Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-19-2014, 10:58 PM   #71
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Sex Appeal and Erotic Arts

There is always a character with Sex Appeal (both when I GM and PC). It's too useful, especially with the right skills, advantages, and perks. Especially when it's part of a Style. As a GM, I've learned how to do each influence skill well because many of my players look for it.

As for Erotic Art, it was almost never detailed until I started roleplaying through the internet for lack of physical range. With the disconnect, it makes it much easier to detail the scenes as much as the players and GMs want to. Then again, I'm patently not squeamish about sex. I have had an extremely detailed sexual encounter as a player because it was also a major boss fight.

I think a large trick is to ease players into thinking they are allowed to use either, and then to slowly push to the edge without them noticing. Almost none of my players are okay with rape happening on screen (and I've asked them ahead of time on that). Note that all of the above applies to many other parts in roleplaying; my players actually seem less okay with Intimidation than Erotic Art because I've made it a point that when an NPC is using (and succeeding) with an influence skill, they feel it.

EDIT: On the note of Christians (this is not to be offensive in anyway), it's hardest to know what they aren't okay with, since sometimes just asking about their limits can set them off. Strangely, whether or not a gamer of mine is one doesn't seem to have any statistical effect on their views on Sex Appeal and Erotic Art in gaming.

Last edited by kirbwarrior; 04-19-2014 at 11:01 PM.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:17 PM   #72
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
EDIT: On the note of Christians (this is not to be offensive in anyway), it's hardest to know what they aren't okay with, since sometimes just asking about their limits can set them off. Strangely, whether or not a gamer of mine is one doesn't seem to have any statistical effect on their views on Sex Appeal and Erotic Art in gaming.
In general, some people are just really hard to read (Christian or otherwise) and have radically different thresholds for what does and does not offend them. Sadly, in general it seems most of us are amazingly skilled at cognitive dissonance or don't really explore the what we claim to believe to the point we can identify, let alone resolve apparent conflicts.

It also doesn't help that "Christian" has such a broad meaning, with several groups that have incompatible takes on what it means in nearly all its facets. That's before getting into issues like how well one knows his or her professed religious beliefs.

Your sampling size is probably not large enough or controlled enough to detect any trends that may or may not be there. Plus the larger the overall population of people within a group, the more you need to meet to actually have an adequate sampling size; using the 2012 numbers (and trusting Wikipedia, which is probably a huge mistake XD) there are about 2.2 billion Christians in the world, so even if you'd gotten to know 2200 "Christians" that is one in a million... if I didn't blow the math. >.>

This actually is a good reminder for any such assumptions; given how many people in the world are "married", even having experience with dozens or hundreds of married couples probably won't let one identify any meaningful trends, especially as they aren't randomly picked but those with whom "you" had gamed.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:41 PM   #73
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Then again, I'm patently not squeamish about sex. I have had an extremely detailed sexual encounter as a player because it was also a major boss fight.
GURPS Anita Blake?

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:55 PM   #74
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Some years ago two of my players were big Frank Herbert fans, and they liked creating characters who had major levels Erotic Arts because it was part of the package of advanced Bene Gesserit-style pressure point fighting and loving techniques they wanted for their character concept. I think it became a plot point a couple of times.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:56 PM   #75
Keiko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
Some years ago two of my players were big Frank Herbert fans, and they liked creating characters who had major levels Erotic Arts because it was part of the package of advanced Bene Gesserit-style pressure point fighting and loving techniques they wanted for their character concept. I think it became a plot point a couple of times.
I can certainly understand that.
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:18 PM   #76
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
GURPS Anita Blake?
Close. Perks that let you push Wrestling and related skills' techniques to Erotic Arts can completely change what someone can do.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
erotic art, sex appeal