Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-16-2010, 11:36 AM   #11
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Full-contact Combat Sports

Persuant to the above, it would be entirely fair to say that the contact element alone accounts for a mere -1, and that combat skills, Combat Sport skills, and Combat Art skills default at -1 in duels with similar weapons, where the main difference is how much force is put to what end. That would come to at most a 4-point difference, possibly worth paying for if you want to be equally good at a broad range of activities (whereas a 12-point difference is a little punishing, I'll grant).

However, there would then be a further -2 in any situation that isn't a duel with similar weapons. This would in effect be an unfamiliarity penalty. After surviving a battle, you could note familiarity with its situation (e.g., "two spearmen, three swordsmen, and a wrestler vs. me, an ally with a staff, and another ally with sword-and-shield"). The sum-total penalty would still be -3, but not all of it would be a default penalty.

This might be attractive to some GMs. Personally, I'd find the long list of familiarities annoying.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #12
PK

Also, for those who find the penalty between Combat and Combat Art/Sport too high, I've been treating it as an Average technique (as a house rule), instead of an actual default, for quite a while now and have yet to encounter a balance issue or other problem. It actually solves a few problems, too, like the issue where you're a fool to buy up Judo Art if you know Judo at DX+3 (since every 4 points you spent to do so could've been used to raise Judo and thus Judo Art via default).

(Gotta remember to throw that one up on MyGURPS some time -- it's passed my 'playtest threshold' IMO.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:54 AM   #13
Figleaf23
Banned

Clear and persuasive logic there from Dr Kromm. I feel that in modern 'western hemisphere' settings it would be appropriate to require a 'UB: Combat Exposure' to allow purchase of real combat skills.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:11 AM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Clear and persuasive logic there from Dr Kromm. I feel that in modern 'western hemisphere' settings it would be appropriate to require a 'UB: Combat Exposure' to allow purchase of real combat skills.
So all professional warriors have Sport versions of their job skills if they haven't been in a kinetic engagement? That doesn't really make any sense, the purpose of military training is to prepare you for combat.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:22 AM   #15
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post

So all professional warriors have Sport versions of their job skills if they haven't been in a kinetic engagement? That doesn't really make any sense, the purpose of military training is to prepare you for combat.
Good training can stand in for actual combat experience. The training would still have to account for variations in number and armament, though. I totally agree with the sentiment, "The firing range doesn't prepare you for anything." In a modern-day setting, those who've done live-fire exercises, dynamic range work, and maneuvers with (and against) entire units would have real combat skills. Those who've shot tin targets and listened to some guy talk about how to load an AK-47 . . . not so much.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #16
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
  • Battling those armed differently from you. Regardless of what your skill covers, you're prepared to deal with foes who attack you with slams and grappling moves; with fists, feet, headbutts, teeth, horns, etc.; or with weapons. If your opponents are armed, you're ready for crushing, cutting, or impaling weapons; one- or two-handed weapons; anything from close-combat weapons to full-length pikes; and single weapons, paired weapons, or dissimilar sets.
I would limit this requirement to what you can reasonable expect within the setting. And if don't want to give oddball for the setting encounters for 'free' then simple role your weapon skill against 10 (not stat) to see if you skilled enough to ad lib without suffer an circumstance plenty.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:35 AM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Good training can stand in for actual combat experience. The training would still have to account for variations in number and armament, though. I totally agree with the sentiment, "The firing range doesn't prepare you for anything." In a modern-day setting, those who've done live-fire exercises, dynamic range work, and maneuvers with (and against) entire units would have real combat skills. Those who've shot tin targets and listened to some guy talk about how to load an AK-47 . . . not so much.
Modern (at least US) infantry combat training does have all those sorts of exercises you are talking about.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #18
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
I actually chose the word 'exposure' to accomodate the possibility of other routes than actual experience. I suppose I should have said that.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:24 PM   #19
Agemegos

Quote:
Modern (at least US) infantry combat training does have all those sorts of exercises you are talking about.
Yes, and it apparently made a huge difference to the performance of green troops and especially junior officers when it was introduced.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat sport, full contact, kromm explanation