Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-28-2016, 07:27 AM   #11
Railstar

Default Re: [Basic] Skills of the week: Enthrallment and Musical Influence

As Horror suggests, I like using Enthrallment for vampires or similar creatures as “soft” mind control – the Mind Control advantage represents the brute force taking over the will, while Enthrallment is the slower and more subtle variations.

I never really understood Captivate enough to make use of it. They act as your loyal supporters, but they perceive themselves as in a tale… which to me sounds like they are aware of being under some kind of judgement impairing effect afterwards. That is in many ways the most risky because it is closest to obvious mind-control.

Persuade is one of my favourites because it is both lasting and subtle – the improved reaction rolls last until you alienate that person, so it can be used for establishing long-term influence over a subject. There's no effect if the roll fails, so barring FP costs you can make lots of regular use of it.

Suggest is a more short-term trick – it specifies that the target believes their actions were their ideas, which to me suggests the spirit of the rules is that they do not trace their behaviour back to you. In some ways I think it would make good “throwaway/disposable pawns”, although with the resistance bonuses for dangerous or immoral actions I think knowing what to Suggest is as much a skill as being able to Suggest it. I'd very much enjoy making a list of general ideas that would work within Suggest's limitations.

Sway Emotions is one I have never truly bothered with – I generally assume a Public Speaker could invoke the emotions desired anyway. However, I suppose it is a good combo move, such as to motivate them to be more receptive to Suggest.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:55 PM   #12
edk926

This is a bit late, but Power Ups 3 has the Mesmerist Talent (Source: Horror) that includes all 4 Enthrallment skills and Musical Influence skills. It doesn't have the Public Speaking skill though.
edk926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:05 PM   #13
Alonsua
Banned

Are any of these skills realistic? They look pretty interesting!
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:23 PM   #14
Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evadam View Post
Are any of these skills realistic? They look pretty interesting!
No! But there's precedent in science fiction. Asimov's Foundation had the Mule, a villain who used a visisonor to change people's emotions and thus disrupt the flow of history.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:55 PM   #15
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
No! But there's precedent in science fiction. Asimov's Foundation had the Mule, a villain who used a visisonor to change people's emotions and thus disrupt the flow of history.
For what it's worth, I believe Musical Influence entered GURPS from Alan Dean Foster's Humanx setting (for the neurophon, in Cachalot (1980)), which was a very early GURPS sourcebook. The names and dates made me wonder if Foster borrowed it from the shiltpron in Jacqueline Lichtenberg's Unto Zeor Forever (1978), but it's an old SF (and fantasy) idea.

The Enthrallment skills convert a bardic storytelling mechanic from Bunnies and Burrows - a game where your characters are rabbits.

They're not only not realistic, they're rather bad fits for the rest of modern GURPS skills and abilities because of that history.
Old 12-31-2017, 04:48 AM   #16
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
That´s a bit sad, I really liked those skills but I thought they were unrealistic too xD
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basic, enthrallment, musical influence, skill of the week