll be looking at the remaining Ogre Miniatures revisions as one of my next "working a bit while on vacation" projects. This has been ALMOST done for those same months.

Last edited by Steve Jackson; 06-12-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:45 PM   #7
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

I put in a couple of hours tonight getting up to speed on the remaining Ogre Miniatures revision issues. The questions that will take the most time to sort out are the LAD and the Superheavy. I will attack them ASAP when I am back in town.

There is also a new issue that arose while combining the Ogre and G.E.V. rules. I've started a new thread to discuss that. It's called "Rubble."

Pretty much everything else is under control. Really, it's time to shoot the designer and ship the game.

Last edited by Steve Jackson; 07-03-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:42 PM   #8
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

. . . and I gave it a couple more hours tonight.

Random sobering thought: Not only are the Ogre rules older than some Ogre players . . . they are probably older than the fathers of some Ogre players.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:39 PM   #9
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

. . . and I am down to a single rules issue for the Ogre Miniatures revision document. See http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=38441 to participate in resolving it.

I will sit down with Phil today and discuss the production issues.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:50 AM   #10
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

The Ogre Miniatures update text has been delivered to Production, and it has a high priority. I expect you'll see it in e23 soon. There will be two PDFs - the errata and addenda, free, for those who already have the book, and the scanned book PLUS the errata and addenda, for those who wish to give us money.
Closed Thread