Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #1
Cowrie

Default Poison Skin Attacks (Aura+Takes Recharge? Alternate Attacks?)

I'm constructing a race the has poisonous skin. They secrete a small amount of toxin constantly, but when needed, they can voluntarily produce a larger, more potent quantity. They can only do that every so often (takes recharge), but during the 'rest period', the smaller toxic attack continues to function. When the larger one is activated, it replaces the smaller one, which would suggest making them alternate attacks, but then the recharge period would take them both out of commission, which I don't want. Is there a way around that? Also, regarding the takes recharge limitation, the attack is an aura, so I'm uncertain as to what defines a "use". Attacks are usually defined as having a use of 1 second, but auras can be maintained. By default, would the use period and accompanying recharge time for an aura attack be variable? If so, would it be reasonable to add minimum and/or maximum duration limitations?

Additionally, I'd sort of like the race to have the ability to apply their natural poison to weapons, but I have no idea how to stat something like that up. Any suggestions?
Cowrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Poison Skin Attacks (Aura+Takes Recharge? Alternate Attacks?)

For abilities that can normally be left on indefinitely, a "use" is 1 minute, modifiable by Increased/Reduced Duration.

Instead of replacing the smaller version, just add to it. Assuming this poison is a Contact Agent, DR penetration isn't a factor anyway.

As for adding to weapons, I'd say Imbuements are the way to go here.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I am not sure that natural secreted toxin that makes you poisonous to eat needs to be an attack anyway, it seems more like a perk combined with a racial reputation. A cycle of different periods of toxicity seems like a feature in that case.

No matter how you do it, if poisoning your weapons is a thing that takes time and Poisons rolls (e.g. it works like having access to a free poison) this is definitely just a perk.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:53 AM   #4
Cowrie

Adding on doesn't exactly work, because the two attacks have different levels of Resistible and different sets of symptoms. Side note, DR penetration isn't an issue, but it's a blood agent, not a contact one. Think poison dart frog, not jellyfish.

As far as imbuements, I'm not sure that's a good fit. I see them as basically just having to wipe the tip of their weapon on their skin, hardly something that requires a lot of skill, let alone specialization for each weapon.

Edit: A single bite attack against them or a targeted touch to an open wound or mucous membrane of a victim by a member of this race will cause poisoning. It's an attack, not a perk. I mean, Basic Set even mentions the possibility of Blood Agent Aura. A perk does sound about right for being able to apply the toxin to weapons, though.

Last edited by Cowrie; 11-20-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #5
Diomedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowrie View Post
Adding on doesn't exactly work, because the two attacks have different levels of Resistible and different sets of symptoms. Side note, DR penetration isn't an issue, but it's a blood agent, not a contact one. Think poison dart frog, not jellyfish.
If you don't want to make the larger attack simply an addition to the smaller one, your best bet is probably to put a limitation on it: (Does not stack with minor Aura, -X%). I'm not sure exactly what value it would be worth, but I'd say -20% as a maximum, more likely -5% to -10%.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:11 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Alternative Attack seems to work here fine. I think in the case of Auras a use for Limited Use probably should be a minute, based on the general rules for limiting persistent abilities. I think because you always have some poison, the weaker attack should have Always On.

Quote:
As far as imbuements, I'm not sure that's a good fit. I see them as basically just having to wipe the tip of their weapon on their skin, hardly something that requires a lot of skill, let alone specialization for each weapon.
Well if it that easy then I don't think a perk is appropriate. The perk solution is for a poison that requires a long action to apply and a Poisons roll, as a kind of accessory perk, it needs to work like a poison you could have as equipment.

You could do this as attacks with Universal Follow-Up and Requires Ready. Unfortunately I don't think that you can do this with the Auras because both Follow-Up and Blood Agent are Penetration Modifiers. Although I wonder if you could limit the Aura with Blood Agent and the Follow-Up with Requires Ready, and thus have them as modifiers for the same Innate Attack?

Alternatively you could use Envemoned Weapon but switch the default to Poisons. This makes the attack much more variable than I think you wanted, and loses resistable and a few other things, so I agree this probably is the better solution.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:45 PM   #7
Cowrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Alternative Attack seems to work here fine. I think in the case of Auras a use for Limited Use probably should be a minute, based on the general rules for limiting persistent abilities. I think because you always have some poison, the weaker attack should have Always On.
Oh, it already has always on, it's just that as I understand it, something that disables one part of the alternate attack set disables all of it. I would assume that means during the recharge period for the larger attack, neither is available. Which is not what I want.

Quote:
Well if it that easy then I don't think a perk is appropriate. The perk solution is for a poison that requires a long action to apply and a Poisons roll, as a kind of accessory perk, it needs to work like a poison you could have as equipment.

You could do this as attacks with Universal Follow-Up and Requires Ready. Unfortunately I don't think that you can do this with the Auras because both Follow-Up and Blood Agent are Penetration Modifiers. Although I wonder if you could limit the Aura with Blood Agent and the Follow-Up with Requires Ready, and thus have them as modifiers for the same Innate Attack?
Being able to act as either an Aura with Blood Agent or a Follow-Up with Requires Ready seems like exactly the sort of thing the Alternative Enhancements rule from Power-Ups 4 is meant for. To make it so which limitation applies is dependent on the enhancement being used, it's probably best I still limit the enhancements rather than the advantages themselves. However, what book is Universal Follow-Up from? It sounds familiar, but I can't recall where I read about it.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:46 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Oh, it already has always on, it's just that as I understand it, something that disables one part of the alternate attack set disables all of it. I would assume that means during the recharge period for the larger attack, neither is available. Which is not what I want.
That's Alternate Abilities, Alternative Attacks (B61) are only disabled on malfunctions, critical failures, and external neutralization. For example if I have a rifle with an under-barrel grenade launcher, Limited Use on each represents separate ammunition supplies for each weapon; shooting my grenade doesn't empty my rifle magazine. Takes Recharge is just like Limited Use here, and doesn't disable Alternative Attacks.

Quote:
Being able to act as either an Aura with Blood Agent or a Follow-Up with Requires Ready seems like exactly the sort of thing the Alternative Enhancements rule from Power-Ups 4 is meant for. To make it so which limitation applies is dependent on the enhancement being used, it's probably best I still limit the enhancements rather than the advantages themselves. However, what book is Universal Follow-Up from? It sounds familiar, but I can't recall where I read about it.
GURPS Power-Ups 4: Enhancements p. 14.

The problem with using Alternative Enhancements here is that you don't lose your aura while your weapon is poisoned.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #9
Cowrie

Quote:
That's Alternate Abilities, Alternative Attacks (B61) are only disabled on malfunctions, critical failures, and external neutralization. For example if I have a rifle with an under-barrel grenade launcher, Limited Use on each represents separate ammunition supplies for each weapon; shooting my grenade doesn't empty my rifle magazine. Takes Recharge is just like Limited Use here, and doesn't disable Alternative Attacks.
That works out nicely, then. Thanks!

Quote:
GURPS Power-Ups 4: Enhancements p. 14.

The problem with using Alternative Enhancements here is that you don't lose your aura while your weapon is poisoned.
True. I guess just limiting the two enhancements is the way to go. Also, upon rereading the description for Requires Ready, I'm not sure that it's right. From the description, it requires constant ready maneuvers to maintain the ability, and it specifically says that you can't attack while using an ability with Requires Ready. Takes Extra Time is closer, though I'd prefer for it to be able to be readied up to a couple hours in advance before going inert. Preparation required allows it to be done in advance, but needs a minute at the lowest level and doesn't have a time cap after which the ability needs readied again. I'm considering just eyeballing a new limitation that requires a 1 second ready for it to be prepared for either the next 2 hours or until whenever the weapon next hits something, whichever comes first, at -6%. The cost is based on 2/3 the price of Takes Extra Time 1, the 2/3 coming from comparing the cost of Preparation Required to Immediate Preparation Required.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
True. I guess just limiting the two enhancements is the way to go. Also, upon rereading the description for Requires Ready, I'm not sure that it's right. From the description, it requires constant ready maneuvers to maintain the ability, and it specifically says that you can't attack while using an ability with Requires Ready. Takes Extra Time is closer, though I'd prefer for it to be able to be readied up to a couple hours in advance before going inert. Preparation required allows it to be done in advance, but needs a minute at the lowest level and doesn't have a time cap after which the ability needs readied again. I'm considering just eyeballing a new limitation that requires a 1 second ready for it to be prepared for either the next 2 hours or until whenever the weapon next hits something, whichever comes first, at -6%. The cost is based on 2/3 the price of Takes Extra Time 1, the 2/3 coming from comparing the cost of Preparation Required to Immediate Preparation Required.
Well this is probably actually below the amount of time it makes sense for Preparation Required since one second out of combat is effectively no time at all.

It is actually close to Limited Use (Fast Reload) -20% except the reload time is only one second. Either Takes Extra Time or Limited Use (Fast Reload) would be -2%.