Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 08-28-2017, 08:25 PM   #11
lachimba

Default Re: [DFRPG] The Scholar, Revised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davies View Post
The profession's combat skills are on the same level as those of a bard or a thief. Are they ineffective in combat?
Yes. I would say so.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:19 PM   #12
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I don't think I would play a scholar without Book-Learned Wisdom, otherwise they are pretty ineffective delvers, IME.
I play one now* and I refused to take Book Learned Wisdom because I see it as a failure of an ability.

* Kinda. It's a Sage, so a 125 point character. but the point still stands.

Quote:
I guess if being smart while being eaten by trolls is fun.
Getting the last and most smart-alecky word in is always fun.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:22 AM   #13
Crystalline_Entity

I always like the idea of playing a scholar, but reading the template left me wondering what it was really like to play one in practice.

Wild Talent is great...once per game session, you can do almost anything (especially IQ-based skills or spells given your high IQ)...but once you've used it, that's it for the session. It stops you intruding on other template's niches, but it looked handy in an emergency.

Book-Learned Wisdom on the other hand is flexible, but takes ages - two hours per character point to memorise plus having to carry the weight of books around (even carrying multiple Primers around adds up fast) means that you can't easily reslot abilities mid-delve.

The Hidden Lore and other skills are nice, but I'm not sure how effective they make a delver compared to other templates.

The Sage template seems a little more flexible on paper than a Scholar, with more choice, if I wanted to play a scholarly character I might be tempted to build up a Sage to 250 points than a Scholar, that way I can avoid Book-Learned Wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I play one now* and I refused to take Book Learned Wisdom because I see it as a failure of an ability.

* Kinda. It's a Sage, so a 125 point character. but the point still stands.
If you don't mind me asking, how do you find playing a Sage? How does it compare with other characters?
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:02 AM   #14
scc

Quote:
I don't think I would play a scholar without Book-Learned Wisdom, otherwise they are pretty ineffective delvers, IME.
Yep, Book Learned Wisdom is what Scholar's are all about. Personally I wouldn't say it's a very useful thing, it's a good back-up to an existing build, but it shouldn't be you entire character.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:19 AM   #15
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalline_Entity View Post
Wild Talent is great...once per game session, you can do almost anything (especially IQ-based skills or spells given your high IQ)...but once you've used it, that's it for the session. It stops you intruding on other template's niches, but it looked handy in an emergency.

Book-Learned Wisdom on the other hand is flexible, but takes ages - two hours per character point to memorise plus having to carry the weight of books around (even carrying multiple Primers around adds up fast) means that you can't easily reslot abilities mid-delve.
In almost all cases I personally feel those points are better spent on skills... which is what I did.

Quote:
The Hidden Lore and other skills are nice, but I'm not sure how effective they make a delver compared to other templates.
They aren't a front-line fighter. What they bring is knowledge.

Does that unknown beasty have a targettable weakness? What are it's powers? How is it likely to attack? Are it's remains valuable? Hidden Lore.

And of course all the other skills.

My choice if I were to remake the character would be to go the Jack-of-All trades route rather than the Dabbler route... but Dabbler ain't been bad.

My build is more of a "Let's make a 3/4s Sage, 1/4 Agent, a dabbling in Thief (Lockpicking and Traps), with Psionic Background*, and a bunch of languages".

Honestly a almost a fifth of my points are in languages and Language talent (24 points). The character does a lot of poorly Accented talking...

* It's for later expansion into a powerset... but since I've discovered I really hate the way Psionics have been built, not sure I'm going to pursue it.

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, how do you find playing a Sage? How does it compare with other characters?
Again, ain't no front-line fighter**. Though my build is [barely] adequate on the armor side and has a Staff for doing the "All-Out Defense" thing as his disads keep getting him into the front and second lines anyway.

** Which I'm okay with. I've got three other character I play in other games that can do that (okay two of them can do that, the fourth is a 'utility Wizard' with 'terrible' combat skills (though not as bad as the Sage's)).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:43 AM   #16
Bullettop

Anyone able to give an off topic Rules Clarification in GURPS? Have a question about self control vs. will?
Bullettop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:02 AM   #17
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullettop View Post
Anyone able to give an off topic Rules Clarification in GURPS? Have a question about self control vs. will?
Please start a new thread for that.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:48 AM   #18
Bullettop

Can anyone tell me how to start a new thread. I have a specific Rules question
Bullettop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:52 AM   #19
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullettop View Post
Can anyone tell me how to start a new thread. I have a specific Rules question
Go to the GURPS subforum and push the "Start New Thread" button.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:50 AM   #20
Davies

Quote:
I guess if being smart while being eaten by trolls is fun.
That's what all the beefy meat shields in front of you are for.
Davies is offline   Reply With Quote