Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #151
Philomath

Default Re: Danger Sense in Dungeon Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1 View Post
What about these?
A PC walks into a room . . .

. . . containing a trapped chest.

. . . containing a sleeping monster.

. . . containing orcs [with qualifiers].
IMO, these go like this:

A PC walks into a room containing a trapped chest. Danger Sense pings if he indicates intention to manipulate the chest or is in the blast radius when somebody else triggers the trap.

Danger Sense pings before the PC walks into the room with the sleeping monster.

Danger Sense would ping if the PC makes any intention to go through either one of the doors (aside from the one he came in probably). It shouldn't matter if it's orcs without current intent or a rock trap without current intent. Either will be a danger.
Unrelatedly, I am now recruiting new players.
Philomath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:40 PM   #152
mlangsdorf

Quote:
I understand that Danger Sense will ping for a trapped exit or the arrival of a monster. What about these?

A PC walks into a room containing a trapped chest. Does Danger Sense ping?

A PC walks into a room containing a sleeping monster. Does Danger Sense ping?

A PC walks into a room. Behind one of the doors leading out of the room is a room full of Orcs. The Orcs don't know that the PC is there and have no present intention of leaving their room, but if they do see the PC, they will attack. Does Danger Sense ping?
Yes: he's in danger if he tries to open the chest.

Yes: there's a dangerous monster in the room. Danger Sense sometimes provides redundant information.

Yes, possibly: to me, this is similar to Kromm's example of two doors. The PC can take action that would expose himself to danger.

Now I personally wouldn't roll Danger Sense until the PC tried to open the chest (or was in the blast radius of the trap if someone else tried to open it), or people started making noise, or people tried to open the door. But I also wouldn't let people take back their behavior based on the Danger Sense warning. In my view, Danger Sense doesn't let one avoid setting off a trap or ambush, it just puts in a better position to dodge the first wave of attacks.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #153
Fish

Quote:
A PC walks into a room containing a trapped chest. Does Danger Sense ping?
I would make his Danger Sense roll as he walks into the room, but (if the roll succeeds) I wouldn't necessarily tell the player right away that he senses danger, depending on what else is in the room. Obviously, if there's a monster in the room, or something else to occupy their immediate attention, I wouldn't bring it up right away.
Quote:
A PC walks into a room containing a sleeping monster. Does Danger Sense ping?
No. Danger Sense is (in my book) for enemies lying in ambush, impending disaster, falling rocks, and so on. It is not Monster Radar.
Quote:
A PC walks into a room. Behind one of the doors leading out of the room is a room full of Orcs. The Orcs don't know that the PC is there and have no present intention of leaving their room, but if they do see the PC, they will attack. Does Danger Sense ping?
No. If the Orcs attack with full surprise, the PC gets a chance to roll for Danger Sense. Again, it is not Monster Radar.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantages, dungeon fantasy, kromm explanation