Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
jamesfoxbr

Default [RPM] Question about Limited

How much cost a Limitation for Ritual Adept Advantage: can't improvise new rituals and need use the rituals from limited know list like a grimoire? This make more sense in the campaign setting I'm using. I need use this Limitation to make Advantage cost less or is fine use the same price?
jamesfoxbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Default Re: [RPM] Question about Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesfoxbr View Post
How much cost a Limitation for Ritual Adept Advantage: can't improvise new rituals and need use the rituals from limited know list like a grimoire? This make more sense in the campaign setting I'm using. I need use this Limitation to make Advantage cost less or is fine use the same price?
When I asked about "Ritual Adept (Ritual Mastery or Grimoire only)," I was told it was probably worth -50% or -60%.

So only the spells you REALLY know, or have written in front of you, get to use the Ritual Adept advantage. (And note that the four sections of Ritual Adept can have this limitation bought off separately.)
Old 12-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
Angle

Ritual adept just reduces casting time and difficulty, he wants a limitation for magery. I'd say that Mastered Rituals and Grimoire References is -50%, myself. just slap that on magery, with (levels only), and you're good. And you might as well put it on Ritual Adept too, while you're at it.
Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
jamesfoxbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angle View Post
Ritual adept just reduces casting time and difficulty, he wants a limitation for magery. I'd say that Mastered Rituals and Grimoire References is -50%, myself. just slap that on magery, with (levels only), and you're good. And you might as well put it on Ritual Adept too, while you're at it.
Wait the correct is use the Limitation on Margery, not on Ritual Adept? If uses the limitation on magery a non-adept without Magery will improvise Rituals... I think the correct is use the Limitation on Ritual Adept. I don't wish anyone in the setting improvising Rituals.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Wait the correct is use the Limitation on Margery, not on Ritual Adept? If uses the limitation on magery a non-adept without Magery will improvise Rituals... I think the correct is use the Limitation on Ritual Adept. I don't wish anyone in the setting improvising Rituals.
You can put a limitation on both. Honestly, that sounds like what you want to do. That's how I've ran it in my games. And, yes, the limitation is -50%.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
If no one in the campaign setting can improvise rituals this is not a limitation - it's campaign feature and worth exactly 0 points. To be able to improvise rituals on the fly is a Unusual Background.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
jamesfoxbr

This is a good point using for campaign feature because wizards don't improvise in the setting (maybe only rare people from old traditions). How much suggest for Unusual Background cost?

The wizards/sorcerers (Adepts) will buy rituals for grimoires, I'm thinking about rules for wizards create Rituals using something like New Invention Rules too.

[Edit]
One more question, what the best way to use RPM working different for Arcane and Divine magic? I'm think if in my campaign clerics will use some variant RPM (maybe using the magery or changing magery to Power Investiture) or if I use Gurps Power: Divine Favors for clerics.

Last edited by jamesfoxbr; 12-01-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
This is a good point using for campaign feature because wizards don't improvise in the setting (maybe only rare people from old traditions). How much suggest for Unusual Background cost?
It depends on how rare you want it to be in the game. If it requires some training, but not a lot - 10 points. If you want it to equal the exact cost of a otherwise limited Ritual Adept in a typical campaign - 20 points, which would also be a fair amount for maybe a handful of such wizards per country or big city. If it's really rare, maybe a hundred or so people in the world - 50 points.

Quote:
The wizards/sorcerers (Adepts) will buy rituals for grimoires, I'm thinking about rules for wizards create Rituals using something like New Invention Rules too.
I did exactly this in a relatively short-lived campaign I ran. For more information on inventing new spells and how it might work read this post.

Become a Patron!
Old 12-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
[Edit]
One more question, what the best way to use RPM working different for Arcane and Divine magic? I'm think if in my campaign clerics will use some variant RPM (maybe using the magery or changing magery to Power Investiture) or if I use Gurps Power: Divine Favors for clerics.
I've suggested this in the past and I've submitted a Pyramid article that will cover this a bit more.

Become a Patron!
Old 12-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
jamesfoxbr

Page 20 say unless the caster rolls a critical failure he can abort a spell , but if he choose abort after already get some normal failures with quirks when abort ignore quirk effects or no?

Tags
limitation, ritual path magic