Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #11
Bruno

Default Re: IQ based Forced Entry roll?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabani View Post
So Guns, Brawling, Two-Handed Axe/Mace, etc., are the skills you use to break stuff down if you *don't* have Forced Entry?

I think I would apply penalties in those instances, then, as I don't see combat skills as necessarily teaching one how to attack the hinges or lock or whatever properly.
The "penalty" is "doesn't get damage bonuses the way Forced Entry Guy gets" - sure, Mrugnak gets 3d+7 cut to use his SM +1 Dueling Halberd to try and break through a door, but he gets 3d+13 cut if he has Forced Entry at DX+2, and can probably try a second Forced Entry skill roll to minimize damage to the Halberd too.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #12
The Resistance
Banned

Default Re: IQ based Forced Entry roll?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
In view of all that, an IQ-based roll would be sensible for assessing which method to use in a particular case. For instance, objects attacked using Forced Entry are usually Homogenous, but might be Unliving or (less often) Diffuse, and possibly have the Fragile disadvantage – Brittle, Combustible, etc. – or even Electrical. A rare few have exotic forms of Injury Tolerance, like Damage Reduction. As well, DR and HP vary, and some objects have low HT and will almost certainly fail at 0 HP, while others have very high HT and will need to be battered to -5×HP. An IQ-based roll before you start would let you pick an approach whose damage type and amount can usefully affect the target, estimate the time to cut or bash through, and remember what hazards might follow (lots of broken glass, a fire, a collapsing beam, etc.).
Now that's what i'm talking about.
The Resistance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kromm explanation