Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #41
Beguiler

Default Re: Enthrallment using Sex Appeal

Oh, found it! Says there that you need a margin of success of 8 or better to get a Excellent reaction with Sex Appeal... you'd almost need Sex Appeal 20+ for that though. I'd think the 12 Points in Alluring Influence would be cheaper then dumping so many points into Sex Appeal.
Beguiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:36 PM   #42
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beguiler View Post
Oh, found it! Says there that you need a margin of success of 8 or better to get a Excellent reaction with Sex Appeal... you'd almost need Sex Appeal 20+ for that though. I'd think the 12 Points in Alluring Influence would be cheaper then dumping so many points into Sex Appeal.
Yeah, p. 31. Sorry, I try to answer forum questions I know a bit about, but tonight I was running my game, playtesting some new material,...and do that. :-) 12 Points is a steal of a deal.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #43
Beguiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Yeah, p. 31. Sorry, I try to answer forum questions I know a bit about, but tonight I was running my game, playtesting some new material,...and do that. :-) 12 Points is a steal of a deal.
Definitely. An average appearance character who buys HT at 12, Sex Appeal to 16, and Alluring Influence is basically paying for almost guaranteed Excellent reactions for only 48 points altogether. Versus Average appearance, HT 12, and Sex Appeal at 24 for 68 Points altogether to get guaranteed Excellent reactions? That's 20 Points in savings. There's also a bit more utility to this limited form of Mind Control too, so it's totally more bang for buck.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:34 PM   #44
whswhs

Quote:
That should be under the Sex Appeal skill in the Characters and the Reaction Roll table in Campaigns.
That's if you want to use the alternate influence rolls with variable reactions. I put that into SE because it's part of the prior art, but I personally would never use it; I like the sharper distinction between native advantages and learned social technique.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #45
Beguiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
That's if you want to use the alternate influence rolls with variable reactions. I put that into SE because it's part of the prior art, but I personally would never use it; I like the sharper distinction between native advantages and learned social technique.

Bill Stoddard
So, since the influence rolls with variable reactions is really not recommended, this would have to mean buying the 12 Points for basically an always Excellent reaction and then some with Sex Appeal is most definitely better then regular old Sex Appeal with no more then a Very Good reaction. Even much more worth while then dumping so many points into Sex Appeal based Enthrallment it would seem.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:36 PM   #46
whswhs

Quote:
So, since the influence rolls with variable reactions is really not recommended, this would have to mean buying the 12 Points for basically an always Excellent reaction and then some with Sex Appeal is most definitely better then regular old Sex Appeal with no more then a Very Good reaction. Even much more worth while then dumping so many points into Sex Appeal based Enthrallment it would seem.
That's not necessarily a problem. Though if I were running a realistic campaign, Mind Control would not be one of the advantages I would allow. In a supers campaign, or a magic-as-powers fantasy campaign, or for that matter a horror campaign, I might allow it.

On the other hand, I've found that Mind Control can be a problem, because it derails storylines too easily. When I was starting my current supers campaign, one of my players specifically asked me to disallow mind control abilities because of her experience in a couple of previous supers campaigns. I urge caution with such things.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:42 PM   #47
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Definitely. An average appearance character who buys HT at 12, Sex Appeal to 16, and Alluring Influence is basically paying for almost guaranteed Excellent reactions for only 48 points altogether. Versus Average appearance, HT 12, and Sex Appeal at 24 for 68 Points altogether to get guaranteed Excellent reactions? That's 20 Points in savings. There's also a bit more utility to this limited form of Mind Control too, so it's totally more bang for buck.
It also occurs to me that this might make a excellent "higher" level of Appearence. And fits quite well with a project I'm working on. Though I did help hash it out, you inspired it, you mind it I snag it for an article I'm writing?

Quote:
Could you please clarify what you mean here, Bill?

Become a Patron!
Old 01-19-2014, 08:51 PM   #48
Beguiler

Quote:
That's not necessarily a problem. Though if I were running a realistic campaign, Mind Control would not be one of the advantages I would allow. In a supers campaign, or a magic-as-powers fantasy campaign, or for that matter a horror campaign, I might allow it.

On the other hand, I've found that Mind Control can be a problem, because it derails storylines too easily. When I was starting my current supers campaign, one of my players specifically asked me to disallow mind control abilities because of her experience in a couple of previous supers campaigns. I urge caution with such things.

Bill Stoddard
Well, alternatively, there could be NPC characters really high Will, Mind Shield, Anti-Psi abilities so that the PCs can't abuse it so much, and it might be encourged to the PCs to have them... but that seems like too much railroading into practically forced point spending which could just be avoided altogether with mind control just being forbidden like you said. Hence why I dislike Mind Control and Psionics in general myself, but I don't mind it if it's appropriate in the campaign.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:59 PM   #49
Beguiler

Quote:
It also occurs to me that this might make a excellent "higher" level of Appearence. And fits quite well with a project I'm working on. Though I did help hash it out, you inspired it, you mind it I snag it for an article I'm writing?
Absolutely! If this article is expanding upon how appearance works in GURPS, I'm all too supportive. IMHO, I've always felt that appearance in GURPS could have a bit more detail to it... there's a lot to work with already but for some reason I feel like there's some left to be desired that I just can't put my finger on.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #50
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Absolutely! If this article is expanding upon how appearance works in GURPS, I'm all too supportive. IMHO, I've always felt that appearance in GURPS could have a bit more detail to it... there's a lot to work with already but for some reason I feel like there's some left to be desired that I just can't put my finger on.
It tinges on it a bit, but is not completely about it. Thanks. :-)

Become a Patron!

Tags
enthrallment, sex appeal