Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #11
jason taylor

Default Re: Historial weapons videos and their use for GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_H View Post
Practice armor is real armor, at least when it comes to steel. I have heard of some folks using heavy padding under chainmail for SCA combat. And I tell you, after being on tghe receiving end, they are hard blows, enough to cause teal damage if steel weapons were used.
That's fine enough. But given that the original weapons were made to kill, SCA armor has to be far superior to the armor of the time period if anyone is to risk striking a real blow.

Now if all you're imitating is a tourney you can reasonably state that you have reproduced the blows that would have been used in a tourney. If you are trying to claim you are reconstructing combat you must assume that the blows struck are blows that would be struck if a combatant is actually trying to kill his opponent.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Have you seen any of the vidoes for the Battle of the Nations? By no means the free for all of actual combat it does seem to raise force with blunted steel weapons to a new level for those studying WMA.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #13
gruundehn

Years ago there was a show on cable, The Learning Channel I think, called Conquest which had a team of people under a leader examining various issues. The leader seemed fairly knowledgeable about weapons issues. I remember two episodes, one concerning Viking ax work and the other concerning renaissance sword schools of fighting. I remember that the ax was shown being used in a figure-8 pattern of attack which the show claimed forced the sword-and-board guy to concentrate on defending to the point that he couldn't spare any effort to attack. In GURPS terms the ax-wielder was using AOA (Double) every round and he sword-and-board was AOD, block to every attack. I don't remember how long they kept this up but it wasn't on the screen for more than a minute or so, and it could have been edited for time but I don't remember.

Last edited by gruundehn; 12-01-2013 at 11:32 PM. Reason: typo
gruundehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:13 AM   #14
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Has practice armor developed to the point where you can strike real blows without fear of causing serious injury?
I have an aluminum plate on my back peice because I have spina bifida. You can break a foam weapon on it and it won't hurt me.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:33 AM   #15
Anthony

Quote:
Practice armor is real armor, at least when it comes to steel.
Yeah, but the thing is, a sport that has 1% of the danger level of real combat would be considered unacceptably dangerous, so armor that's sufficient for combat may not be sufficient for sport.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:29 AM   #16
Mike_H

Quote:
That's fine enough. But given that the original weapons were made to kill, SCA armor has to be far superior to the armor of the time period if anyone is to risk striking a real blow.

Now if all you're imitating is a tourney you can reasonably state that you have reproduced the blows that would have been used in a tourney. If you are trying to claim you are reconstructing combat you must assume that the blows struck are blows that would be struck if a combatant is actually trying to kill his opponent.
Many make their armor to exacting standards of the originals. Yes, there is a minimum thickness needes for sca but if you study the old armors, they are not that far apart.
Mike_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:30 AM   #17
Mike_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Yeah, but the thing is, a sport that has 1% of the danger level of real combat would be considered unacceptably dangerous, so armor that's sufficient for combat may not be sufficient for sport.
Look up full contact jousting....
Mike_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:56 AM   #18
Dangerious P. Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
Those looked the kind of video an inexperienced LARPer would make. Trust me on this, My group is mostly well past that stage. In any case, they don't accurately portray the capabilities of any able bodied member of the warrior culture above the conscript level. Nevermind the exceptional ones.
I'd be curious to see some videos of your group if there are any about.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #19
jason taylor

Quote:
Look up full contact jousting....
Which would clearly attract the unfriendly attention of the law.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #20
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Which would clearly attract the unfriendly attention of the law.
Considering it's legitimate, licensed, and 100% legal, it's a thing. And yes, they are insured.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dark ages, fighting, low tech combat, spear and shield, viking martial arts